Am I going to fail?

Roma
on 9/3/15 6:10 pm
RNY on 06/15/15

Get therapy asap. It's important. 

Referral: 8/14; Orientation TWH: 12/14; Nurse: 01/15; SW, Dietician, Psych: 2/15; Surgeon: 5/15; RNY: June 15/2015

Catherine-Mo
on 9/3/15 7:31 pm
RNY on 05/18/15

I can relate.  I binged on almonds the other night.  Shame doesn't help anything.  Use this as a learning experience.  We had surgery on our stomach and not our head.  Therapy does help.  Knowing a food is potentially a binge food can be helpful.  Keep those foods out of the house.   I can't have peanut butter around because I like it too much.   Failure is when you stop trying but you are trying to learn from a mistake.   Give yourself grace and move forward.  This moment is all you have and right now you can do the next right thing.  We will always struggle with our addiction but some days will be easier than others.  You can do this!!

Ladytazz
on 9/3/15 10:34 pm

I think the biggest mistake I made with my first (failed) WLS in thinking that having surgery on my body would fix the problems that originated in my mind.  My obesity wasn't a physical problem.  It was a symptom of my emotional problems and the way I dealt with them.

I had to go through total humiliation and failure before I was finally figured out that when they said it was just a tool it wasn't just something that applied to everyone else but me.

WLS can help us with our eating disorders, used appropriately, but it cannot cure it, no matter what we want to believe.

The bad news is you still have eating issues.  The good news is now you have just a little more help in overcoming them but the real work is up to you.  

There is help out there.  Contact your surgeon's office and see if they have any recommendations for a therapist that specializes in  food issues.  Find a self help group.  Even Weigh****chers can give you support as well as education.  WLS is not a cure but it is pretty much the best tool we have available for beating our weight issues and living a normal(er)  life.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

selhard
on 9/3/15 9:54 pm, edited 9/3/15 11:05 pm - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

There has been a post like yours before.  Someone replied, "you're human" and I remember thinking "aaaah, but we can't afford to be human."  But we are; we are humans with a common problem, maybe even common personalities to go with that problem.  Scratch that, there's personality differences.  I have gone to therapy but think this forum is a more valuable tool for me.  It's available 24/7/365 and loaded with helpful words I continually learn from (for example, spray those cream cheese and crackers with Lysol before throwing away.  Knowing that tidbit would have saved me calories and time digging through my own garbage).  Overeating, eating the wrong foods, and other food challenges don't have anywhere near the grip on me as they used to.  You are adjusting, learning, and and should find the same thing.

White Dove
on 9/4/15 6:38 am - Warren, OH

The worst thing you ate were the crackers.  You only ate four this time, but could have eaten the whole box.  Get crackers out of your house and keep them out.  They are one of the major causes of slow weight loss and regain.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kathyjs
on 9/4/15 7:44 am

In my 6 month pre surgery phase I had to see a behavioral therapist . That was his title ?? Helped me with diet and reason for my obesity. I also saw a nutritionalist every month . It's not too late, you haven't failed . Best of luck and kudos on tossing the bad stuff

Most Active