Jan. 22 and skeptical, scared, excited

CeiliKid
on 12/30/06 5:20 am
Surgery is set for Jan. 22 and I'm.... Skeptical: I have an odd feeling that all is not quite right with my insurance, the approved me awfully quickly and without a six month dr. supervised diet program which they say they require (Aetna). My husband lost his job but we have been paying out of pocket for Cobra/Aetna so that we could continue our coverage specifically for the surgery. Scared: I've had 4 outpatient surgeries since 2000 but never a major surgery like this. Scared of pain and scared of vomitting. Excited: It's in my sights to be able to fit into my bathtub comfortably, tie my shoes, shave my legs, sleep better, play with my son, have a better body image. I'm sick of the food, I'm sick of the want of food, the drug that calls to me. I have my pre-op and classes on Jan. 3rd. I have a feeling I'll find out for sure then if my insurance really will cover the surgery.
Karen N.
on 12/30/06 6:51 am - Charlotte, NC
Ceili, Some of us are so used to the negative, it's hard to accept the positive without wondering 'what's the catch'? Try not to second guess. If they say you're approved, you're approved. Love the things you are excited about. I can sooooo relate. Be positive. It's going to be a GREAT '07 for you! Happy New Life to Us!
(deactivated member)
on 12/30/06 8:56 am - Channahon, IL
I didn't do a six month diet either and my insurance approved it right away. I have never had a major surgery either but I can't think of the bad. I think I am going to stay in denial about it because honestly what can you do about it. My goal is just to put on nylons and not have them all twisted up. It takes me like 10 minutes every morning just to get them right. I have to go in on January 3rd for my pre-op diet, chest x-ray and blood work. I think after you go maybe it will start to feel real. Good luck
CeiliKid
on 12/30/06 11:44 am
Part of the reason I'm having the negative feelings about insurance is because ever since we started paying out of pocket for Cobra it's been one headache after another. They've told me I should be able to use my regular insurance card for dr. appts but so far it hasn't been accepted. We've been on the phone no less than 4 times with them and we just can't seem to get the problem straightened out. I'm just nervous about the whole thing. My husband has told me not to worry, he'll make sure we are covered. He needs to have the surgery as well. I can't wait for the 3rd, I'm ready to have concrete information. I can't wait for my classes either. I can't wait for a new chance. I want to dance again.
cathrynsrealm
on 12/30/06 4:33 pm - Corbin, KY
First of all, just know that you are taking a huge step in the right direction. And if your insurance pre-approved the surgery, then it's covered. Most insurance companies have a 1-800 number you should be able to call if you have any questions. You said you've talked to them 4 times previously. I would call them and keep them on the line until all your questions are answered. And if you think the operator isn't helping you out, ask to speak to their supervisor. I worked in a call center for a long time. In most cases they're required to transfer calls to someone more knowledgable if the customer asks. Also, don't be afraid to ask for things in writing. Your peace-of-mind is most important. Good luck. I completely understand your list of 'goals' lol... mine are somewhat similar. Congrats on getting your date! You'll be losing in no time.
Anna Bryant
on 12/30/06 10:57 pm - Roanoke, VA
Ceili, you will be just fine hon. This is our new lease on life and we just have to grab it and go. Please let us know about the insurance. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for it to go smooth for you and no more worries. I would talk to the doctors office though. Anna
Most Active
Recent Topics
Year 7!!!
Stephanie B. · 14 replies · 1395 views
5 Year Anniversary
Stephanie B. · 1 replies · 1070 views