Recent Posts

Hislady
on 5/25/16 10:11 pm - Vancouver, WA
Topic: RE: Today has been a really bad day

I'm so sorry that I didn't see this sooner, I'm usually on here every day but between my computer being sick and me being sick I just haven't been around. I'm sorry you had such an awful day it seems like we women are always there for everyone but just let us ask for help and no one is around! I'm a strange one because I don't like anyone around before my surgeries and Lord know I've had plenty! I like to just be able to relax and rest before surgery and there are usually plenty of nurses yapping at me to keep me busy. I usually just have hubby drop me off and give them his number so they can call when I'm ready to go home. I do realize tho that most other people aren't that way.

I hope things ended up working out and that things are going smoothly after your revision. Feel free to write here anytime, sometimes just writing it down helps get it all out!

Addgirl06
on 5/10/16 4:29 pm
Topic: RE: Newly Diagnosed with Fibromyalgia

Yes Find a different group of meds. Cymbalta and Lyrica together are almost toxic to withdraw from. Do some research on Cymbalta withdrawal and whatever you do, do not abruptly discontinue either medication. There is a closed group on Facebook called "Cymbalta Hurts Worse" please look at the group for support and advice. Best of luck!

Debstamper
on 5/4/16 4:55 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Fibromyalgia after hysterectomy

Wow, I just noticed my surgery was in 2005!

Deborah Nunez
Debstamper
on 5/4/16 4:54 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Fibromyalgia after hysterectomy

Hi Leah,

I very rarely post here but your question brought back so many memories.  Did you have WLS?  I had it in 2006.  Before the surgery at 336 pounds 5" 1' tall, I never really had any aches or pains, just the onset of Diabetes and hating the way I looked.  After the surgery and at my lowest weight 182 pounds, I began getting all kinds of problems.  Anemia, Fibromyalgia (which I always thought was a mental issue), aching knees.  So, I had a hysterectomy, then got a hernia and had hernia removal and excess skin removed. Then there was too much protein in my blood and have been diagnosed with MGUS. Had knee surgery and then the last was back surgery for cervical stenosis (I was falling all the time) spinal fluid not flowing.  I would hate to say that losing all this weight caused these problems, but I hear these issues pop up for WLS patients all the time!

Deborah Nunez

Deborah Nunez
girlsgirlsgirls
on 4/20/16 4:03 pm
VSG on 04/15/16
Topic: RE: Gluten free and Fibromyalgia

I stay away from wheat, coffee, refined sugar (really any sugar but I'm not gonna quit fruit), and dairy. The moment I get a flare and want my comfort foods, I know I have to steer clear.  Oh yeah, the biggest pain trigger for me is artificial sweetener, Diet Coke is the worst, it has caffeine and artificial sweetener. I use Stevia (it's a plant and not crazy refined) in everything. Also, see if you can get an rx for lyrica and just give it a try. gabapentin also helps some people. these are not pain meds. they are actually anti-convulsants that can somehow help us mutants with fibro and our mystery nerve pain. I use to have to take oxy on the daily, and these days it's a bad month if I have three flare up days that put me on my back. 

Leah69
on 4/15/16 11:15 am
Topic: Fibromyalgia after hysterectomy

hi all , I'm new to this site and would like to know how many ladies got fibromyalgia after a hysterectomy . I worked up to 50 per wk caring for terminally ill children living in their own homes. It will be nearly 4 yrs since I had my hysterectomy due to having multiple fibroids , and I never seemed to recover . As the mths went by I was in chronic pain all over , i couldn't even move I was so stiff , muscle spasms and constant unbearable pain . My gp sent me to a rhumatologist who informed me I had fibromyalgia . It has taken a whole 3 yrs to find medication that helps and I'm also on morphine patches 

before I had the hysterectomy I had no health issues at all 

Thankyou in advance Leah 

tjsterch
on 4/13/16 1:13 pm
Revision on 04/18/16
Topic: RE: Today has been a really bad day

I don't know how to edit, when I read it, I realized something didn't make sense, the AP informed me they MAY NOT BE ABLE to do the surgery, however, they will not know until after they are inside due to past surgeries I have had may have created problems.

Not upset about the rescheduling of my surgery, but the day is inconvenient for my family.

TJSterch 5'7 SW 284 lbs CW 210 lbs

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

tjsterch
on 4/13/16 1:08 pm
Revision on 04/18/16
Topic: Today has been a really bad day

My surgery day has been rescheduled to April 19th and my family has told me they will not be able to make it to the hospital on my day of surgery. My husband has to work, my 32 year old son will be on vacation, and my 20 year old daughter doesn't get up that early (10am).

I also have fibromyalgia (stress makes it worse) and it has been really bad lately. Medicine isn't helping much, today I had to drive and I don't like to take the meds and drive. So it has been really bad today.

