Salad--worthless NUT

Koko10
on 7/17/11 7:20 am - NC
At 3 months we were allowed to have butter lettuce. I made my salads with that for a long time. It is a softer lettuce and we used it for wraps as well.

Height 5'0 HW-247; SW- 238; GW-140  

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 7:30 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 2:20 PM Pacific Time, Koko10 wrote:
At 3 months we were allowed to have butter lettuce. I made my salads with that for a long time. It is a softer lettuce and we used it for wraps as well.
 I'll just chill out and bide my time!
Thanks for the info.
Carrie
   RNY June 22, 2011        Asheville, NC
    c
www.carriestewartemrick.wordpress.com 
Highest Weight 250      Starting Weight  226      Goal Weight  ???
Height 5'  6.5"
(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 10:45 am
Hi Carrie, I have been where you are right now-DON'T do it.I go to the same group(Nut) and they told me I could try anything. Well, I did and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. What I was eating got stuck then i got the foamies, and with my gag reflex I had dry heaves for hours, thus having to go in to get fluids. I think its because you remember how much you liked a certain food, but give it some more time.Take care, Brenda
Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 10:55 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 5:45 PM Pacific Time, missminime wrote:
Hi Carrie, I have been where you are right now-DON'T do it.I go to the same group(Nut) and they told me I could try anything. Well, I did and ended up in the hospital for 3 days. What I was eating got stuck then i got the foamies, and with my gag reflex I had dry heaves for hours, thus having to go in to get fluids. I think its because you remember how much you liked a certain food, but give it some more time.Take care, Brenda
 Thanks Brenda.
I'm such a rule follower and it ticks me off that they don't give me any rules to follow!  
Ya know?

Anyway, I don't like being sick...so I'll play it safe.
Carrie
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
* JuneCleaver *
on 7/17/11 10:55 am
Carrie,

You've already gotten a lot of good advice but I'll add my 2 cents too.  I'm going on the assumption that you had RNY but if not then your rules might be different.

Raw veggies are very difficult for the system to break down both mechanically and nutritionally speaking.  IF you were to eat raw veggies you would need to chew, chew, chew til the cows come home.

Veggies don't provide a significant amount of protein and they take up valuable space in your pouch that should be filled with protein instead.  Try to dismiss everything you've been taught about "eat your fruits and veggies"...those rules don't apply to you anymore.  It is way more important to get the protein than it is the veggies.

My surgeon told me I could eat raw veggies at 6 months but I chose to wait a full year before I even had lettuce.  A little extreme you might think but it's just what I did.  Once I ate my protein there was no room for veggies so I didn't worry about it.  Honestly I was never big on veggies before so I didn't miss them but YMMV.

But I will say that 3-4 weeks is definitely too soon and nothing good can be gained from putting veggies in place of protein.

Bekah

Lap RNY 6/7/07 (Consult -196 / Current - 111.2) 
LBL/BA 8/13/08  
Coccygectomy 3/09

Carrie S.
on 7/17/11 12:16 pm - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 5:55 PM Pacific Time, * JuneCleaver * wrote:
Carrie,

You've already gotten a lot of good advice but I'll add my 2 cents too.  I'm going on the assumption that you had RNY but if not then your rules might be different.

Raw veggies are very difficult for the system to break down both mechanically and nutritionally speaking.  IF you were to eat raw veggies you would need to chew, chew, chew til the cows come home.

Veggies don't provide a significant amount of protein and they take up valuable space in your pouch that should be filled with protein instead.  Try to dismiss everything you've been taught about "eat your fruits and veggies"...those rules don't apply to you anymore.  It is way more important to get the protein than it is the veggies.

My surgeon told me I could eat raw veggies at 6 months but I chose to wait a full year before I even had lettuce.  A little extreme you might think but it's just what I did.  Once I ate my protein there was no room for veggies so I didn't worry about it.  Honestly I was never big on veggies before so I didn't miss them but YMMV.

But I will say that 3-4 weeks is definitely too soon and nothing good can be gained from putting veggies in place of protein.

Bekah
 Makes sense.  I don't love love veggies either...just was thinking about a fresh salad and it sounded good.  When I say "salad" think lettuce,blue cheese, some type of nut, maybe bacon crumbles, egg...but the only veggie in my salad is lettuce, generally.  LOL  

I've had a couple episodes where I ate something that didn't agree, and I do NOT plan on that happening again.  

Thanks for the advise about fresh veggies.  Goodness knows I don't like them enough to chance it!

Carrie

c
Height 5'  6.5"
MacMadame
on 7/17/11 4:38 pm - Northern, CA
My nut says most people can't tolerate lettuce until around 2-3 months.

I started a bit earlier though and was fine. I think you get a feel for how finicky the new stomach is after a few tries...

HW - 225 SW - 191 GW - 132 CW - 122
Visit my blog at Fatty Fights Back      Become a Fan on Facebook!
Starting BMI 40-ish or less? Join the LightWeights

Carrie S.
on 7/18/11 4:55 am - Asheville, NC
On July 17, 2011 at 11:38 PM Pacific Time, MacMadame wrote:
My nut says most people can't tolerate lettuce until around 2-3 months.

I started a bit earlier though and was fine. I think you get a feel for how finicky the new stomach is after a few tries...

Agreed.
I'm just one month and my pouch is not always happy about the changes we're going through!
I think waiting another month of 2 would be wise.

Thanks!
Carrie

c
Height 5'  6.5"
Don27516
on 7/18/11 5:43 am - NC
 Here is a link to the diet guide from Duke WLS. If the link doesn't work go to DukeWLS.com and then click on the CARE GUIDES drop down box for the BARIATRIC SURGERY DIET MANUEL. The doctors, nurses, and nutritionists at Duke have been awesome.

http://www.dukehealth.org/services/weight_loss_surgery/care_guides/bariatric_surgery_diet_manual/the_recommended_diet_following_bariatric_surgery

Carrie S.
on 7/19/11 4:45 am - Asheville, NC
On July 18, 2011 at 12:43 PM Pacific Time, Don27516 wrote:
 Here is a link to the diet guide from Duke WLS. If the link doesn't work go to DukeWLS.com and then click on the CARE GUIDES drop down box for the BARIATRIC SURGERY DIET MANUEL. The doctors, nurses, and nutritionists at Duke have been awesome.

http://www.dukehealth.org/services/weight_loss_surgery/care_guides/bariatric_surgery_diet_manual/the_recommended_diet_following_bariatric_surgery
 Thank you so much Don!!
    c
Height 5'  6.5"
Most Active
Recent Topics
10 years today
Linda B. · 1 replies · 308 views
12 Year Surgiversary!
Lee ~ · 1 replies · 432 views
Post Iron Infusion Dizziness
Jennifer K. · 0 replies · 497 views
Still kickin'...
STLfan · 0 replies · 516 views