Liquid diet post op

jmasks
on 6/2/14 12:25 pm - Houston, TX
Revision on 05/27/14

My surgery was May 27th.  I had a revision from VBG to RNY.  I'm crazy tired.  I am an emotional wreck.  My hormones are going crazy.  My hands and feet are like ice while sweat is running down my legs and back. 

Today was my first day back to work.  I am having a very hard time with the protein drinks.  I am trying but today was not a good day for them.  So I took a tablespoon of fat free refried beans and added chicken broth to it.  It was liquid so I sipped it slowly.  I am now feeling ashamed  I have waited so long for this revision and I can not even get past the first week without sticking to the post op diet.  I know why I did it.  I did it because I can not swallow another oz of the protein.  I know that I am exhausted and I was hoping that it would give me some energy.  Now I am still exhausted and still emotional. 

Per my post op diet I can have pureed foods starting June 9th.

Any suggestions on getting the protein drinks down?

Thank for any advice,

Jamie

Mary Gee
on 6/2/14 1:19 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Jamie, I think this is the hardest part of the whole process!  My program calls for three weeks of all liquids:  Carnation Instant Breakfast (they're all chocolate ); broth, water/crystal light/ice tea; sf jello and sf popsicles.  It got tired after a week and a half.  I've seen posts where people only have one week of all liquids, or their liquids included strained creamed soups.  I admit, I had some creamed soups because I just needed a flavor break.  I also had some greek yogurt.  I tried a protein shake - it was sickening sweet and sickening thick. If I had another one, I would have used half the amount of powder.  I didn't have another one though.

You have it tough, going back to work so soon!  Can you take another week off?  I don't know what type of work you do, but some people stay out three to four weeks.  I'm sure your doctor would write a note.  

Can you try some different protein shakes?  Some people drink nectar protein shakes because they can't tolerate the milk-based shakes.

Don't feel guilty - keep doing the best you can.      

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Most Active