REUNION THREAD

seasheleyes
on 6/1/16 12:05 pm - Manteca, CA

KAREN! My buddy!

Thank you for showing up! I'm so glad that life has been going mostly well. One of my fondest memories is that day when you and I explored old Philadelphia and saw the most incredible historical places! By the way, my back is still quite injured so I need to be careful, but my doctor switched me to a new antidepressant called Cymbalta which is also used fro nerve pain. I can't believe the difference. 

Dont be a complete stranger now...begging! 

Julia

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/1/16 4:00 am, edited 5/31/16 9:04 pm

I am Hala.  Mostly loorker than poster here.  I am also involved in 2 other private groups on OH and there only so much time in my day to post. Reading is easier.  

I am originally from Poland, I left Poland when there still was "the Berlin wall.. Ended up in Canada for a few years, and the last 21 years.. I've been here in US..in SC. I am an engineer, working and managing a small fiber optic company.  Life is interesting.  I don't  have any children. I have really nice BF -5 years, and we have 3 cats...

Had RNY in May 2008, when I was 48, and no longer could lose weight... Before that - it would lose 50 gain 60, lose 70, gain 60...etc...  I got divorced in 2006..(short marriage) and decided that I needed to do something before my weight kills me.  I am stubborn and determined and I lost 110lbs in less than one year...went from size 2X to size 4, small.. 145 lbs. I had a few complications: hernia, GB, another hernia... Etc.. For the last few years since post op RNY: eating =pain.... Maybe that's why I was able to keep off most of my weight?   

Long story short - most likely I have SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) and IBS-C, food allergies and intolerances, and some more issues.. My main allergies are soy and dairy...plus a few more...Plus adrenal insufficiency. 

At one time - I started drinking too much....I was dealing with low energy, and pain after eating... It was "get drunk or be hungry.." some days I picked one over the other. But when I noticed that I was missing work because of my drinking, and I was drinking whatever whenever... I knew I need to deal with that.  And I did. 

I started looking for solution to my issues: I had a surgery to fix gut twist, iron to help my anemia, weekly B12 shots (i need them weekly) Hormones (HRT) ..and last but my least - getting diagnosed with a secondary adrenal insufficiency - and get cortisone for that - all of that - I got life back.  I am still in some pain after eating, but it is not too bad, and not enough to drink too much or take too many pills. 

At times - I still drink too much..but I don't like how that makes me feel, so that does not happen very often.  

I am learning how to manage my IBS-C, and adrenal insufficiency, insulin resistance...plus plus...

When my doc put me on steroids for my adrenals - that helped normalize my BS and BP but it also makes me more hungry... But hunger is not not an emergency, right? As long as my BS Is OK I can deal with that.  At least most of the time..

I manage my IBS and weight using IF (intermittent fasting) and low carb- low FODMAP diet (also SCD diet to manage SIBO). 

I still deal with severe RH if I eat carbs- starches, .but I learned how to eat around it...if I really want to cheat - I can... I try not to... 

I had some regain - but I have been around 165 most of my last few years... Middle of last year - I decided to get back to my "goal" of 155..+/-3 lbs. And I am almost there.. 2 more lbs to go.. At my last doc appointment - he told me I am were I need to be weight wise and I am not to lose more weight..2 lbs would be OK but to not go under 150...  I think this is a second time ever in my life when a doc told to not to lose more weight... 

I see wonderful group of people here and I got used to read your stories... Real life stories... It makes me humble, makes me appreciate my life and puts "poor me" in perspective. 

BTW - English is not my first language, plus I read and type on a tablet (autocorrect- typos) - so be gentle on my gramar/spelling

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lightswitch
on 6/1/16 5:47 am

Haila,

Don't sweat the writing, just write. You certainly have had your share of problems. I think I have scar tissue because about two or three times a week, I get pain that is so severe, it doubles me over and I cannot take a breath. I am reluctant to start having the doctors look for the cause because my WLS doctor is far away and the ones here won't see me unless it's an emergency so I am waiting for the emergency...sucks but that's what it is...I had so many issues with the original surgery, that I just hate to start having them look for something...

I am so glad you are here and lurk and post whenever you want.  

Kathy S.
on 6/1/16 11:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hey, Hey Everyone

I love this, thank you for doing this. It's great to see familiar names and faces.....  OK, me, myself and I update.

Came on the boards in 2003 and after researching I finally decided to have surgery on 8/04.  OH was my home away from home. I can't tell you what the members support meant to me. I had RNY, lost over 200 pounds and then had 3 Plastic Surgeries to complete my transformation.  In doing so I found a new way of life and it was GREAT until 2010. I kept the weight off and was very active with working out and staying in shape.  My husband had his first stroke on Christmas day 2010.  The next 5 years were all about his health needs and issues and I stopped caring for me and started caring for him full time.  We had lived in Chicago for over 30 years and with our only son moving to NorCal we had no help.  He had met a great young lady and moved here where her family was located.  They live in Pleasanton CA and we decided to relocate near them so I could have some family near. Besides, my first grand baby was on the way.  We could not afford Pleasanton so we re-located to Manteca CA.

I lost my husband 12/5/15 and had weight gain for the first time since my surgery.  This was not where we had thought we would be after 39 years. We were going to retire and enjoy life, but it was not to be.  I met my husband when I was 18 and went straight from my family to being married.  Being alone has been strange, hard and lonely.  I am trying to find my way, I had lost 20 pounds of my regain but have been struggling. I find I have my good weeks and bad.  I did make a list of steps for me to get back to the basics. It's been a great resource for me, if you are interested in a copy PM me.

