Recent Posts

(deactivated member)
on 9/29/16 6:44 pm
Topic: RE: Still Healthy After All These Years

Hi Kathy,

Congratulations on your weight loss and success in keeping 73lbs off long term. Do you take part in any support groups in CT? I'm not aware of much, although I live in Fairfield County, not near New Haven area.

Kathy B.
on 9/26/16 9:52 am - East Windsor, CT
Topic: Still Healthy After All These Years

I just wanted to submit some updated information.  I don't get on here very often - it's honestly been years, but I've been thinking that I might want to post an update.

I had RNY on 12/3/2003 with Dr. Robert Bell at Yale.  He was wonderful.  Several years later, however, I found that I could eat too much food, and I had gained back a substantial amount of weight.  After learning about a clinical trial in Boston at Brigham & Women's, I went to be evaluated and found out I had a fistula (a hole) in my pouch.  Apparently our hormones can be enemies, and some I mine wanted more food, so a hole developed.  I had it fixed at Brigham & Women's and lost most of the weight I had gained back.  Second time around weight doesn't come off as quickly, and you don't lose as much.

I went for my annual physical last week, and was thinking about the fact that I am so much healthier than I was almost 13 years ago.  I no longer need CPap, I no longer have high blood pressure, I no longer have high cholesterol, and I am no longer pre-diabetic!  Add to that the fact that I am also still down 73 lbs. from my highest weight, really made me grateful that I took this path. 

Hopefully this post will encourage someone else who is trying to decide if this is a worthwhile process.  Do your research, get a surgeon with a great experience rating, once you have your surgery, go as long as you can without trying calorie-ridden foods again - you won't crave them, so don't give in.  The longer you stick exactly to the program, the better your weight loss experience will be.

Besides the fistula, I have had no other negative side-effects.  I never vomited, although I do experience dumping if I eat the wrong foods - you live and learn!

Best wishes to all who are about to embark on this journey.  I hope you are as healthy 13 years later as I am now!

Kathy

emptynest
on 8/13/16 9:37 am
Topic: RE: Any successful CT revision patients?

Go to Yale.  All of the surgeon's in practice with Dr. Duffy are terrific.

I am in the process of going for a revision.  They did an endoscope and found that my stoma from my pouch is HUGE so basically nothing is staying in my pouch long enough for me to feel full.

Yale is the only place I would even consider going to for GB or a revision.  

emptynest
on 8/13/16 9:32 am
Topic: Looking for a reasonably priced Psych eva

I'm looking for a reasonably priced psych evaluation in CT.  The one at my Surgeon is $338 and insurance won't cover it.  

Does anyone have a suggestion for another Doctor with a reasonable price tag?

Sharese1
on 7/26/16 7:33 am
VSG on 08/31/16
Topic: RE: MEDICAID AND MEDICARE SURGEONS LIST!

Hi. I'm from Louisiana and I am currently awaiting biariactric surgery.  My surgery will be performed by Dr. Dominguez at St. Tammany Parish Hospital.  He is with Northlake Surgical Associates.  He does take Medicaid however, it can't be linked to a private insurance.  The address is:  606 11th Avenue - Covington, La. 70433.  Phone number is:  (985) 892-3766.

JA
on 3/21/16 4:42 am - East Haven, CT
Topic: RE: 5 years and up 20 from goal and SCARED...

So glad you were able to meet with Jackie.  She's the absolute best and really does understand us!  Good luck!!

Jesm1029
on 3/17/16 3:16 am
Topic: RE: 5 years and up 20 from goal and SCARED...

she is wonderful i just finished my 6month nutrition with her

Kimberly_29
on 12/4/15 5:22 pm
Topic: RE: Band over bypass

I had it done in Harford 14 years ago my doctor is no longer there. I've gained a lot of weight that in the last two years and I'm looking for help, I don't know of anything else except band over bypass for those who have had bypass before...

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/15 8:32 am - Meriden, CT

Where did you have your bypass?  I see Dr. Aranow and I know he doesn't recommend the band, but he does do the sleeve.  Not sure what he does for revisions.

Kimberly_29
on 11/29/15 9:40 am

Oh wow thx,I am looking for a procedure after gaining weight back after bypass.

Most Active
Recent Topics