ADVICE.... eating while cooking for my family...

FluffyChix
on 9/5/17 9:37 am

Donna L. (here on the boards) -- I think she works with bariatric patients as a therapist? Here's one of her posts!

RobbieMcKenney
on 9/5/17 8:10 am

I love carbs as well and do not try to avoid them, but I do eat very small portions of good carbs. I only cook a couple of times a week, and my husband is diabetic, so the carbs we have are brown rice, sweet potatoes, or beans. When I cook for the whole family, I don't taste the food at all because after one bite I can't stop myself. Carbs trigger my appetite, and the best part about the surgery was losing my appetite. I do have bread and white rice on occasion when we go out to eat, but only a small portion after I have eaten my protein. I don't keep white flour pasta or bread in my house.

Doriam R.
on 9/5/17 9:26 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17

That is my fear ... that I won't be able to stop.., I am a bit terrified ? I have not even reach my goal. And I read the tread of what people eat after years of this surgery and it scares me I won't be able to stay on track with so little food ???

RobbieMcKenney
on 9/5/17 10:20 am

If you eat protein first, then vegetables, you will not have room for a lot of carbs. For dinner we usually have chicken or fish with brown rice or sweet potatoes and some vegetables. After I eat the protein, there is little room left for the carbs. Just don't start with carbs first and you will be fine. My mantra has been "Protein first" and it is working just fine.

Knitter215
on 9/5/17 9:34 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I taste the food I cook for my family, but I don't need to taste plain white rice. I know how to cook it, I know when its done and I don't need to taste it to tell. Same with pasta. I don't taste the baked potatoes I make for my husband. I don't make fries any more. Regular pasta has been replaced with Barilla high protein pasta (in the yellow box) so I can have 1/2 cup along with my protein (usually meatballs), while the rest of the family has a larger portion of spaghetti.

But the changes in my diet have helped my family. My husband has lost about 40 pounds. My older daughter (who just started college) is down about 15 and my younger about 10. So, I'm trying to model healthier habits. Do I taste (as in teaspoon or less) sauces I'm preparing - of course - to adjust seasoning. But meats - that's why I have a meat thermometer - it tells me when it is done.

Set boundaries and stick to them and don't make excuses. You can still cook well for your family and not "taste" everything as you go along.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

diane S.
on 9/5/17 11:48 am

You are pretty new from surgery so you must break the tasting habit now. Don't think of it as no carbs forever. Think of it as very limited carbs until you get your weight off. By then you will hopefully have new habits. Keep a few veggies around to taste while you cook or get family to help with parts of the cooking. Put a quarter in a jar every time you take a taste and then add it up and buy a protein drink to sip while you cook. Diane S

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Valerie G.
on 9/8/17 7:42 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Your family doesn't need these carbs either! They can have them away from home, but when cooking dinner, replace the starch with another vegetable so everyone benefits. I did this, and they simply order their rice, pasta and such when we go out to eat. My son's wrestling coach was elated at the idea when he heard we ate only meat and vegetables at dinner. If I used a little flour for a sauce or something, I didn't sweat it, since it's such a small amount. It will make your life so much easier.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

AggieMae
on 9/12/17 2:33 pm, edited 9/12/17 7:34 am
VSG on 10/25/16

I made rice in batches and froze it as sides from my family. They also some got instant mashed potatoes.

As for the rest, I did taste as I cook in the beginning but soon realized that I was full by the time the meal was done cooking so I at just a spoon of two of dense protein with the family.

Now we mostly have boxed meals (Green Chef and Gobble are my favorites) for dinner. I chose the high protein, low carb options from the weekly choices.

The portion for one person is enough for me to take to lunch the next day.

Everything but salt, pepper and oil come in the box, and no tasting necessary.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 90 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 309 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 356 views