Caloric Intake Question

Shelley J.
on 6/19/07 3:39 am - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Hey guys - in evaluating my daily diet, I realized I am only taking in about 300-400 calories and wondered where you guys are in those terms. I think it is likely low, but also know I find eating a pain in the bootie! It takes too long, I end up having some sort of discomfort often, and my choices are limited. Can you let me know about how many calories you take in and what it is you are eating at this point. Thanks my sistahs & brothers! Shelley
Diana06
on 6/19/07 5:09 am - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hey Shelley this is the main concern that I am having. I have had a couple of responses one from my doctor and one from the nutritionist. The nutritionist advised me to worry about my protein intake only and to eat very little carbs. When I saw my doctor 2 weeks ago I asked him how many calories I should be consuming and he said between 900 -1200 calories when I exercise. I am averaging around 500-700 calories a day. If you would like to look at what I eat daily you can visit http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=funnydi Just curious what do you eat? Keep up the good work! Your looking great! ~Diana~
Shelley J.
on 6/20/07 1:40 am - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Hi Diana, Until today, I was eating something like this: B: Protein Shake L: Yogurt (Dannon Lite & Lean) D: Cheese (1 oz) and Crackers (4) My angel just slapped my hand and gave me some suggestions on a new - more protein rich diet. I will post that here as well. Thanks for the info! We'll figure this out! Shelley
Shelley J.
on 6/20/07 1:43 am - Clinton, MS
RNY on 02/05/07 with
Here's what my angel suggested: Hope it helps you guys too! Morning and at 800pm protein shake.. each 250 calories 66 grams of protein..r u drinking them with milk for the added calories and protein... snack two hours after breakfast and 2 to 3 hours after lunch.. i have mine at 9 and 3 each day. Make protein balls and eat those once a day at one of your snacks.. eat two for a total of 220 calories and 22 grams of protein. you can have yogurt or something else at the other snack you enjoy.. u need to get some veggies and fruit in there too.. try and keep the protein up above 80 .. 100 even better.. that will keep you from loosing ur hair so badly.. With what you are eating that should get u closer to 900 calories a day which is the least amount you should be eating with the exercise you are doing.. remember increasing protein and calories will make you loose weight.. trust me.. I have done the same as you and when I made the increase I saw the weight fall off again.. so lets break this down.. B- protein shake with milk 230 cals 33 protein S- fruit/ veggie.. eat a banana or something..or your yogurt here L- Protien protein protein for lunch.. chicken or beef for the protein you need S- 2 protein balls 210 cals 22 grams of protein D- protein and some veggies.. dont get sick here.. S- protein drink 250 cals and 33 protein... Now if you look at this you get 88 protein just from the shakes and balls.. than u eat some at each meal you should be fine. Now you need to start getting some veggies in you.. dont worry about calories right now.. you are way to low.. get them in.. try and get up to 900 a day.. ok.. you with me..
shellinaj
on 6/20/07 9:33 am - Albany, MN
Hi! Well, I question myself on this too. I usually have a protein drink in the am w/ crystal lite and vanilla protein powder - 110 cal/23 g protein, sunflower seeds mid am, 1/2 can tuna mixed w/ ranch dressing on 5 wheatable crackers at noon - 150 cal/8 g protein, and then try to have at least 4 bites of real meat (pork chop, chicken breast, etc.) and a couple bites of vegetable for dinner (200 cal/10 g protein(approx.)), and a lofat/carb yogurt w/ allbran mixed in for snack (100 cal/8 g protein..... So, that would total 500 to 600 calories and 55-60 grams protein each day..... Of course, on weekends I am busy with husband, dog, and 4 kids, and so I tend to forget to eat and probably only get 200 to 300 cals a day..... My Dr said that 60 protein was plenty (??) They are all different aren't they! My doctor said losing the weight will be automatic. The task to master is learing to eat real meat. He said that if I don't do that I could become a snacker and that is where the possibility of gaining the wieght back is..... My biggest fear! Anyway, you guys are doing great! Keep it up!!! The OTHER Shelley J.
bandycat
on 7/3/07 12:25 pm - Boscobel, WI
VSG on 02/19/07 with
Hi Shelley, Your really low on those calories lady. I have been averaging 850 most days with close to 100gms of protein. You definately need more calories. My average days consists of: Breakfast:One of these things Oatmeal with added protein and a bit of milk Ham and Cheese Omelette Yogurt with All Bran cereal mixed in Kay's protein cereal(like Cheerio's) with Hoods milk Lunch and supper Any meat from the crockpot with some gravy and a couple of spoons of mashed taters or pizza burger Low carb tortilla with chicken, pepperjack cheese and a dash of ranch dressing Low carb tortilla made into a pizza with turkey pepperoni tuna salad on protein chips 3 turkey meatballs with sauce and cheese or lots of other ideas based on what the family is eating together. If I can work it in I do...if not I make something different for me. I usually suppliment with two protein drinks too on most days. It is working for me...I have lost 93lbs so far. Lots to go yet but I am working on it. Cathy
bigtwan76
on 7/7/07 3:55 pm - FL
Before, my diet mainly consisted of Glenny's Soy Chips, vitamins & minerals, Soy drink, a lot of Crystal Lite, and water. This was like months 1 and 2 after surgery. I was averaging 300-600 calories max. Then the dizzy spells started. Went to see doctor, and I was basically told to eat more. I have thrown in some Tuna, some Turkey Jerky, Boca burgers, boiled or baked Chicken, and soups or chili (my nutritionist actually recommended Wendy's Chili) in the mix. Yes it is slow process, one Boca burger (no bread) takes me 45 minutes, but I do not have the dizzy spells anymore. My calorie intake is 800-1000 a day. I think this is where you should be. After surgery, I was constantly thinking that I cannot eat, I should not eat, or I am going to spend the rest of my life drinking soy shakes. Surgery is a tool. You need to know how to use it. Your body is burning faster than you can replace. You still have to make sure that you supplying it with the right things. I think you need to get a little more in you, but that is my opinion.
Most Active
Recent Topics
HAPPY 3 YR SURGIVERSARY!
SUSIEQQ62 · 0 replies · 742 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 1 replies · 763 views
Reality
Shelley J. · 0 replies · 714 views