Question??

BullDog Lady
on 6/2/06 6:13 am - Somewhere GREAT!
Forgive me......I know there is not such thing as a stupid question...but I feel a lil awkward about asking anyway so here it goes. Have any of you ever found that since WLS you are more thirsty than you were before Surgery? I find that during the summer I want to drink and drink and drink to the point I worry maybe I am doing something wrong or just maybe it is my body telling me something...or heck maybe it is just some side effect of WLS and being summertime and higher temps. Thanks for listening. Becky
SherylDee
on 6/2/06 10:17 am - Cranbury, NJ
in my experience I never was thirsty and I still am not thirsty... I wish I would be I don't take in as much water as I should. Sometimes I get so busy at work that I don't drink for hours. It became a joke that I can have a 16oz glass of iced tea and it will still be there at the end of the day. I need to start drinking even if I am not thirsty. I do also have a problem with swallowing it properly that is why it feels like a chore sometimes to drink. The more you drink I belive their is no wrong with doing it, but you may want to check into it.. The one thing I noticed is that I my body is always cold and my hands always frozen, my primary doctor told me to start taking vitamin E. I will try it. Be well and drink up!!! Sheryl
on 6/7/06 7:38 am - baltimore, MD
Hey there! I drink at least 120 oz a day, and that doesn't count my hot teas. I'm 3/4 of the way into my day and I've already had a total of 136 oz of water. I find that it keeps me from feeling hungry. Not to mention it also keeps me regular. I love it. Faith 350/197/175
Toni M
on 6/5/06 1:44 am - Gallatin, TN
Drinking more water is fine as long as you are taking all your suppliments. Some nutrients are water soluable and will be washed out of your system if you drink too much right after taking them. Also, if you drink too soon after eating a meal, you will empty your pouch which can leave you feeling hungry sooner than you otherwise would. Check with your doctor but you can probably safely drink up to 120 oz a day.
meeshaphrenic
on 6/5/06 11:04 am - Greensboro, NC
i have the same thing going on, my guess is b/c before surgery i ate more so i got more hydration from foods. that and i've learned the difference between hunger and thirst, something i had a problem with pre-op.
Kat C
on 6/18/06 1:45 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
Hi Becky, I hear you! I find I'm often thirsty these days, especially in warmer weather. I was told that the removal of the stomach area and some intestine meant that our surface area for processing water was much reduced, hence the need for constant vigilence over hydration. If I am the slightest bit slack on liquids, I get painfully constipated, and I get headachey. 64 oz/day is minimum for me. And! I can't drink cold water. Makes my pouch spasm. It didn't do that the first 6 mos, but it has been since that point till now. I have to drink my water room temp, and even then, on an empty stomach, my pouch revolts over water. I went several months (thank God it was cold weather) drinking only hot stuff, decaf teas & coffees, sf hot cocoa, anything I could have warm. Or cold stuff, just no****er. My pouch only complains if it's plain old cold water! Weird. Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth. Drink up, girl! Kathy
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 545 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 638 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 558 views