PORTION SIZE ?

LisaAC
on 1/13/08 10:40 am - Philadelphia, PA
"UNFORTUNETLY THERE'S NO SUPPORT GROUP AROUND HERE. THE NEAREST ONE IS ABOUT AN HOUR AWAY." Is it impossible to get to? I live in a very big city and am reliant on public transit. Basically, everything I want to do ends up being an hour away! For the good I get from support groups, it's worth the trip.
Aime B.
on 1/12/08 9:50 pm - Baltimore, MD
I must admit I never really measured anything. I just would eyeball it. Maybe I need to start measuring now. Some days it seems like I can eat anything while others I just can't eat. I have been so busy running for my son, my dil, and the baby that I rarely have the energy to post much. I still read every couple fo days.
PUDYTAT
on 1/13/08 5:20 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey aime, so good to hear from you. How is your daughter in law and the baby doing? We haven't heard any thing for so long, either that or I've missed your postings. I'm assuming the baby is still in the nicu, correct? And how's your dil's cardiac status? Better I hope after delivering. I find it so strange that all of us seem to have the same reactions. Some days we can eat alot and other days not feel like eating at all. I wonder what gives. So, tell me what you eat for different meals, what do you snack on? Do you cheat at times, and if you do, how guilty do you feel. Thanks for you participation. Donna, sfy
Aime B.
on 1/13/08 7:22 pm - Baltimore, MD
Hey Donna- Thanks for asking about the baby and N. Things are moving along very well for the baby. He was moved last week to a pediatric hopsital Since he has been there he has gained several ounces. I like to think it is because he is receiving TLC as well as medical care now. These are very loving and tender care givers. They are not so antiscpetic as they were at the hospital. They are encouraging about handling the baby and doing as much for him as possible. N is still having some issues. They increased her lasik (sp) as she was retaining fluid once again. She may have to be readmitted if the fluid buildup doesn't diminish. I can forsee that it is going to be touch and go over the next several months. I still eat a lot of soups and stews. They are easier for me. I do cheat, but usually only a bite. More than that and I will dump. I think I live off of cheese. I could eat cheese constantly. Those little babybel cheeses are perfect for lunch or a snack.
PUDYTAT
on 1/14/08 7:38 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY AIME, I'M SO GLAD TO SEE THAT THE BABY HAS BEEN MOVED TO A PEDS HOSP. THAT MEANS HE'S PROGRESSING, GROWING AND DOING WELL, OTHER WISE THEY WOULDN'T HAVE TRANSFERED HIM. YOU'D BE SUPPRISED HOW MUCH TLC ACCOUNTS FOR INCREASING THE HEALING PROCESS. WE'VE HAD "BOARDER BABIES" W/ US AND HAVE FOUND THAT THEY DEVELOP, THRIVE AND RESPOND SO MUCH BETTER WHEN WE CARRY THEM AROUND AND SHOWER THEM W/ LOVE AS OPPOSED TO LEAVING THEM IN THEIR BASSINETS EXCEPT FOR FEEDINGS, CHANGING AND BATHING. EVERY ONE CRAVES ATTENTION DISPITE THEIR AGE AND SIZE. I'M SO SORRY THAT "N" IS STILL HAVING PROBLEMS. THE CONDITION SHE HAS IS A LIFE LONG ONE AND ONE THAT CAN BE REALLY FRUSTRATING TO THE PATIENT AND THEIR FAMILIES. THE BEST MEDICINE FOR HER IS THIS BABY, YOUR SUPPORT AND LOVE. I HOPE SHE'S FOLLOWING DOCTORS ORDERS FAITHFULLY, STICK W/ THE LASIX, DECREASE SODIUM INTAKE, IF SHE EATS CANED VEGGIES SHE NEEDS TO RINSE THEM AS THEY TEND TO BE HIGH IN SODIUM, etc . . . I ALSO LOVE SOUPS AND STEWS. BUT I'VE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING THE SOUPS INTO MY MOUTH LATELY. FIRST, PUT THE BOWL IN THE MICROWAVE, UPON TAKING THE BOWL OUT IT SLIPED AND 3/4 OF THE CONTENTS SPILLED OUT ALL OVER THE COUNTER, UNDER THE MICROWAVE AND ONTO THE FLOOR, CLEAN UP ON ASILE 1. TRIED ANOTHER CAN, DROPED THIS ONE ON THE FLOOR, THE TOP POPPED OPEN, YEP, ANOTHER SPILL AND ANOTHER CLEAN UP, THIS TIME ON ASILE 2. GUESS WHAT, DIDN'T TRY FOR A THIRD ATTEMPT, HAD SOME BOILED SHRIMP INSTEAD. CHEESE? DID YOU SAY CHEESE? CAN YOU SAY CONSTIPATION? I SWITCH BETWEEN THOSE BABYBELS, 2% EXTRA SHARP AND MONTERAY JACK. I JUST TRIED AND LOVE LIGHT LAUGHING COW GARLIC AND HERB SOFT CHEESE. I EAT IT ON MATZOS. LIKE THESE BETTER THAT WHEAT THINS OR TRISCUITS. KEEP IN TOUCH AND LET ME AND EVERYONE ELSE KNOW HOW "N" AND THE BABY IS DOING. DONNA, SFY
Susan T.
on 1/18/08 11:57 am - Waco, TX
Hey Donna!! Ten days later, you hear from me!! Sorry I'm so late responding. Life has been happening. Now, to your questions....do I have days where I want to eat everything and other days where I don't want to eat a bite? In a word....YES!!! I think it depends on my protein consumption. Days I eat more protein, I seem to want to eat less amounts of food and I can go longer between eating. What am I eating? Anything and everything. Seriously. I stick to the protein first, then complex carbs rule and I try to make sure I'm getting in GOOD food vs. junk food. Some days I fail at that, but I have decided I did this surgery to be healthy and "normal". It's normal to me to have days where I maybe have a bag of chips (the little individual ones that you put in kids school lunches, not the big bags, lol) instead of say, cheese and crackers for a snack. I want to live life. Not be on a continual diet. I'm finally at my personal goal - size 6. My weight varies between 132-136. I'm comfortable with that. If it goes over 136, I watch what I eat for a few days, eat lots of proteins and really push H2O - like 80+ oz per day - until it goes back down. Usually only takes 1-2 days to drop whatever pounds I may have put on. My mantra is protein, h2o, vitamins, COMPLEX carbs and exercise. Have to admit since it's gotten cold, I'm not getting in as much exercise as I did back in the fall. Once Spring gets here though I'll be back out running with the dogs again. Hope that helps! Susan
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 239 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1241 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 996 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 962 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1114 views