HELP: Carbs/Fat gms/Calories

sails92
on 3/3/04 11:46 pm - Lexington, KY
This is a two-part question. 1. What are some foods that are low in carbs, fat grams and calories? 2. What is a good daily intake for a WLS patient for carbs, fat grams and calories? Many Blessings, Marilyn Lexington, KY 341/263/175 3/27/03 (-78lbs)
Jan P.
on 3/5/04 12:24 am - ARLINGTON, TX
Marilyn, I really can't tell you how many calories/fat/carbs you should or not be eating. My doctor does not have a set amount, he says "you had this surgery to not have to diet the rest of your life, eat normally, but just until your are full". I usually eat approx 800-1000 calories a day, would say my carbs are kept below 30. I do not eat any....not any bread, potato's, pasta, rice or crackers. I eat lots of beef jerky, peanut butter, yogurt, fish, shell fish, chicken, beef, pork, salad, & veggies. 2 oz of beef jerky has only 160 calories and 32 grams of protein. A 3 oz can of tuna has less than 100 calories and 21 grams of protein. Hope some of this helps. Jan P 326/190/1??, pending hernia repair and tummy tuck
Cynthia B.
on 3/5/04 9:36 am - Hickory, NC
Hey Marilyn, Thanks for your notes to me--I do appreciate them and posted a message this evening. As to your question about carbs, I have kept to way under 30 carbs since before my surgery. I do eat some, however, especially in the form of fruits--esp. oranges, strawberries, blueberries, pineapples, and apples. I always use fresh/frozen w/o sugar added. The vitamins and nutrients outweigh the natural sugar carbs and I deal well with foods that are light. Unlike Jan, I do eat some bread, but only in SMALL portions (1-2 oz) for a day and only with lots of grains/seeds so there is a lot of fiber carbs that are subtracted from the total carb content. The major key is healthy choices. Fat has no carbs but if you can tolerate fats, eating a lot of fat is unhealthy. Lean meats, poultry, and fish are great. Most cheeses are great also as long as you don't overdo them (because of the fat content). Peanut butter is really good as long as it doesn't have sugar added. You can get lower-fat pb--Smucker's has a great all-natural one. Non-starchy veggies are also good choices, esp. leafy greens, broccoli, SWEET POTATOES (white potatoes are not as good for you), carrots (if you can tolerate them), beets, green beans, squashes, etc. A couple of my favorite snacks foods are: celery with pb or cream cheese, crisp apple slices w/either cheese slices or peanut butter or peanut butter mixed w/smushed banana (if I think my potassium level is low). Low-fat yogurt w/frozen fruits and homemade granola is also great for me. Cottage cheese w/unsweetened pineapple is also a good choice. I have some recipes for some quiche-like dishes w/o the eggy taste (I don't like eggs by themselves) that use low-fat cottage cheese and other cheeses, veggies like broccoli, onions, mushrooms; and eggs. This is soooo good and keeps well in the refrigerator. I hope this helps. God bless.
Most Active
Recent Topics
10th Anniversary!
Naomi G. · 0 replies · 617 views
Six Year Anniversary
summewe · 1 replies · 1655 views
Happy New Year
bjsmumniki · 0 replies · 652 views
5 Yrs Post OP Tomorrow!
Dayanara A. · 1 replies · 711 views