Opioids vs. NSAIDs

sweetpotato1959
on 10/30/17 10:27 pm

Gwen M, Corn silk capsules will stop kidney stones. my DH uses them, it takes a bottle , used by directions on bottle. Sones will pass as sediment.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/31/17 8:08 am
RNY on 08/21/12

No, they really won't . . .

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

sweetpotato1959
on 11/1/17 4:28 pm

My statement was not meant to be devisive. but a FACT of history.. THEY DID. My husband had kidney stones. He added corn silk capsules and he passed them in cloudy urine over 3 weeks. Effectiveness MAY be dependent on the TYPE and cause of stones, but HIS are gone. PERIOD. If i had kidney stones i would try it before they got so bad i had to have another major surgery... a 3$ bottle of a supplement or a surgery. I'll take those few pills thank you..

Gwen M.
on 11/1/17 5:03 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I looked around on pubmed and couldn't find anything to substantiate that corn silk helps with kidney stones. And we need to remember that correlation does not equal causation here - he might have passed the stones without the corn silk.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

NYMom222
on 10/30/17 8:33 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Just had my second rotator cuff tear surgery less than 2 weeks ago, I feel your pain.

I specifically asked for oxycodone not Percocet which is oxy and Tylenol combined. That way I can take the Tylenol when I need it as a boost between doses.

During my Plastic Surgery I discovered Valium 5mg is prescribed as a muscle relaxant as well. Without being able to take NSAIDs that has been a lifesaver as well. It is hard to convince docs to prescribe but my primary has been good about it. During plastics I did oxy-Tylenol-Valium every 2 hours repeat.

With the shoulders I had a nerve block that lasted like 12 hours then pretty much needed 2 Oxy every 4 hours for about 2 day's then started weaning down. Now it'**** or miss when I feel I need it. Mostly for sleep. Pain during the day now, Tylenol, ice, rest.

They gave me a cryo-vac machine but I found it yo brca PITA and uncomfortable and didn't get that cold. The exercise physiologist told me to buy these and they have been a godsend. Having two is good too, as ones always cold. He specifically said to get these that have clay in them.

n.com/gp/aw/d/B00J4Z01QK/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3MT7503 8F86CX&psc=1

Link will work I paid $28, but you know floating prices on Amazon

Good Luck. I wouldn't chance the Advil. You can make it work. Last time I had bicep and rotator in June and this time just rotator J know it's not easy.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

sweetpotato1959
on 10/30/17 10:17 pm

I used to have continual arthritic pain thru the winter..post bypass my surgeon said not to use any NSAIDS because of danger of intestinal issues, bleeding esp. He gave his patients with arthritis prescriptions for Indocin suppositories...and for menstrual issues, severe arthritis , worked fine...and relief usually lasted 2 days..

. I have a pain protocol I take, that was developed from my response, and the meds that worked best for me. I found that tramadol 50-100 did not work completely for me, neither did 200-400 mg of motrin. It took 600mg to get relief for a few hours. PCP suggested for me to try, a combination and gave me the rx for the tramadol.

My protocol is Tramadol 50mg with 200-400mg of motrin( depends on severity of the pain and 30 mg of prevacid. ( OTC is 15 mg, i just take 2 @ a time). It kicks the pain for me. On a bad week I would use it 3x a week. the tramadol extends the relief time of the NSAID. Since I shed my lyme my arthritis has not flared in several months.... so don't have to use it very often now... I had a period in my life when i was in extreme pain from a employment /cactivity change. I used motrin at highest doses for several weeks..I landed in the hospital with a twisted set of intestines..after 5 days of low intermittent suction, IV's andretention enemas...it came undone... I do not suggest you do that, be sure to take a stomach protectant... Taking the prevacid with the other meds and a few bites of something will lessen any gasric irritation. Be sure to note any gastric swelling you may have... inflamation is not your friend,and noting changes in the size of your abdomen and taking precautions to reduce the inflammation can save you from bad decisions.. my protocol is to go to cold liquids only for several hours ( then I add rice )and take probiotics to replace flora.

theAntiChick
on 10/31/17 7:35 am - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

NSAIDs are much more dangerous for RNY'rs than for VSG'rs. This is because of the residual stomach that has been disconnected from the digestive tract but left in place. NSAIDs aren't just "rough on the stomach", they change the levels of hormones circulating in the body. That hormonal change increases the risk of ulcers, and because it's systemic the ulcer can form in the residual stomach. Because it's not part of the digestive tract in use, there may not be any symptoms of the ulcer and it may not be found until it ruptures which can be life-threatening. Because the residual stomach is outside the tract, it can't be scoped either.

The risk of ulcers is just as high for VSG'rs, the difference is that there's no residual stomach that can't be scoped, and ulcers in the working GI tract generally give symptoms before they're bad enough to rupture.

So no, for a RNY'r the risk of addiction is generally not thought to be worse than the risk of ulcers in the residual stomach. The structure of the pouch also makes the NSAID rougher on it than for a sleeve, but the worst risk is the ulcer in the residual.

I would recommend asking about some of the non-drug options that are now becoming readily available for pain management like TENS therapy and hot/cold therapy. Likely they won't take all of the pain away, but they can sometimes help an opiod work better.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Valerie G.
on 10/31/17 10:03 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

NSAIDS are specifically dangerous for RNY patients!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Jlhulli
on 12/14/17 7:24 am
VSG on 07/13/16

Catherine....I had VSG in July 2016 and lost 110 pounds. I had rotator cuff surgery 3 weeks ago. I take Percocet only a night at this point. However, the first week I took it round the clock. Shoulder surgery is extremely painful. Tylenol alone (and NSAIDs) won't touch this kind of pain. There is no need to suffer needlessly. Short term use or occasional opioid use will not turn you into an addict. Just be sure to use fiber supplements. In addition, there may or may not be some nausea associated with opioids. I take Prevacid along with the Percocet. As in all things...use common sense, right?

Most Active