SCARED and Seeking Support and Reassurance

Yolanda R.
on 7/7/04 1:09 am - Pearland, TX
Hi, I am 34 and live in Houston, TX. I have been to NeWeigh Clinic in Houston and I am considering having Dr. Alanis do my surgery. I don't have any health issues that warrant this surgery other then the fact that my BMI is 44 and I want to lose this weight. I am very nervous about the surgery and I am trying to find the courageto put myself under a knife (I AM A BABY WHEN IT COMES TO PAIN) instead of to lose the 160 pounds I need to lose. Obviously, I can't do it on my own the conventional ways so that is why I need the surgery. I would love to hear from anyone who has had the surgery any positive and/or negative fedback so that I can come to a solid decision. Take care and God Bless!
clpeltier
on 7/9/04 5:04 am - Howell, MI
Hi Yolanda, You won't regret having this surgery! You will be amazed at how good you feel only 2 months post-op. There is nothing you can do for yourself that will benefit you more in the long-run than losing the weight. Trust me, if you don't, you will have tons of health problems ten years from now. Go for it, girl! And DON'T be afraid to ask for support or reassurance. That's why we're here! Be sure to research all of the surgery types so you can pick the one that sounds the least scary to you.
Yolanda R.
on 7/11/04 10:36 pm - Pearland, TX
Thank you Christine. You are the only person that responded to my ad and I was beggining to think it never went through because I couldn't find it. I am still nervous, but I am sure I am on the right path. I have my psychological exam this morning and then my sleep apnea test tonight. Wish me luck!!! Yolanda
lharbison
on 7/14/04 8:32 am - Metairie, LA
Hi Yolanda. You're not going thru what we all did before we made our decision. I'm 16 mos out and can honestly say I definitely don't regret having my surgery. My only down side is that I'm in such good shape now that I'm the one out pushing the lawnmower in the New Orleans heat this year!! But seriously, I had a great doc, he was informative and was very caring. I had open RNY and was in the hospital a couple of extra days because of a slight problem. I had the pain pump the first 2 days, but since I used it so few times, they took it off and I made it fine with a couple of pain shots. Liquid pain med a couple of times a day when I went home. I was back at work in 2 1/2 weeks, tired, of course, but it passed. It's wonderful now having my husband call me his beautiful skinny wife (I was always beautiful to him). Yes, it's scarey, but you're only 34 years old. Not having problems won't last much longer. Carrying the extra weight around will take its toll. I've lost almost half of myself , from 290 to 150. Have gone from a size 26-28 to a 10-12. I'm 56 years old and I feel great and can enjoy life to the max. So suck it up, take that step and look forward to a long and healthy life. My thoughts will go with you and hope to hear that you're on the other side soon. Feel free to e-mail me any time. Hugs, Linda
Marya H.
on 7/20/04 12:30 am - Sequin, TX
Hey Scared and seeking support, You have a right to be scared. This is something not to take lightly. I have had a total of five surgeries. But, I can say at this point that it has been well worth every bit of pain. The physical pain is so different I believe than the emotional torment of everyday prejudges. I am not sure what your cir****tance are, but if you feel that you have tried everything than I believe you are ready. The surgeries that I have had are lap and open in the same day. Infection, bleeding, four pints of blood, and now fifteen months out I had to have a severe hernia repair and my gallbladder removed because I lost weight to rapidly. I also had to have a relocation of my stomach. It has been painfull. I am not going to lie to you. But, even as I sit here stitched up I am happy that I did this. My life is so much different now. If you have any questions at all feel free to email me. I will be glad to talk with you. Sincerely, Another Patient-Missy
BLSLIM77
on 8/1/04 10:06 am - SAN ANTONIO, FL
GOOD LUCK!!!! MARCH 26 2003 I HAD OPEN RNY..I WEIGHED 445 LBS & WAS 55 YRS OLD SO I COULD HAVE BEEN VERY SCARED CONSIDERING MY HIGH WEIGHT & MY AGE...TODAY I WEIGH 300 LBS & ALTHOUGH I AM A SLOW LOSER COMPARED TO OTHER POST OPS I FEEL LIKE A NEW PERSON & I KNOW I CAN LOSE THE REST OF THIS WEIGHT AS I WOULD LOVE TO WEIGH 150 LBS & MAYBE ONE DAY I WILL BUT FOR NOW I AM SATISFIED TO BE OUT OF THE WHEEL CHAIR I HAD TO BE IN EVERY WHERE I HAD TO DO ANY WALKING & THEN I HAD TO USE A WALKER AS I GOT LITTLER & NOW I USE A CANE BECAUSE I NEED KNEE REPLACMENTS..LIFE HAS CHANGED IMMENSELY FOR ME & I KNOW YOU'LL NEVER REGRET THIS SURGERY...
dlkeehn
on 8/30/04 8:20 am - Prattville, AL
Yolanda, Don't be afraid to ask for help and support that's what this board is for assurance from those that have been through the surgery and can offer their opinions and their viewpoint. I don't regret having the surgery at all, I had Lap RNY March 11, 2003 and have lost 136 lbs to date and 130 inches all over I even lost an inch in my head?? I feel so much better I weighed 290 lbs and was 46 years old when I had the surgery. I'm really not a good example I guess on the pain thing, because I had a shot when I came out of the recovery room and I never took any other pain medications at all. The worst thing was the gas you have when they do any type of surgery like that. But it helps tremendously to walk my Dr. had me up walking within 3 hours after surgery so the more you can get up and walk the hall it will help. I also didn't have any health problems YET. The only advice I can give is to check your Dr. out thouroughly make sure he does after care, talk to other patients of his, look him up on this board and do your research you want someone that's going to take care of you if you did happen to have a problem afterwards and someone that will be there for you no matter how minor it may be to him but for you he will calm your nerves because he cares. Take care and will keep you in our prayers.
rosegarden
on 9/14/05 4:41 am - Sumter, SC
Yolanda, This surgery is the best thing I have ever done. When I had surgery March 6, 2003 I weighed 313 lbs. I have lost 120 lbs. The last year I have had some tough times as I have been through a divorce and moved to a new state but I am still so glad I did it. Still need to loose about 50 lbs but I am determined to do it. Hang in there. Shop for the best Dr. you can find. My Dr. in Indiana was super. The best in the state (Dr. Huse). He has a great support program and that is important. You need a good support program at home. If you have a spouse it would help if your spouse will support you but if your spouse won't support you do it anyway. This is for you and no one else. Good Luck rosegarden 3/6/2003 -120 lbs
Most Active
Recent Topics
10th Anniversary!
Naomi G. · 0 replies · 617 views
Six Year Anniversary
summewe · 1 replies · 1655 views
Happy New Year
bjsmumniki · 0 replies · 652 views
5 Yrs Post OP Tomorrow!
Dayanara A. · 1 replies · 711 views