I just want my duodenum back!

Linda_S
on 10/14/12 4:59 am - Eugene, OR
I tried acarbose.  Can we say GAS???  Actually, if you Google Acarbose and White Bean extract, you'll see they are essentially the same thing, but you get the pleasure of paying a prescription price for the acarbose.  The medication did nothing to prevent low blood sugars for me, so I stopped taking it.  I found Gas-X wasn't very effective, and you can't take Beano because it aids the digestion of carbs, which cancels out the acarbose.  I think it's a worthless med, for me anyway!

Success supposes endeavor. - Jane Austen

mickeymantle
on 11/4/12 1:16 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

hi naubor   glad I seen you post IM trying to decide on ether a sleeve or a bypass the surgeon  recommends a sleeve says there will be less problems and seeing you post I am thinking he is right , hoping for surgery in June after the 6 month diet

thank you for your post

Linda_S
on 11/4/12 3:10 am - Eugene, OR

I'd kill for a sleeve.  (well, not really, but . . .).  It's not fun having to be prescribed speed so I can just stay awake.

MsBatt
on 11/4/12 8:15 am

Mickey, given your BMI, you don't need the Sleeve or the bypass---you need a Duodenal Switch. The DS has the very best long-term, maintained weight-loss stats for patients of any size, but especially so for those of us with a BMI greater than 50. It has the same stomach as the Sleeve, plus an intestinal bypass that causes metabolic changes and permanent malabsorption of calories.

But---not all surgeons are qualified to perform the DS. If your surgeon doesn't offer it, the odds are good that he hasn't given you complete, accurate info about it, either. After all, the Ford dealer isn't going to tell you how great the new Mercedes are, now is he?(*grin*)

mermaidz
on 11/16/12 6:34 am - Brampton, Canada

I'm considering a revision as well but a DS is the last thing I would consider.. It's highly aggressive surgery and carries numerous risks with it which NO ONE seems to be talkking about here:

• Leaks
  • Blood clots forming in the legs
  • Pulmonary embolus or blood clots traveling to the lungs
  • Infection
  • Abscesses
  • Bowel obstruction
  • Pneumonia
  • Problems with healing at incision site

Additional potential complications include:

• Kidney failure
  • Injury to the spleen which requires removal during surgery
  • Bleeding

As a result of these complications, some patients may need to spend extra time in the ICU. A patient may also require extra time in the ICU if their health is poor initially.

Some complications of Duodenal Switch are more long term, and may not become evident for some time after Duodenal Switch. These potential long term complications of Duodenal Swit*****lude nutritional and vitamin deficiencies that are generally preventable with adequate supplementation. Deficiencies in vitamin D, vitamin A, calcium and protein may occur which can result in osteoporosis, anemia and poor health in general. Duodenal Switch patients should be dedicated to taking supplemental vitamins and minerals, consuming a high protein diet and having their blood tested each year.

Consider a sleeve.. This isn't just about weight loss,it's about long term  health as well..

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Linda_S
on 11/16/12 6:44 am - Eugene, OR

You do realize, that the entire list of complications you have here is applicable to any surgery?  The Vitamin deficiencies are, yes, directly applicable to the DS.  Otherwise, you have a list of possible abdominal surgery complications here.  

To tell you the truth, when I've considered all I've been through and what I've ended up with, I think I'll just deal with my situation through diet and exercise.  I'm not really wanting to go back under the knife unless it becomes very necessary.

mermaidz
on 11/16/12 8:28 am - Brampton, Canada

Otherwise, you have a list of possible abdominal surgery complications here. 

These are not "Open Abdo" complications.. Just DS..and likely also RnY

And yup.. there are huge complications to any surgery

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

FLRGRAD
on 11/16/12 8:50 am - TX

Hi I'm looking into the gastric bypass revision.  I lost weight but gained it back within the last 7 years.  Had the surgery in 2000.  Just wanted to see if anyone has had the revision and how things are going for them?

Thanks!

shele
on 12/2/12 10:05 pm

Revision to distal... doing worse than with rny.. smaller yes... healthier? NO! Research all your options!

shele
LiFeLoNg hEaLtH imY GoAl
RNY 5-11-04 280
Lowest weight 174
Highest re-gain 238

erny 3-23-09 (120 common channel

low post revision 190
Current Weight  204

Height 5'6"

GOAL 154 Normal BMI

MsBatt
on 11/16/12 10:45 am