Slow Loser??

Donna I.
on 4/29/07 6:26 am - Kempner, TX
I'll be 9 weeks on 1 May (surgery--Feb 27). I'm down 52 lbs but 12 was from the 2 week pre-surgery liquid protein. My NP wants me to lose 4-5 lbs a week but.....I'm only losing about 1/2 - 1 lb a week. QUESTION: What is your "prescribed" eating plan? My NP says only 2 meals per day (4-5 bites about the size of my thumb nail), and no snacks or protein shakes. When I do that, I get really week feelling like I'm about to pass out (or melt to the floor), and I'm soooooo tired. I've been having mini-meals of stuff like peanuts, cheese sticks, etc. (almost always protein ) (snacks??) about every 3 hrs and feel much better. Sometimes I'll have a protein shake but not too often. Maybe that is why I'm not losing the 4-5 lbs per week?? I also haven't quite made it to the "at least 80 oz. of water and an hour of exersize per day" but am working on it.....am at about 45 oz and 45 minutes!
Jill A.
on 4/29/07 10:27 am - Monroe, NC
I had surgery about 9 weeks ago and am only down 38 pounds. I feel like I should be moving faster. I got stuck on a 3 week stall and broke it by upping my calories to about 800 a day. But it's starting to slow down again. It gets frustrating. But I look at weight logs of others who have been successful getting to goal weight and they lost it slow and steady, too. I'm just keeping the faith because I don't have a choice! ...Jill
Donna I.
on 4/29/07 9:09 pm - Kempner, TX
Same here!! What is your total you need to lose? Mine is 112 lb. I've been told that the less you need to lose, the slower you do so. A friend was close to 400 and lost over 150 since Sep of last year. Another friend was at 256 a year ago and now weighs 117. Soooo.....I'll keep plodding along. As you said, what choice do we have?? Although, I still don't regret the choice I made!
Tammy A.
on 5/1/07 6:02 am - Maple Grove, MN
I had surgery on Feb 7 and have lost 51 lbs to date. I average 3-4 lbs a week, but I am finding that the more protein I eat the more I loose. I have 1 egg for breakfast, stuffed tomato w/tuna for lunch and then what ever protein I can stand for dinner. I do fit in some veggies, but right now my diet is mostly protein. I am surprised that your doctor told you 2 meals a day, that isn't a good thing since you are eating so little. I don't snack in between, but I definately have 3 meals a day. Tammy
Ben
on 5/2/07 6:40 am - Fresno, CA
I had my surgery 7 days before you and I am down 57lbs. I think you are doing great but I dont know why your surgeon has only told you two meals a day, thats crazy. If your only eating small amounts, then you should eat more times. You also need to get as much fluids in you as possible. This is what I do almost everyday... Morning coffee with one scoop of whey protien(23grams) low carbs and low sugars Mid morning, start drinking fluids and have a low carb protien bar(sugarfree) a lot of times I just stick to drinking Lunch time, I try to eat pintos n cheese or wendy's chili, I have recently discovered that Taco Bell will give me an encharito without the tortilla and it is better than Pintos N Cheese, if I cant eat I try to get another high protien-lowcarb-sugarfree shake in drink fluids instead of looking for a snack in the afternoon or grab a handful of almonds or cashews Dinner, I just eat the protien part of what I have made for my family and see if I have enough room left for the veggie's. after dinner I try to keepp up with the fluids and alway try to get some s/f popsicles in as my snack, they are fluids too so it helps if you have trouble drinking a lot. As far as excersize, well my the time I work all day, get home and cook dinner, clean the kitchen and chase six kids around and get them into bed, well, I am out of time. I have a two story house so I like to think that I have a natural stairmaster(which is getting so much easier now). Dont forget, since you are excersizing, you are now building muscle while you are losing fat and it weighs more. Try measuring yourself and see if you are losing inches, dont worry about your stalls in weight loss because your body is just adjusting and it will kick back in. My Dr told me to have three meals a day and the first two are the most important because those are what keeps you going in the day. Your doing a great job and keep up the good work. As we say on the Men's Board...being a "Loser" is a good thing now!
ozlady1000
on 5/3/07 12:37 am - Davison, MI
Hi Donna, I am 3 months post op stuck in a stall and losing slow as well. It is frustrating espically when you see others doing so great. I have been exercising like a mad woman; and yet I won't budge. I know I don't drink enough water; and possibly don't get enough protein. Hopefully we can all encourage one another. Sincerely, Judy R
Roxie
on 5/8/07 12:20 am - Fairfield, NJ
Hi all, I am also about 3 months out I had surgery on Feb. 13th and have lost 47 lbs and can't budge anymore, my husband tells me not to eat at all but I get really hungry, I'm thinking I probably do need to eat something especially after hearing all of you talk I walk about a mile-two a day. Roxie
Vanessa J.
on 5/8/07 1:11 am - Pittsburgh, PA
I am 10 weeks out, now, and I am a very slow loser. I am down 46 pounds, but have lost a good number of inches. I have not been able to get a good plan for exercise as I am running of elected office and must spend a lot of time door knocking, which is a good form of exercise. I live in a hilly area. I also do not get enough water or protein. I do notice when I up my protein intake, I see a jump in pounds lost. I am just not hungry and have to force myself to eat. I am not sure why you are only allowed two meals per day. I am allowed to eat normal meals. Here is a link to my surgeons dietary guidelines. It might help y ou. http://www.bariatricsurgerypittsburgh.com/process/dietary_guidelines.html Have you been taking all of you vitamins?
reggaedj
on 5/9/07 10:41 pm - Cape Cod, MA
Don't feel bad. Im 10 weeks out and I've only lost 30 lbs since surgery. I am working out a lot , however, so I think I may be gaining muscle mass. People have noticed a change, so I know something is going on!! And I feel a lot better, physically. I do feel like the world's slowest loser, though.
Diana06
on 5/24/07 2:13 pm - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hi Donna, I understand what you are going through. I have lost 63 pounds total. I feel great. What my NUT has stated over and over again is to no matter what get in 80-90 grams of protein a day and drink all your water. She also told me not to worry about calories and to eat little carbs and focus on foods that are high in protein. There is this website called fitday.com which I have been using and it is a great tool to use during your journey. My website which you can look at is http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=funnydi it gives you my nutritional information. When I see my doctor in a week I will have him look over it to see if my eating habits are good or bad or things that I need to change. I feel strongly that this is the most difficult part after surgery because I have no idea if what I am eating is right . I suggest to try it out the website. Take Care ~Diana~
Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 742 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 763 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 714 views