Honesty ... let's try it

hellokittycrazee
on 5/5/11 7:23 pm - NJ

I was very afraid that I wouldn't be able to follow the rules post op.  The feeling I had was almost claustrophobic....I felt like I was going to be TRAPPED in this lifestyle with this tiny pouch and that it would make me go crazy.  But my relationship with food is changing.  I'm 7 weeks out, 43 pounds down, and yes, there are days I daydream about soda and donuts.  But I don't feel that overwhelming 'I'm going to die if I don't eat a donut' craving anymore.  It's very strange, and when I was on the other side I could never fathom that I would feel this way.  You will surprise yourself!  You've been strong enough to break addictions in the past you can do it with food as well. 

Meg

hkailey
on 5/5/11 9:17 pm
As you can tell, a LOT of us have gone through the "last supper" situtaion.  I thought I would never be able to eat food again.  I had a 2 week liquid diet (5 cans protein) before surgery.  That was torture.  You have beat several addictions and should be very proud of yourself.  You WILL beat this addiction as well.  This is a great site for advice/inspirational stories.  I would also recommend a support group in your area.  Good luck on your journey! 
NIXMOMMIE
on 5/5/11 9:20 pm - NC
This is probably one of theonly places where you can be honest all the time. we will support you in good decisions and bad ones. No one is perfect. We have surgery to get life back not to live in a box marked ONLY EATS 2OZ OF FOOD!! Give yourself a break. You can do this.

myturnnow
on 5/5/11 9:26 pm
You will get through this.  It is a process, a journey and while some are very different some are oddly familiar. 

Months from now you will laugh - I promise.  We all have struggles with food, if someone goes through this surgery and tells you everyday was smooth sailing they are lying.  Each one of these struggles teaches us something about our selves and our new bodies.  This forum will be the best thing you will do for yourself.

I am not a veteran, but I can say at almost 8 months out I am a very different person than I was a year ago.  Friends call me "two bite Tammy".  I may think I want certain foods that look good, or smell good, but after 1 or 2 bites, I am not interested.  I love crave salsa and soy crisps and enjoy running and sweating - who is this new person?  I never knew she was in there.  I will drive around while I am away on business looking for a restaurant that is not all fried foods or has some fish.  I no longer feed myself through a window (aka drive thru).  I am worthy of the time needed to give it proper fuel.  This does take time.  Feeling good, starts to set in and you will get more confidence everyday.  YOU CAN DO THIS! 

Don't beat yourself up.  You are learning about yourself every step of the way.  Like the poster above said.. This is NOT "the easy way out"!  This is the hardest and best thing I have ever done for myself. 

Best to you on your journey. 

merlinda
on 5/6/11 12:14 am
merlinda
on 5/6/11 12:15 am

Thank you so much to all of you and your words of encouragement.

The good news is I am eating like I am supposed to outside the indulgences, and while I thought I was up a whole bunch (due to an afternoon weigh in at the Dr. that showed me 7 lbs over my morning weight) when I weighed first thing  ... I am only up 1.5 lbs.    

Its such a good thing to know that I am not alone and that I am not broken beyond belief.  As most of you have noticed, I struggle with guilt and an inner voice that is quite the b***h (sorry if that offends you.)  The second bit of good news is that the voice has gotten better after a great deal of theraphy, but does chime in from time to time ....

We're getting so much closer ..... and the nerves are ENGAGED!  Now if I can start to trust my surgeon again about my liver, I'll be fine ... (for a few minutes anyway)  

I must say though those that imply or directly say my surgeon is wrong ... well that's the worst and NOT helpful at all.  :-) 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 59 replies · 382 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 52 replies · 505 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 576 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 30 replies · 296 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 1 replies · 15 views
Recent Topics