Not What I Expected

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 9:38 am
RNY on 06/30/15

I also had my RNY on the 30th and am also in Tennessee!  I feel like I have a partner now!  My experience hasn't been the same,  but still.  I was released Thursday on a full liquid diet, but was afraid to try anything other than clear until this morning.  I expected some pain,  but not nearly what I've had. It is improving but it has been absolutely excruciating!  

I want to eat,  but I'm not at all hungry and in all honesty,  I'm terrified of eating anything.  It's 100% in my head.  

I'm not sure i'm any help,  but you're not alone!  

annabellarose77
on 7/4/15 10:43 am - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

Thanks everyone for the wonderful ideas and responses. I will try mixing the Nectar in a glass with a whisk, maybe even using warm water as suggested. Right now, I paid so much for these Isopure drinks, I feel I have to try to drink them. I started today using a 2oz dixie cup, and drinking one per hour. Hopefully, I can increase little by little. It's very interesting to know that it takes awhile for the hormone Ghrelin to leave. I'm glad I'm not alone in this. @Kteacherkris glad to have a surgery buddy close to home. Did you have your surgery at Saint Thomas Midtown? How long are you suppose to stay on liquids? Just wondering how different Centennial and Saint Thomas's programs are. Hope you are on the road to recovery.

Thanks everyone it means a lot to have a place to turn to that understands. Sometimes I feel like I am all alone in this. My family is very supportive, but they do not understand the things we have to go through.

Andria Ragland

Lgarner
on 7/4/15 5:58 pm - Ft. Worth, TX

You can do this. You have lots of supports and reader like myself counting on you and cheering you on.  I got my approval letter in the mail yesterday and I am so nervous but excited all at the same time. All your stories enlighten me and I'm sure others.  Keep believing in yourself and stay strong for your life change and your family. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/15 8:02 pm
RNY on 06/30/15

I did go to st thomas midtown.  Their post op is 2 weeks full liquid (of course he said to add them when I feel comfortable,  and for the first few days I only wanted clear), then 2 weeks puree, then soft foods. I was doing great aside from the pain until this evening.  I had my first protein shake today (premiere) and tonight had a really rough BM that makes me want to go back to clear liquids!  Overall,  considering what I've done to my body,  I think things are going pretty well.  

You're definitely not alone!  I, too, have a supportive family nearby but physically I live alone so it can be scary when I feel a little off.  Plus,  like you said,  it's hard for them to understand what I'm going through.  I'm very grateful for this site and people like you! 

Thomas H.
on 7/5/15 5:27 pm - Saint Petersburg, FL

I had my surgery on the 17th of June about 2.5 weeks ago, I expected to really feel a lot worse after the surgery than I did. once I got home after my 5 day hospital stay I felt so much better. My son was surprised I was acting so normal, was just feeling tired. Even I was surprised, so glad it went well. Just transitioned to my mushy/pureed stage of foods, been tolerating it very well, no nausea or nothing. I am anxious to see the results. 

TanyaRN
on 7/6/15 8:20 am - Palm Bay, FL

I was not hungry at all. I was in the hospital 3 nights, not even allowed water til post op day 2 and only drinking an ounce at a time. After getting home, had days could not even finish whole SF popsicle.

annabellarose77
on 7/6/15 3:42 pm - Cottontown, TN
Revision on 01/12/18

It's really interesting to see how everyone's bodies react differently from the surgery. I was doing really well until Sunday. I pushed myself too hard walking. Now, I feel like my guts are falling out. It was a message well received believe me. I just hope I didn't do any real damage, and this pain lessons soon. I hope everyone's recovery is progressing smoothly and as painless as possible 

Andria Ragland

RNY on 12/22/14

Par for the course - after a week of fluids I got cranky and just wanted some real food - I took myself off to sleep and felt better in the morning.  I think (hope) that following instructions early on has helped set up good habits for long term success. 

Sharon

Poodlemac
on 7/7/15 7:59 pm
RNY on 09/26/14
On July 3, 2015 at 7:40 PM Pacific Time, annabellarose77 wrote:

Hello Everyone! I was able to come home from the hospital yesterday. I am officially 3 days post-op. Overall, I have to say I'm not feeling anything like I thought I would after surgery. This is mostly a good thing though. No complications other than low iron levels. My pain has been tolerable, not a lot of nausea, and able to keep fluids down. I guess I went in expecting to be in a lot of pain, and have a lot of nausea, so I am so very grateful this was not the case. The downside I am experiencing is hunger. It may be head hunger, but I can't wait to get off the liquids only. I was so hoping the smell of food would be a huge turn off, and I would not even want food. I am getting close to my required fluid intake in, the Isopure clear protein drinks not as well, but working on it. They are nasty, but I really hate the foam from the Nectar fruity protein after I shake them. My surgeon said he is more concerned with me getting in the fluids than the protein, but I know I need to try my hardest. Please understand I am not complaining, I am so grateful to have had the surgery, and I know the surgery only changes the guts, not the head, which is something I have to correct myself, but I am wondering if any of you experienced hunger several days after surgery, and also how long did you have to wait before you were cleared for mushies or soft foods? My program is 7 days of clears, then 7 days of full liquids (protein shakes and clear liquid fluids only), and then if cleared, can start soft foods. Is this about average?

Thanks everyone 

Girl, please!  The first thing I said when I woke up was "IM STARVING!!!"  Who the hell wakes up from this surgery hungry??  Me!  It will get better. Now I never get hungry. Hope it stays like this!!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 290 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 215 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 283 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 215 views