FIRST TIME POSTING BMI 60

paflyersgal
on 4/28/15 6:30 am
VSG on 10/06/15

Hello ! I am just starting out myself. I'm not sure what your time frame will look like. I called my insurance company and they emailed me the insert from the handbook. It stated in there that I had to be under a 6 month supervised diet with a nutritionist. The center where I am getting my WLS done at takes care of everything in that one office. So I don't have to drive all over the place. I'd imagine that most offices are like this as well, at least I hope they would be! Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing about your journey and sharing achievements and goal with you along the way!

Karen

newdawnh
on 4/28/15 8:06 am
VSG on 06/16/15

my starting bmi was 53 and I did not have to do the 6 month wl but I did show proof that I have been on several wl programs that failed me or should I say I failed. It probably just depends on your insurance

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/28/15 8:35 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every insurance plan is different.  Some companies have exclusions in their policies and don't cover bariatric surgery.  You have to call the number on the back of your insurance card and speak to them directly.   Don't rely on your surgeon's office to give you the correct information.  Sometimes they're wrong.

My plan required six months of a supervised weight loss program.  My BMI was over 70 and it was still a condition of qualifying for surgery.  

Many insurance companies hope that people will give up and not pursue surgery so they require these supervised diet requirements.  Not all insurance companies do, but as I said, the only way to find out is to call your insurance directly and ask what are their requirements to qualify.

Good luck!

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/28/15 10:56 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hi & Welcome to the forum. You'll really have to call your ins & find out what their requirements are.

I had to do a 4 month supervised diet along with a bunch of tests & I did have to see the nutritionist. She would look at my blood lab results & go over them, as well as the surgeon. Sometimes the surgeon gives you a general range to go for to be healthy & the nutritionist goes into further detail to make the most of your health so it would be wise to heed their advice.

Definitely do as much research as you can & Good luck with whatever wls you choose.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/28/15 8:41 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Hi there.  

First, I'm very sorry for your loss.  I too lost a baby (at 16 weeks) and it was a very painful experience. 

To answer your question, my BMI started at 57 (it's 25 currently) -- but my insurance required a 9 month supervised diet.  I hated it at the time, but truly it ended up being very positive. There's a lot of adjustments to be made -- and that time really has helped me to be more successful. 

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

undeadmommy
on 4/30/15 1:03 pm
Mary Gee
on 4/30/15 3:56 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

First, Mo is right -- call your insurance company to be sure YOU are covered for WLS -- my original insurer covered it, buy my employer excluded it from their policy, so -- no coverage for me.  I had to wait until I had new insurance. 

If you are covered, ask your insurer what they require.  Many require a six month supervised diet.  Some will accept evidence that you have tried other diets in the past, and have not been successful in keeping weight off.  Since my PCP had recommended surgery and I had been trying to lose weight, and I had been seeing my PCP on a monthly basis for other issues and got weighed monthly, I was able to draft a letter for my PCP which met the insurer's requirements.

Your surgeon's office will likely have an Orientation Meeting you'll have to attend, and they will outline their requirements (seeing Nutritionist, Psych eval, sleep apnea study, group meetings, etc., etc., etc.)  It may seem like a lot to go through, and it may seem like it will take forever, but it is well worth the time and effort!

Don't consider it "bugging us" -- this site is for information and support.  We've all been at "the starting point" and have had a lot of questions -- this is a great place to get a wealth of information.  Post away -- but also read, read, and read some more!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ABair
on 5/28/15 12:05 pm
VSG on 01/14/15

My BMI was 69 when I started.  I had to show consistent weight loss and see my bariatric clinic monthly while going through the clearance process.  Loss 60 pounds during that process, I started eating healthy then to make the process easier.

Good luck just stick with it an you'll be ok.

Lisa 

sandra92335
on 5/28/15 11:09 pm - bloomington, CA

thank u i went to a semimar im,now at ease thank u..😉😉😉😍😍😍

Most Active