still anemic

Rhonda F
on 1/4/08 12:11 am - Eldridge, IA
Hope all of you are healthy and happy! I am doing great. I have maintained at 143-150 now for two years. I have noticed I've been up 5lbs regularly the last couple of months so I know I need to up the eating awareness and activity. My only lingering health issue is anemia. I have struggled with this now for over 2 years. I now take 6 iron capsules a day but last time I was checked my iron was still low. I have had every test available to look for bleeding and through the process have had a hysterectomy due to heavy periods, hoping to cure the low iron. It is time for me to go get my blood drawn again and if it is still low, they will probably do something (they've talked of an iron infusion.) I am hoping after that I will be more energetic. My husband and I had started a running program and it was going great until he hurt his back. Since then we haven't gotten back on track. When we were running, it was very obvious that I didn't have the stamina I should have been gaining. I have a friend who is a Dr and she said it is very likely the low iron. I don't know if she was trying to make me feel better or if it could actually make that much difference. Is anyone else having this problem of anemia? What are you doing for it? Thanks for any input. Rhonda
MaryEllenC
on 1/4/08 11:12 pm - Reedsville, WV
Yes, I'm right there with ya! My iron levels have been in the toilet for the past year and at first my surgeon had me up the amount of OTC iron I was taking....but it didn't work. Last month he gave me a script for a prescription iron supplement called Repliva. Won't have blood labs drawn again for another 3 months so will have to wait and see if this new med works. I've noticed I don't feel as tired as before (don't know if this is just wishful thinking on my part or if it's actually working) and the best thing about this supplement is that it does not constipate me like the OTC iron supps did....woohoo! Have you been on any prescription iron therapy or just taking OTC stuff? Mary Ellen Lap RNY 1-31-05 280 - highest 166 - current
Most Active
Recent Topics