Recent Posts

Susan C.
on 8/8/08 6:57 am
Topic: RE: Lap RNY 10/1
I'll look for you. I have surgery the same day - same place - same surgeon. I have my pats wed a couple weeks before. I wi**** will come fast!. susan
csubotich
on 8/7/08 12:38 pm - Northville, MI
Topic: RE: Lap RNY 10/1
I also received my date today and it is Oct. 1. Dr. Poplawski at Barix Center in Michigan. I'm excited and apprehensive.
cheryl S.
on 8/7/08 7:57 am - milford, NJ
Topic: RE: tentative date Oct. 8th
Yes I hope so. Still waiting for Ins. approval and also my work schedule says I can't have it any earlier than that.
Susan C.
on 8/7/08 7:06 am
Topic: Lap RNY 10/1
I just got my date. Finally I can't wait. Anyone else out there???? susan
Susan C.
on 8/7/08 7:04 am
Topic: RE: tentative date Oct. 8th
congratulations! You posted a while ago. Are U still haveing your surgery 10/8? susan
JackieBeth
on 7/29/08 3:37 am - Easton, MD
Topic: I have a Date
Hi, I have a date scheduled for my surgery on Oct. 29th. I'm having the Realize Band put in. I can't wait. I started my journey in April and my required 6 months is up in October!
cheryl S.
on 7/23/08 2:14 am - milford, NJ
Topic: tentative date Oct. 8th
I have a tentative date of Oct 8. That is the earliest available after my 6 month is up 8/5/08. Insurance approval should be back by then also.
MacMadame
on 6/19/08 12:07 pm - Northern, CA
Topic: RE: Sleeve or Gastric Bypass
I'm planning to get a sleeve in Oct. I looked into the lap band first. I never really considered Gastric Bypass. I don't want malabsorption. All WLS interfere with the production of ghrelin, the hormone that makes you hungry. But the sleeve is the only one what removes the fundus, which is the part of the stomach that produces most of your ghrelin. People who get sleeves report just not being hungry. Since my big problem is hunger, that appealed to me. It also restricts the amount of food you can eat just like bypass and the band. Short term and long term weight loss with a sleeve is comparable to GB, but it's not nearly as dangerous. There are no long-term complications. Short term complications -- leaks and strictures -- are rare. Also, the part of the stomach that you are left with isn't as stretchy as the part you are left with with a bypass so the chances you stretch out your new stomach and start regaining are less. All WLS can be gotten around. Certain foods are high in calories but slide right through your system. Bypass has the added component of malabsorption so if you do things like that, you won't gain as much as someone who has a band or sleeve who eats around it. Or maybe you'll dump. Dumping is one of those things that some people think is a disadvantage and some thing is an advantage. But the problem is, you can't count on it. Some people dump at first, but then grow out of it. Some never dump. Some dump forever. You don't know which you'll be until you have the surgery. The nice thing about the sleeve is that it started as a 2-part operation for people too sick to get bypass or DS. So you can start with it and then if you find you need the malabsorption later, you can do the second part. But if you don't need it, you've saved yourself the complications that often go with a bypass or DS. That's my take on it anyway.
kkr122003
on 6/2/08 3:32 pm
Topic: Sleeve or Gastric Bypass
Hi, I'm going to have surgery in October 08. I keep going between the Gastric Bypass and the Sleeve Gastric (also called Mini Gastric Bypass). I've read several articles on both.. I was wondering if anyone on here has had the sleeve, if so - do you regret having that over the Gastric Bypass Or not? My Dr said that all 3 surgeries are successful - just depends on what i want to live with - Lap Band - having the band in the rest of my life, Gastric Bypass - the dumping syndrome or the Sleeve..which the weight you loose is between the lap band & GB. Would like opinions.. Thanks!
cheryl S.
on 5/9/08 7:16 am - milford, NJ
Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1294 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1256 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 921 views