My son suggested I get back to a gym as I love Zumba and other classes and did some weight lifting in the past. I love biking and would do it more, but the trail goes right through downtown and you have a ton of stops and it's hard to get a good ride in.  I hate/scared riding on the streets so trails are my thing.

I am grateful for my son, DIL and grand babies as we have 2 boys now. Gavin 2 1/2 and Logan 10 months.  I am grateful for my job!  Having a major birthday coming up soon it's going to be very hard.  As we all know, time is flying by and looking back reminds us what coulda, shoulda been. I think we all have to look forward, be there for each other and come hell or high water I have to get back to "me".

Hugs to you all  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

lightswitch
on 6/1/16 11:29 am

Kathy,

I am so happy you came by and posted and hope you continue to come by. I am so sorry you lost your husband. It sounds like you are close enough to your son to visit often. It's good you are still working because that will provide you with a community. I can only imagine how horrible it is to be figuring out how to exists without your husband. I know there are probably a million ideas you have had about what to do and communities to join but you will find the perfect fit, keep looking. I have found yoga to be a perfect fit for me and there are a few of us who work together and we do yoga every day...and then I do a yoga class a few times a month. Yoga isn't hard on the joints and you can do it at home or at work, but I do suggest doing it with a group of folks because the relationships that I have built are for life. I would love to bike but I live in a very hilly place so I cannot do that up here.  Maybe you can find a trail that is a little outside of town and drive your bike there and ride and then drive home. 

Please, please, please keep coming back here and stay connected with us. 

BTW, I did zumba a few years ago and it took the pounds off but I never could keep up...when they did hip circles, I was still doing something else but they endured my bad timing. LOL...I did join a ballroom dance group and loved it....I am going to rejoin after my knee surgery.  Look in the paper for a dance club and join...you will love it. My husband wasn't my partner...I drug one of my gays with me and he and I were so good together and we won a lot of competitions because he was driven to win...and scolded me when I wouldn't keep my frame up.....That's what you need; you need a gay man friend who will take you places and who will keep you occupied while you find yourself....

Kathy S.
on 6/1/16 1:39 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

It's great to meet you too I know yoga is great for balance issues we face as we get older but I have to tell you about my one and only experience with yoga.  I went to my first class and one of the first moves we did was the turtle one.  You were "suppose" to be able to lay back (as I am sure you know) and roll up to a sitting position.  Everyone did it great! I just rolled back and forth like a turtle on his back. It was so funny and I just for the life of me could to get up, I started to laugh. Well this yoga class was very serious and I guess there was no laughing.  I never went back. Zumba? I can't do half of what they do, but I have always had fun and done my own thing and no one could care less.

Ballroom dancing was something I had always wanted to do but I did damage to my left side being heavy and have nerve damage where I can't stand on my toes on my left side. I think it's so beautiful!

Stay in touch 

seasheleyes
on 6/1/16 11:56 am - Manteca, CA

Hi Kathy,

Just keep coming here, you are not alone. I am actually living just a few miles from you. My house is a block from the bike trail at the Alameda Street crossing. I just turned 62 yesterday so if you are coming up on 60 we are close in age too. I'm so glad that you love your job. If you want to meet for coffee just private message me and we will have lunch or coffee or go to a movie. I'm retired now so I have flexibility.

Julia

Kathy S.
on 6/1/16 1:34 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Julia,

I would love that.  Our house is on Daniels between Union and Airport Way.  Maybe we can get each other on track and kick some butt

seasheleyes
on 6/1/16 4:56 pm - Manteca, CA

That is an excellent idea Kathy!

(deactivated member)
on 6/1/16 11:56 am
ReShape on 10/30/16

Hi Rich from MI, here. I was actually very active on here a few years back as I had my RNY in August of 05'. I was very successful going from 420 down to a low of 185. My body readjusted yo yo'd a bit. Gained muscle weight after starting the gym and ended up hovering at around 215 which I was great with. High blood pressure, apnea, reflux along with other ailments all disappeared with the weight.

I've had a lot on knee problems which have slowed me don a bit and drove my weight up to 260 earlier this year. I was side tracked in getting my skin removal due to insurance stumbles, a divorce (Not due to surgery) and a job situation. I've always felt this hole in that I was never able to finish the journey and be my best with the extra skin. 

Well I'm back on OH. A new user name as rich988 could no longer be accessed. I forgot my password and I no longer had the email address I used back then so now I'm rich1451. 

Since the first of the year I've knocked off 20 pounds. I've also had 2 knee replacements in the last 3 months. The right one was replaced for the 3rd time along with a lot of bone reconstruction with steel blocks staples, ect. I am getting around a lot better now and should be 100% very soon allowing me to hit the gym, resume walking and melt some more pounds off.

I am hoping to revisit with my original Plastic Surgeon in late July and get the ball rolling towards a fall surgery. I have a very large hernia which will help the insurance process and hope to have a expanded TT or LBL and thighs as well.

I've always loved helping others through sharing my experience's from WLS in dealing with their trials. I'm hoping to make some friends on here as it definitely helps push me onto my goals and hopefully I can do that for others as well.

I'm going to be moving to the Wilmington, NC area next summer. With all that beach I really want to feel comfortable in my own skin... without all the skin I have now, lol. Best of luck to all on their journey's. Life is very short and meant to be lived happily to it's fullest. Rich  

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gone but not forgotten
Jani · 0 replies · 394 views
Happy New Year, Friends!
GrammySusan · 3 replies · 1197 views
Judy
Ready2goNOW · 0 replies · 1207 views
MY PC WAS HACKED!!!!
Judi123 · 2 replies · 1141 views