Kind of a Goofy Question About Brains and Surgery

joansch
on 9/1/15 12:51 pm

For the first 3 weeks after surgery I couldn't concentrate on anything. Normally I read constantly but I couldn't even pick up a book or magazine without losing where I was after a few minutes. All I did (besides walk and sip water) was sit on the couch and watch reruns of SVU and NCIS -- literally, just vegging out. My husband was worried when I couldn't even read a short book. It started getting better but it was a slow process to feeling like I was "normal" again.

Definitely talk to your doctors, but I think it's pretty normal for your brain to react to such a shock to your system.

Hang in there!

Joan, Annapolis, MD

5'3"    SW: 248   Surgery date: 28 Aug 2014

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 1:26 pm
RNY on 07/27/15

Thank you, Joansch,

That sounds kind of where I am now.  I'm seeing my surgeon in two months (turns out today's visit was just the nutritionist) and if I'm still having issues, I'll talk to him about it.  

Glad you're back on your mental feet! 

Time,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Queen JB
on 9/1/15 3:10 pm
RNY on 07/20/15

I am a crossword puzzle junkie, and after 6 weeks out I'm just barely able to get through a full one, now. I have been feeling so DUMB... I just chalked it up to anesthesia and low calories. I'm finally getting into the groove, though--hopefully you're on your way, too! :) 

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

LadyBaltimore
on 9/1/15 3:53 pm
RNY on 07/27/15

Hi JuniperBerry,

Thank you for your response-  I'm glad that things are getting easier for you and that you're able to do your crosswords again!  *hugs*

I hope to follow soon,

-LB

I've Come Too Far To Take Orders From A Piece of Bread.

"It is never too late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Surgery 7/27/15

44 lbs lost

Most Active
Recent Topics