I need to quit smoking!

vanessa1980
on 11/21/06 8:29 pm - Bay Village, OH
Hello everyone! I have been struggling with quitting smoking snce June. I need some help! Any suggestions? I have this awful cough and I fear if I don't quit right now the doctor will cancel. I want to be a non smoker but the addiction is fighting me. Please help!
Pugsley
on 11/22/06 1:03 am - Dedham, MA
I have had such a hard time also but I am down to one a day and I got my date so now I have to quit because they will not do the surgery if I am smoking.
DDBEAR458
on 11/22/06 8:42 am - WORCESTER, MA
i smoke too. not in the house though because EVERYONE in my family HATES it. i get berated every time!!! i don't want to sound gross or anything, but maybe if you carry around a picture of yourself NAKED. that might help. good luck. lol
the7thdean
on 11/28/06 7:51 am - GA
Some surgeons have stipulations around smoking prior to the surgery. I've read from some that you have to stop 2 weeks prior. I think my partner only stopped a few days prior; however, with this cough you are developing -- you may want to use your insurance to check into a smoking cessation program or a patch or something that help you make it through until after the surgery. One thing at a time. Mentally and emotionally the surgery is huge -- cut back on the number of cigarettes you smoke a day and see if that will help. And some surgeons want perform the surgery if you have not quit or slowed down. Best of luck to you. I know its hard -- I'm still trying to get my partner to stop. After I have my surgery is January -- I'm going to push her to stop and she will probably make it because we are going to be working out together.
courtneymariah
on 11/30/06 3:48 pm - Gill, MA
I quit seven weeks ago with the patch, it can be done. I just tell myself that if there comes a point when I really want one then I can have it and go right back to business. We always want the most what we tell ourselves we can't have. Play some mind tricks with yourself and gum and candy are great. My Fiance used sunflower seeds to help him. He said shelling then in his mouth kept him distracted. I will not tell you it is easy or even that it gets easier. It just gets less hard as the days go by. Good luck.
the7thdean
on 11/30/06 7:47 pm - GA
Great you quit smoking. She'll quit -- she has before.
courtneymariah
on 11/30/06 8:29 pm - Gill, MA
Sorry Nadine, I must have replied to your specific post on accident. It was a general comment meant to help anyone who needed a little encouragment, just wanted to be sure people know that. I hope your partner stays quit the next time. Good luck.
the7thdean
on 11/30/06 9:14 pm - GA
No problem Courtney and thanks for the words of encouragement -- we all can replace your reference to cigarettes with something else. She looses entire packs, leaves them in the car, can't find them in the house and then say the universe is telling her she needs to quit - and I say so am I. She will in time --she uses it as a stress reliever -- I tell her to go work out (who am I to talk). I should be in the fitness center this morning. But we were up early and I'm going back for about an hour.
courtneymariah
on 12/1/06 2:00 am - Gill, MA
That's great, keep up the exercising and yes cigarettes were a stress reliever in my life too, for 8 years which may not seem like long, but 1/3 of my life. She just needs to throw them away and discover new ways to cope. I had this sugery as a motivator and reason to quit so I guess that made it easier for me then most to not keep making excusing as I did for years. So easy, I would love to make an excuse right now to smoke but I can't. I must say that if you are not ready to quit then you won't. Have you ever smoked? It is the hardest thing I ever gave up, I found it easier to stick to a diet then quit. Food addiction is so much different. I still crave cigarettes almost everyday but it makes me sick that I let them have that kind of hold over me and my life. They are gonzo for good. She needs a really good reason to quit and she will, once and for all.
staceyk
on 12/1/06 5:50 am
Hi. I have tried for years to quit using patches and gum but always went back.I too had to quit before surgery around febuary.My doctor gave me a new drug to quit called chantax.It really worked i still thought about but didn't want one.I still think about it when I see people smoke and say thank god thats not me anymore.It used to take up my day.I was always thinking about when or where I was going to have my next cigs.It really hard to quit but You will for the surgery and yourself.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Year 7!!!
Stephanie B. · 14 replies · 1388 views
5 Year Anniversary
Stephanie B. · 1 replies · 1069 views