Rny to Distal Rny Revision

Laura in Texas
on 5/25/14 9:37 am

Awe!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

AngelicMythology
on 5/24/14 4:32 pm - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

I'm a revision to distal. I have been doing okay.  I have had to add a dry vitamin d to my vitamin routine and monthly b12 injections.  I've been overall happy with the weight loss. I was starting to feel tired there for a bit but the b12 has helped immensely.  The big change in my life is having to be careful with dairy as it bothers me.   I drink almond milk. 

Both my surgeries were approved with no problems through Blue Cross Blue Shield.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

nay_nay45
on 5/24/14 7:47 pm, edited 5/24/14 7:48 pm - Wilson, NC

I want to thank you so very much for you story it has helped me so much. I kept hearing from Rny to Distal who had it so many years ago who did not have success with Drs. Orders and bad ha*****anges. They stated this surgery was a waste of time and money. I know that over the years surgeons have made adjustments along with us learning to change our food behaviors this revision has better results. I started drinking almond milk after first rny because the other hurt my stomach. Through it all it is so important to have accessible supports in place. Since my rny in 2003 I quit smoking cigarettes finally, it has been seven years. Thanks again. Your story is the third I have heard. 

nay_nay45
on 5/25/14 9:40 am - Wilson, NC

How long did it take for BCBS to approve your surgery Angelic?

AngelicMythology
on 5/26/14 10:58 am - Buffalo, NY
Revision on 01/21/13

It was either 2 or 3 days after my surgeon submitted paperwork. I remember it was around the Thanksgiving holiday so I had to wait for the office staff to be there so in total it was about 5 days from me leaving the office to getting a phone call to schedule my surgery.

January 8, 2007 - RNY - HW: 285, LW: 135

January 21, 2013 - Revision - Distal RNY: HW: 235, CW: 135

nay_nay45
on 5/28/14 6:07 am - Wilson, NC

I was denied today by BCBS NC, no medically necessary?

Elena12961
on 5/26/14 12:37 am

Hey nay-nay, 

i had RNY in Feb 2006, went from 290lbs down to 150lbs.  Regained 50lbs over past 5 yrs.  Had GI series done this April that showed the same problems as yours.  I had revision surgery on 4/22/14, have lost 15lbs so far.  Glad I chose to have the revision, I was struggling to lose the weight and surgery was the only way I had ever lost significant weight.  Of course, post-op you go theough a similar diet as after the RNY, but I told my surgeon last week that I just don't feel that same strong "restriction" as I remember right after my RNY and that made me nervous.  He said it's because I am mostly doing soft foods so far and will feel the restriction as my diet is advanced.  In addition to resizing my pouch, he bypassed more of my small intestine.  So far I feel great.  He also said that the weigh loss will be slower this time around because a revision is less drastic than the original surgery itself.  I'm happy with my progress so far, hope your experience goes well! 

Elena12961
on 5/26/14 12:37 am

Hey nay-nay, 

i had RNY in Feb 2006, went from 290lbs down to 150lbs.  Regained 50lbs over past 5 yrs.  Had GI series done this April that showed the same problems as yours.  I had revision surgery on 4/22/14, have lost 15lbs so far.  Glad I chose to have the revision, I was struggling to lose the weight and surgery was the only way I had ever lost significant weight.  Of course, post-op you go theough a similar diet as after the RNY, but I told my surgeon last week that I just don't feel that same strong "restriction" as I remember right after my RNY and that made me nervous.  He said it's because I am mostly doing soft foods so far and will feel the restriction as my diet is advanced.  In addition to resizing my pouch, he bypassed more of my small intestine.  So far I feel great.  He also said that the weigh loss will be slower this time around because a revision is less drastic than the original surgery itself.  I'm happy with my progress so far, hope your experience goes well! 

nay_nay45
on 5/28/14 6:15 am - Wilson, NC

BCBS just denied my not medically necessary. How do I appeal? I have no idea what to write in the letter of appeal.

Chilipepper
on 5/28/14 2:03 pm

Your surgeons office should already know how to handle the appeal for you.

"The first thing I do in the morning is brush my teeth and sharpen my tongue." --- Dorothy Parker  

"You may not like what I say or how I say it, but it may be just exactly what you need to hear." ---Kathryn White

Most Active