At my pre-op, the AP informs me, I have had a lot of surgeries. I am having a conversion, but I have had a few other surgeries since my original vertical banded gastroplasty.  They won't know this though until they are doing the operation. My heart sank even further in my chest. From their office, I needed to go to the hospital and register. Only there is no parking. I drive for half an hour. No parking. So I leave to go to a pharmacy and get new meds for after the surgery filled (must be filled today)

I am always there for everyone, now that I need someone, no one is there for me. And it made me not just sad, but angry. Husband decides this is a good time to pick a fight with me. So while I am waiting for my pre-op appointment, we are having a fight via text on the cell phone.

I am not mad anymore, just incredibly sad. No I can't discuss this with anyone, that is why I am posting it here

TJSterch 5'7 SW 284 lbs CW 210 lbs

Per month: 1st -24, 2nd -11, 3rd - 9, 4th -  8, 5th - 8, 6th - 4, 7th -2, 8th -7

Felicity Q.
on 4/13/16 1:07 am
DS on 09/28/15

Thank you so much for the reply, Hislady - Your help and advice on these forums is quite appreciated! I noticed that you reply to almost all of the threads here!

I have done a TON of research online about Fibro... which I researched beforehand as kind of an "Aha!" moment when I was seeking an answer to why my body just HURTS all the time. Once I started reading the symptoms of Fibro, I just kept nodding along. When I saw the pressure points graphic, I appreciated how spot on some of the worse areas are.

I think my issue right now is that I have 2 doctors (my Rheumatologist and Psychiatrist) prescribing me Lyrica and Cymbalta (respectively) but no doctor has said ANYTHING about a medication for the pain. I specifically asked my PCP when I first mentioned my body pains, and she said to take asprin (as you know, a HUGE no-no for us WLS patients!). Then, I asked my Rheumatologist after 1 month on Lyrica if she would prescribe me something I can take on the really bad days to help... she also said "No" (at this time) and we'll discuss again at my appointment next month.

I'm just completely dumbfounded that a pain prescription is so hard to come by!  All of my doctors know that I have no history of drug or alcohol abuse, no prior prescriptions for pain medications... I just don't know what to do about that. I feel like I am being walked on by these people (it feels like mentally AND physically some days!).  All of my doctors know about my DS and the malabsorption... thankfully none have recommended any vitamin supplements for Fibro... No way I am going to add more of anything to my long list since my labs are coming back in normal ranges.

Ugh, I just don't know.  I'm kind of ranting to myself at this point, so thanks for reading! Any advice or pointers on how to talk to my doctors and not be a push-over would be appreciated!

Lap-Band 2011 | DS Revision 9/28/15 | HW: 380 in 2011 | GW: 140

Blog: http://felicitywls.blogspot.com/ | Twitter: @FelicityQ13

Hislady
on 4/11/16 9:47 pm - Vancouver, WA

Sorry to welcome you to the fibro family. One thing I always tell people is you have to learn to make friends with the pain. You don't have to like it but you will have to learn to live with a certain amount of it every day. You may have to cut back on the exercise and maybe switch to something more along the lines of yoga where you are stretching and relaxing your muscles.

With a DS you may very well be malabsorbing much of the pain medication, does your psych doc and rheumy know that you have a malabsorbtive surgery? You need to make sure they know that so they can give you the right type of medication, some folks do better getting a smaller amount in more frequent doses. You might do better with some of the pain patches rather than oral meds. I know the cymbalta helped me far more than the lyrica and the lyrica caused me to gain weight like crazy. I do better taking the cymbalta in 2 doses one in the morning and one at night instead of all at once. There is also savella for fibro, I haven't personally used it so can't say how well it works.

We all really have to learn how to manage our lives according to how our fibro is that day and remember that if you over do you WILL pay for it the next day, that's just how it is from now on. Learn to stand up for yourself and your health because people will tell you it is all in your head or you are using it as an excuse. This is our life and at first we all keep trying to push ourselves and pretend that we are just fine. Soon enough tho we have to make adjustments or go crazy trying to pretend all is well. it isn't and never will be. Yes you can still go to a softball game but just plan on taking it easy the day before and after. Yes you can work in the garden but not all day long, take it over several days and take a nice hot bath that night. Learn to take things slow and easy. I call it the stop and smell the roses disease sometimes because that is what we have to start doing just live life slower and easier and you know that's not ALL bad!

I also suggest getting on the internet and read as much as you can from some of the major fibro groups. There's a lot of nonsense too like upping magnesium and lots of so called homeopathic remedies but save your money because most of them are just out to get your money. If you are lucky enough to be near some of the really good teaching colleges you might get even better treatment there. Otherwise work with your docs as much as you can to try to get as much relief from pain as you can. Of course if you have any more questions or want to vent I'm usually here every day or so.

Most Active
Recent Topics