Binging since my husband passed

shelly W.
on 3/1/19 10:53 am - Chicago, IL

Wow ladies! I am here to say that I am sorry for everyone's losses. I too have suffered tremendous loss since 2011, my beloved Father and then my only brother in 2016. It has been tremendously difficult for my mom and I. I want to share this story, my Daddy was sick for 33 days over which I experienced a 35 pound weight loss because when someone in my family is ill like that, I have discovered that eating is NOT an option. I can not eat, food makes me sick to my stomach. However, on the night my Daddy died, I sat down and I ate not one PLATE, but TWO, of Lay's plain potato chips and I promise you all that I have been eating chips at night from that day to this. I lost again when my brother was sick, that was a nine month ordeal so you all can imagine. I made certain that I worked out daily while he was sick and when I could eat I made sure it was the best that it could possibly be with lean protein and veggies. It is absolutely amazing to me how grief and dying affects living and I wish someone would have given me better coping skills to prepare for these losses, but here i sit. ckpointchickie I want to know if grief counseling has helped you because this is my next line to pursue for both my mom and myself. People say that it gets better which is not true, imo, it just gets different. For us weight loss patients I think the keys are therapy, accountability and paying attention to what we are putting in our mouths. Additionally it pays to be oh so careful not to trade one vice for another, be it drinking, gambling or other things that can get us into trouble. Be strong ladies, lean on God and know that He doesn't make any mistakes. Sometimes I just try and focus on being grateful for having my loved ones in my life to begin with.

ckpointchickie
on 3/1/19 5:43 pm - IN
VSG on 11/20/12

Very insightful. I did start drinking a glass of wine every day after not drinking alcohol for over a decade. I dont drink to get drunk. I like the taste of moscato and the brand I buy has a low alcohol content, but carbs that I should not have. Why? I don't know. I don't go out and I don't have friends outside of work and family. I have a glass in the evening, watch retro tv and go to bed. My daughter and my pets are my companions. I take care of my mother so there isn't much time for getting "out". I can't wait for spring and working on the memorial garden I created for Dad and husband. The physical activity of yardwork is the best thing I do for myself. What do you do strictly for you?

Most Active
Recent Topics