Plant based diet

Robin
on 10/18/21 6:47 am - Walled Lake, MI

Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/21 8:28 am, edited 10/16/21 1:56 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I sort of haunt the grocery stores when I can .... I?ve learned where I can get my fat free cheeses ( Kraft ff mozzarella in bags is for instance excellent for lasagna ) .... fat free cottage cheese and fat free sour cream you can pretty much get anywhere.

Ff ricotta is HARD but not impossible to find ( Publix and Shopright but not every store ... higher end neighborhoods are much more likely to carry it I?ve found ) and makes things like lasagna with homemade healthy tomato sauce and tons of layered vegetables ( with a tiny bit of no bake pasta ) possible. ( or pretty much any other Italian food)

Fresh Ricotta freezes super well though so I just clean the grocery store shelf out and freeze most of it when I can find it.

You?ll be surprised at how much low and no fat tasty options you can find when you start reading boxes .

Of course I go for a variety of fat free salad dressings ( in the grocery stores) and fat free mayonnaise I order over the internet. You literally Can find everything from thousand island to coleslaw dressing to Ranch .

A lot of people here can taste the difference between ff mayonnaise and lite ... but again it?s pretty much pure fat eating the lite . I?d rather dissolve some more excess off my stomach and look great in a bikini !

Pretty much EVERY sauce envelope on the shelf including decadent tasting Alfredo or Hollandaise or Creamy Pesto is fat free for instance ... just use the fat free half n half and a bit of the Mrs McCormicks for a buttery rich taste .

I do mix in Some sauce mix ( and freeze dried fat free butter) with my fat free ricotta to make it tastier and richer tasting without basically any added calories.

And these sauce mixes sure make almost raw or slightly cooked fresh veggies taste great .... even if all you can eat are a few bites ... they?re super healthy family pleasers .

It?s just SO much more of a forgiving way of eating post op ... you?re still getting all your nutrients but you don?t need to diet .... you can graze a bit ... you can snack without worrying about regain .

I have over the years found I can eat a little bit of fat ( and carbs ) still have the malabsorption I started out with .

But I usually choose to eat fat free at home and enjoy a meal maybe once a week a great restaurant... with wine and whatever else I want ... guilt free .

That in my opinion is because I didn?t blow out my tool taking it for granted and making fatty food choices. (((())))

Robin
on 10/16/21 8:32 am - Walled Lake, MI

Thank you..I'm trying to do a plant based diet right now, I did buy a few dairy free cheeses and sour cream, and they seem to be ok..

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/18/21 6:55 am

Hi Robin, as you describe some of your symptoms that you have when you try to eat beans - you my have SIBO and internal candida.

Just google information on those 2 conditions. I have that long term, and I probably had that due to heavy antibiotics use when I was younger.

Unfortunately, vegan or even vegetarian diet is the last thing that could be helpful for SIBO.

I fond a very knowledgeable, supportive gastro doc, who helps me deal with that. I used to get treated every 3-4 months. Now I need probable a treatment every 6 months. I know I need treatment when veggies, plants, grains, and fruits I try to eat cause serious issues, bloating, pain, gut discomfort that can be from just uncomfortable to really, really painful. When the pain gets me almost anytime I eat something with plant fiber, or just plant material, even onion or garlic flavor, I get treated.

The best for me for that condition is keto-paleo type diet, while also avoiding high FODMAP foods.

Google for info on SIBO, Candida, and high FODMAP foods.

If you think that any of those may apply to you, let me know if I can help.

Btw: the SIBO I have is causing IBS-C. IBS with constipation. I have been aware of that condition and I have been maintaining it for a few years.

PS: I am not selling anything, nor do I have training/consulting business. I am passing on a favor, help I received when I was in a lot of pain, with other health issues, and couldn't find what was going on.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Robin
on 10/18/21 6:58 am - Walled Lake, MI

Thank you

(deactivated member)
on 10/18/21 3:55 pm, edited 10/18/21 5:55 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

I?m definitely not trying to waste my limited time and energy ( with two tiny monkeys! And two catz ! ) getting testy with a longtime friend ..... I love Hala and all her contributions.

However , she?s obviously not the most healthy of people however well informed .

I ONLY EVER speak from my own experience because I?ve been subject to BS from like THE WORLD regarding how to lose my excess weight FOREVER.

This is why I won?t diet ever again anymore. ( unless it?s a matter of life n death ) ( I gotta stay alive 2 raise the monkeys :) :) )

Everyone I think has to work out post op how they can do this and still enjoy life and eating.... and the positives SO outweigh the deprivations .

People can b mean grrlz on th internet... I personally don?t get it ... but I too may have put a few snarky posts over the years ( after a few glasses of wine ) myself .

Doing that never feels good the next day .

I hope we can all learn 2 be supportive friends on here now .

Robin
on 10/18/21 4:27 pm - Walled Lake, MI

I agree!

Corwin1968
on 1/4/22 8:08 am

Dr. Matthew Weiner is a bariatric surgeon who has an excellent YouTube channel. He also has a book and program called "A Pound of Cure" and he's a big advocate for lots of plants, post-surgery. It's been awhile since I've browsed his videos but I think he discusses vegetarian/vegan diets after surgery.

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 329 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 129 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?