Checking In...

comom2trips
on 4/17/10 3:01 pm
Hey guys- just checking in...
Had a little mishap at the gym- a back squat went bad.  I collapsed with the barball on me before I could throw it off and it was a lot of weight.  I thought I was paralyzed and was afraid to move afraid to breathe- but eventually able to get up and walk- so (MORON) tried to stretch it out on the floor for 45 min and couldn't work it out- hung from the chin-up bars and twisted and just couldn't shake this one area of pain.
Several hours later had a friend drive me to Dr who then- sent me to X-ray lab and sweet friend drove me there too.  Took X-rays- but while on table everything went numb and couldn't move. Techs are super nice to me and are now telling me they can't move me til they hear back from my Dr...
My Dr calls and tells me I have at least one broken vertebrae and that he's calling ambulance, backboard...
At ER they do CAT scan and find T12 burst fracture (shattered), T11 broken, and L1 broken too.  Ligaments or whatever else torn- NOTHING holding spine in place, spinal cord damage? unstable... all they want to do is give me pain meds and all I want is to go pee before they put in a catheter.  I don't want pain meds before I speak with neurosurgeon- I'm still convinced I'm going to talk my way out of surgery (MORON).
Surgery is a MUST- they can't guarantee I'll walk again...blah blah blah...
5 level posterior spinal fusion from T10-L2 with hardware (titanium rods, screws, crossbars).  Bone graft for fusion done from my back as well.  Relearned to walk and do stairs before I left the hospital.
Am still in brace- bone graft is taking.  I am walking up and down the hill to my house on occasion- not as much as I should...
Lost weight in the hospital and everyone got a little worried- but I eat everything now so am maintaining currently at 120lbs.  It's sad- I know I am actually "gaining"- but no one knows- because I am losing muscle that I worked so hard to build - and muscle weighs more than fat- hence the same weight.  I have seen my Taneda bathroom scale go from 18% body fat up to 23% body fat- but not much I can do about it at this point but wait and heal well.  Very hard to watch the atrophy of muscle in my back and arms especially because now the skin starts to sag again and it is very ugly.  I am maintaining 120-125 pounds- but I am eating everything in sight to stay there.  It's kind of odd- I worked out so hard and ate so little for so long to fight for each pound and now this?  Very wierd...
All in all- I am one VERY lucky woman.  Every Dr and Ptherapist say they cannot believe I am not paralyzed after I meet them.  I am blessed by my family and friends and community who brought me flowers, visited me, prayed with me and brought my family food for a month of dinners.
Triplets totally freaked at hospital visit- would not come in room-" what's up your nose?",  "what's on your legs?"...  am better now that I am home home.  Want to know when I will be able to kiss them goodnight and how old will I be when i can stop wearing the brace or drive a car.
Again- very lucky and feeling majorly blessed...
Brit
EGSuzie
on 4/22/10 8:56 am - Elk Grove, CA
Wow, Brit! I don't come around very often anymore...no one else seems to either.  But when I saw you had posted, I got so excited to see what was new in your life. I have to say, I'm a little heartbroken for you and this accident.

You are amazingly fortunate to be up and around again...it sounds as though you could have been in a much worse place. Just remember to take it one step at a time...don't push yourself too hard! A re-injury can be more devastating to your upbeat attitude than the first injury was.

I am soooo glad to see you here!! I miss you and all of the ladies that used to call this home.

High Wt. 251.5/Goal 150/Current 145  39 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall, Size 1
  December 22, 2009~~ BA, Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck, Sm. Thigh lift   
                     Dr. Francisco Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico

comom2trips
on 4/26/10 12:11 pm
How's the post plastic surgery bod?  Are you just dying for summer and the skimpy clothes?  :)  You looked awesome before- I can't imagine now!!!
EGSuzie
on 5/4/10 9:24 am - Elk Grove, CA
I'm as happy as a pig in mud! All things body-wise turned out better than I could have imagined!

High Wt. 251.5/Goal 150/Current 145  39 yrs. old, 5' 6" tall, Size 1
  December 22, 2009~~ BA, Fleur de Lis Tummy Tuck, Sm. Thigh lift   
                     Dr. Francisco Sauceda, Monterrey, Mexico

Stephanie B.
on 5/3/10 1:33 pm - Chattanooga, TN
WOW!  I am so sorry to hear that you had this happen but so happy to see that you are recovering.....better than they expected you too!  I will send up prayers for you and your continued recovery and strength thru this and even though I am not here that often anymore I too miss you guys!!  I see you and Suz are the only two regulars left around here now.  ((HUGS))
Most Active
Recent Topics
Year 7!!!
Stephanie B. · 14 replies · 1385 views
5 Year Anniversary
Stephanie B. · 1 replies · 1067 views