A wierd question

lharbison
on 6/6/04 12:21 am - Metairie, LA
Hi y'all It's been a great year - 3/20/03 290.5/159.5. But I have a wierd question. Do you ever feel thin? I've gone from size 26/28 to size 12 and everyone is telling me how thin/good I look. And they aren't being ugly about it, they're truly complimenting me. But I still don't feel thin to me. I walk by a mirror or reflection in a window and I can see how much better I look. But I can't actually visualize myself as thin. Yes, I can see my clavicle bones, and when I lie down, my ribs and hipbones stick out. Will I always have the "fat" mentality. I guess part of it stems from the loose skin I see when I make the mistake of looking in the mirror sans clothes!!! I went on a shopping spree last weekend and stood behind a lady in line who was putting size 18 pants on the counter. I didn't think she looked any fatter than I did. I know this is probably wierd to most of you, but i was just wondering.
Dixie Chick
on 6/6/04 5:50 am - War Eagle, AL
I had my surgery on 3/20/03 also!! I have lost 115 lbs and alot of inches! I have gone from a 20 to a 4 petite and yes, at times I do not feel thin. I know I am, but I just don't feel it. I can see it in pictures though! Maybe in time my mind will catch up. Love, Lindy
DAVIDH
on 6/9/04 9:33 am - Northern Idaho
It took WLS to make me thin and it took plastic surgery to make me "feel" thin. I had plastic surgery just 3 weeks ago and until that time my mind would always see the extra skin and I would tell myself I am still fat. Well once my surgeon took off the extra skin I finally realized I am not fat, that it really was just skin that was hanging off me making me look fat, at least to myself. The mental adjustment has been a much harder one to make for me then anything regarding the diet changes. My wife and others have been telling me for months how skinny I am, and I just could not believe them until that hanging skin was eliminated. Now I do actually feel thin, for the first time in my entire life. It really is an odd feeling when it goes against a mind set of being fat that I developed over 35+ years of my life.
Debi B.
on 6/10/04 1:29 am - Bellport, NY
I'm glad I read this.... My date is Sept 9th 2004 I keep saying that I will be happy no matter what skin is hanging. I don't want to go under the knife again............. But after reading your note......I may have to rethink that. Thank you. Debi
Catherine B
on 6/10/04 4:26 am - Kingsland, GA
I know how you feel. I started at 251 pounds and I am now 129.5 and I still feel fat.. Why? I dont know maybe our brains have not caught up with our bodies. I wear a size 4/6 and I still want to go to the plus sizes first . I have people telling me to stop loosing but I just dont see how I can if I still feel fat . Will we ever be happy with our bodies I doubt it ..
Marilyn R.
on 6/10/04 11:32 am - Queens, NY
Hey Linda! It's not a weird question, I too still feel HUGE although it is definately noticeable that I have lost a lot of weight and can wear a size 12 and some size 10's. it's a mind thing, it still has not caught up. I'm having my Plastic surgery next month to get rid of this hanging stomach, the surgeon says I'll be going down a couple of more sizes when my tummy is flat, I can't wait for that!!! When I go shopping I keep finding myself in the Plus size section, go figure Marilyn
msmarinajb
on 6/15/04 3:44 pm - CA
I have the same problem, so I guess it's a trend. I went from size 22 to size 8 and I still feel like about size 16. I asked my Dr. about this and he said it takes a while, but after about 2 years, we get used to our new size and start seeing ourselves "true to size". I can't wait, cause it's wierd stepping on the scale and seeing 155, but still feeling 215. Marina
Marya H.
on 7/20/04 12:35 am - Sequin, TX
Hey thinking you have a wierd question, I do not think that this is strange or weird at all. I think it has to do with having a certain idenity for so long and becoming if you will, someone else on the outside. I have some of these issues. I went from a size twenty plus to a five. I went to the coast for my birthday and I told my husband as I looked in the mirrors of the car that I saw a huge fat person. Although, I know this is not true-I could honestly see myself big again. He said it was the reflection in the mirror. Yeah, my reflection of the past. It was strange. I find myself looking in almost every mirror in dis-believe that this is me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
10th Anniversary!
Naomi G. · 0 replies · 617 views
Six Year Anniversary
summewe · 1 replies · 1655 views
Happy New Year
bjsmumniki · 0 replies · 652 views
5 Yrs Post OP Tomorrow!
Dayanara A. · 1 replies · 711 views