Absorption of an egg, for example...

hollykim
on 4/27/14 4:54 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

you didn't respond to my previous post,so are you eating a lot of carbs? Carbs we absorb 100%. Plus everybody's body has to hold water up to 4 # when we eat carbs. The body has to hold the water to process the carbs eaten and it can take up to a week to release it. 

The onlpy thing I can think. Is that maybe you are eating a lotof carbs   and that is causing the fluctuation,from water retention,and no loss? 

Amy W.
on 4/27/14 5:21 am - Buckeye, AZ
No, I was keeping my carbs around 75 and exercising everyday. My whole system can't process anything right due to all the bad bacteria in my gut.

5" 7' -  HW: 328 Current: I stay around 155 :) 
"...Because when you stop and look around, this life is pretty amazing."

Valerie G.
on 4/22/14 10:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

OMG - don't even bother.  Concentrate on counting 2 or 3 things.  Fluids, protein and (if you must) carbs.  

The rest falls into place on its own.

Amy W.
on 4/22/14 10:40 am - Buckeye, AZ
Well obviously what i'm doing isn't working so I need to take other action. Idk what's going on inside of me but I have an endoscopy Friday.

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 12:05 pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with this.  I've only had my DS, but I know from before my ds that nothing I did was right.  I was terrified I wouldn't even lose after the DS.  I had been gaining (fast) eating 800-1200 calories a day and swimming an hour each day (plus biking/running after kids etc.  I was a low carb eater.  I pushed myself down to 500 calories a day and was gaining, I went to a dietician who said I needed to re-set my body and eat 3.5k to 'maintain' my body weight, but I gained 50lb in 3 months.  

Nothing that was happening made sense, and yes I kept track of everything I put in my mouth.  I have been losing weight with the DS and I hope I never ever get back to that place.  

If you were maintaining your weight gain I wouldn't try to change any of your habits, especially if nothing is working.  Otherwise, look very closely at what you are eating, consult many dieticians, and stick with something (low carb, high protein has always worked best for me; it was the only one that ever let me maintain again - got down to 280 and didn't change until I tried to lose again).

Sorry if none of this was helpful (or even hurtful) but I know how it feels dealing with this stuff.  

Amy W.
on 4/22/14 2:19 pm - Buckeye, AZ
Totally makes sense and actually helps to know someone knows how I feel. I feel like if I eat too much I gain, if I eat too lottle I gain, and I just can't find a happy medium. When I was eating anything I wanted (from 2004-2010?) I was eating soooo unhealthy and maintained the exact same weight no matter what. I don't want to be like that so I started eating healthier, cut out my 24-hour a day Prpsi habit, and jogging... INSTANTLY gained 10 pounds. I right when I started dieting I've had weight issues ever since. I guess my body was so used to eating fast food all day everyday that I could get away with it? I have NO idea, but I've had issues ever since I started eating healthier. Now I'm ashamed to say it's gotten so bad I've turned to bulimia and have no answers. Everything is so messed up and I have no idea what I'm doing. That's why I'm trying to figure out the malabsorption factor. I don't see how I could go from maintaining the exact same weight for years taking in thousands of unhealthy calories a day, and then I start eating healthy, exercising, and have constant trouble with my weight. That mind boggles me. Something's wrong and idk what's going on.
Im so lost.

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 2:53 pm

Generally speaking i'm all for posting all to the forums to help out others who're dealing with the same things but I'm going to PM you after this post.

Common sense says not to ever get to anorexia or bulimia but I spent about 12 years dealing with both and I can safely say it never helped me keep my weight low.  

My mother in law had been an anorexic and when she started eating properly again never gained weight, but different people seem to respond differently to the disorders and my last dietician said that doctors really do not fully understand diets/metabolism/weight loss surgeries etc yet.  Not everyone fits into one box, and you have to hope you find the right box for you.

I would hazard a guess that if you chose healthy choices and portions, your body will settle on a new normal.  

Amy W.
on 4/22/14 2:58 pm - Buckeye, AZ
I've been trying to find my "box" for a couple years now. My body is just weird. I don't know what works and what doesn't. I'm just lost. I don't know what normal eating/portions are. I know we malabsorb and should be eating fats, but the calories get so high and I freak out. I'm struggling big time.

Susan M.
on 4/22/14 3:09 pm

Is your current weight (in tag) accurate?  If so, then you are a long, long way from where you once were.  I know it can be a very slippery slope, and the dread of ever ending up there again is insane.  

I think if I were in your shoes, I would probably be so caught up in my fear I would forget to put everything in relation (especially with where I came from).

I would hope someone would help ground me and make me (somehow) relax and take a breath, and then have the strength to support me with where ever I end up.

All of that probably goes without saying and I'm really hoping that didn't sound condescending.  I just don't know enough of your story.  I may also be super jealous that you were able to (ever) eat junk food and not gain weight.  I'm totally jealous.  

Amy W.
on 4/22/14 3:17 pm, edited 4/22/14 3:17 pm - Buckeye, AZ
My weight fluctuates so much it's ridiculous. A few weeks ago (or less) I was 155. Then I was 161, then 164, now today I'm 161. It's ridiculous. My gut flora is all messed up from 3 rounds of antibiotics and whatever else is going on in there. I have an endoscopy Friday because something just isn't right. Plus I'm constantly gassy and get really constipated now (which is something I've NEVER dealt with before. )
I wish I was a normal person that can track their calories taken in and have them be accurate without all this constant uncertainty (from the malabsorption) and constant stomach issues. :/

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 977 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1169 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 437 views