Feeling stuck and REALLY need some help

Doingrightin2015
on 9/17/15 2:57 am
RNY on 03/10/15

I would say try to cut your carb intake down f you want to try to drop a few pounds prior to surgery. I think you will be fine like the others say. I know for me,,eating carbs get me everytime!!!

Doingitright2015

HW in life 282 HW265 at start SW 244 CW170

aesposito
on 9/17/15 7:11 am

The quest bars are killing your efforts, IMHO.  The bread and the pasta don't help of course, but looking at those bar stats, it jumps out at me.  You could eat a few scrambled eggs and get the same protein without the carbs/chemicals.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Dcgirl
on 9/17/15 8:06 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I also feared "will I be the one person this does not work for?".  I think that's a natural fear.  I did not lose weight prior to surgery - in fact, I GAINED weight because I kept having these crazy food funerals.  However, my doctor required a two week liquid diet before surgery, to shrink my liver, and I lost 12 lbs in those two weeks.  Also, it got my head in the game to be on liquids after RNY.

You will lose weight after RNY.  Your stomach is so small that you can't not lose weight.  And if you follow your surgeon's plan and eat high protein, dense foods, you will do great.  The hardest part is 18+ months after surgery when your stomach is a bit bigger, willpower is slightly diminished, and you find you can eat pretty much most foods.  Maintenance is a *****!  Not to discourage you in the least, as I went from 351 day of surgery to 160 now, and feel like I am finally living my life!  I just encourage you to get surgery, follow your plan, take advantage of the honeymoon phase (12-18 months after RNY) and make great life changes!  I don't regret it for a second.  Don't be discouraged - be encouraged that your life is going to BEGIN!

floweringgemini
on 9/17/15 8:24 am - Rocky Point, NC

Mentally I am having food funerals. My surgeon is tough. He once delayed someone for a year until they lost 15 pounds. I dont think I have that kind of strength. I have maintained not gained and my argument is that the surgery gets done on people who are twice my weight and size which means that the tools will be big enough for me and my liver is going to shrink no matter what after 48 hours of clear liquids. You have all been so fabulous  with the advice and wisdom. I cannot wait to wear pretty clothes and take my son to the fair next year and ride rides. I have many more important reasons to do this such as health and my bodies physical capabilities. I dont think my feet and legs can bare to carry my weight around forever. For now until I go to meet the surgeon next week I think i am going to stick to protein shakes and a sensible dinner. I have got to lose a few pounds between now and next friday that way. And who knows if I am 5 pounds down from yesterdays nut weigh in then maybe he will schedule me!

Dcgirl
on 9/17/15 8:47 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

My surgeon mandated a liquid diet for TWO weeks.  I could have: protein shakes, water, crystal light, skim ricotta cheese, sugar free pudding, chicken broth, and sugar free popsicles.  Let me tell you, it sucked!  I had a headache on day 2 and 3.  And then it was ok.  And I was so terrified of having my liver be large and be nicked that I faithfully followed it.  No cheating at all.  And I lost 12 lbs in two weeks.  So I know it's tough but if you can think of your son and your future, you can do it!  My knees used to hurt so badly, and I would dread things like going to a conference and having to walk in the exhibit hall.  Now I walk a MINIMUM of 4 miles per day!  

Re: food funerals, the great news is, you can have all of the tastes and flavors you love, after RNY!  I can't eat a large pizza anymore (nor should I ever have!) but I can make a pizza in the toaster oven with half of a flat out wrap, pizza sauce, cheese and turkey pepperoni.  I can't eat a heaping pile of nachos, but I can cook ground turkey with taco seasoning, and eat it with cheese, taco sauce, sour cream, guacamole (and sometimes even some chips).  I have found replacements for almost every food I love, and yes while I will never tuck into a large bowl of noodles again (my former favorite food), I can eat shirataki noodles and if I ever feel sorry for myself, I think about how I had more noodles in 30 years than most people would in a lifetime.  

I won't eat a bagel for breakfast, but I wake up with more energy than ever before, put on size 8 pants and a medium top, go workout, and walk all over the city with zero knee pain.  That's worth missing out on a million bagels!  

I will be crossing my fingers for you!  Your son deserves the best you possible, and RNY can help you achieve your goals!

Mary Gee
on 9/17/15 11:03 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

FWIW, I'd be gaining weight if I ate what you have posted -- calories and carbs are too high for me.

My plan calls for Calories 800, Carbs 40, and at least 65 Protein.  And drinking at least 64oz. of liquids.

Good luck at your appointment!

Mary

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Kim K.
on 9/18/15 4:29 pm

I had to meet with my primary doctor for 6 month for "dietary counseling" for one of the requirements for my insurance before they would approve me, didn't lose anything during that time.  Once approved by insurance I was placed on a pre op diet of two protein shakes, 4oz lean meat, 1cup non starchy veggie and as much broth as I wanted.  I had to do this for one month, I lost 19.5 pounds in that month.  

Hang in there and good luck

Most Active
Recent Topics