Accountability...it hurts but time to face it

terryrow61
on 7/8/10 3:27 am - Garden Grove, CA

Hi Kathleen,
You are right, you are not a failure.  A lot of us wls people tend to eat more and gain some as time passes.  I had my surgery on August 10, 2007 and my lowest weight was 152 and now I am 162 which really upsets me and I give in to food.  However, after, after reading your post, I believe I have motivation to kick it in gear.  Better late than never. Also, facilitating a support group also helps to keep me in check.

Thanks for posting and making me think twice before I put the wrong choice and/or portion in my mouth.

The best of luck to you in your continued wls journey.

Hugs
Terry

ObesityHelp Support Group Leader

It sure is good C'ING LESS OF ME!

We could learn a lot from crayons: 
some are sharp, some are pretty, 
some are dull, some have weird names, 
& all are different colors....but they

ALL exist very nicely in the same box.

(Author Unknown)

tarateacher
on 7/13/10 6:19 pm
RNY on 08/07/07 with
 Hopefully yall will log in and check this.  I, too, have gained from my steady weight of 148 - (although i reached a low when sick of 136 but cant really count that - i was sick) and I am at 155 now.  It is a smaller gain but my clothes are tight too.  Don't be too hard on yourselves. Yes - you need to follow the rules. I do not break the 30/30 rule and I dont drink soda BUT I do have a hard time with sugar as i dont dump easily and I eat too many carbs, i have also fallen into my eating when bored routine.  I'm trying to break that mentally.  HOWEVER - my surgeon once told me about this weight gain - he said it would happen and he explained why.  he said that our bodies are machines well versed in survival.  It takes about 2 years but our bodies figure out what to do to get around this persistent starvation  mode we have kept it in since our surgeries.  What happens is our lower intestine - the part that is NOT bypassed gets smart. It figures out the bypassed section hasn't been doing its job of absorbing nutrients SO it does something to compensate for that limb of intestine "falling down on the job". It grows more villi - the tiny hairlike projections in our intestines that are responsible for absorbing nutrients. As a result, we absorb more of what we eat now - hence more calories stay in and are not eliminated in waste and as a result we can actually gain weight.  My surgeon said it is typically 10-20 lbs.  Most fus sound like we are in that window.  In order to lose these lbs you WILL have to go back to teh rules, eat your proteins first, no snacking, drink all tha****er, take the protein and most of all INCREASE your exercise because as you all know, calories burned must be greater than calories IN for anyone to drop pounds.  Good luck!  I am beginning to train for an other half marathon an get my ass back in shape and back in my "little" clothes!

Tara

Most Active
Recent Topics
Fills
nickilin · 0 replies · 742 views
5 years..feel great!
frazier · 0 replies · 773 views
5 years ago- Change my life!!
MELISSA52879 · 0 replies · 1015 views
5 years out..today
1hipmom · 1 replies · 903 views
how is everyone doing?