March 4th Date...Pre-surgery requirements

ntredmfn
on 2/20/05 11:13 pm - Flower Mound, TX
It is very interesting to me the various pre-op requirements that we all are getting from our surgeons. No two sound the same. Personally, my surgeon didn't say anything about my diet leading up to surgery, except that I am to eat "soft foods" two days before, and clear liquids the day before. Nothing about losing weight or no carbs for several weeks before hand. My biggest concern right now is the psychological impact of losing my "best friend" - food - after the surgery. I have really tried to put it out of my mind for now, I haven't been gourging on anything, but I do give it a passing thought that this might be the last time I am eating a particular food. I have just been living my life like normal, and will show up on the 4th for surgery. I am a little surprised at my lack of nervousness, but I have prayed many times over this decision and am at piece with it. I am very busy at work and the time just seems to be flying. I have ordered some protein and chewable vitamins that are supposed to arrive today, so I will begin taking them and trying out some protein drinks. My wife and I know my personality and therefore know what I will be like those first weeks after surgery: I will be an angry, short-tempered, bitter person until I start to see results and can focus on the positives. She is convinced that I need to attend the support group that my doctor has for his patients and she is going to drag me there. I am sure I will enjoy it and get a lot out of it, but I am not a social person, and the thought of walking into a room with a bunch of people I don't know sounds worse to me than the surgery! Oh well, just some thoughts I have now that I am 11 days out from surgery. Does anyone else have some of the same feelings? I am just concerned that I am NOT worrying about it more and that it is going to be like getting hit with a bus when I wake up from surgery!
biloximom2001
on 2/21/05 12:55 am - Biloxi, MS
Hi Chris, I am 8 days away from surgery and have some of the same feelings that you do. I don't really consider food my best friend or anything but I have been thinking about "is this the last time I will ever eat a piece of pie?" and things like that. As for the preop diet, I did not get any preop diet instructions. I can not eat or drink anything the day before but that is due to all the tests that they are running on that day for my pre-admission stuff. (Bloodwork, xrays, etc). That is all I was told. Hmmmm..... The support groups are wonderful. Even if you aren't the "social butterfly" just sitting there and listening to other peoples stories or seeing their results is so motivational. I have met several people that were my size a year ago and have reached their goal weight now. That is VERY motivational to think that I could be just like them, from a size 20 to a size 3 by this time next year!! It is different to see these people in person than to look at the before and after pics on here. It is just great to see how everyone has achieved success and how I will be on the "losing" side very soon. Best of Luck with your surgery! I will be praying for you and everyone else that is a March baby now! Rhonda Biloxi, MS Surgery Date 03/01/05
lillbitofsin
on 2/21/05 8:24 pm - East Stroudsburg, PA
Hi Chris, I go in on 3/16 and can so relate to what your feeling. I am also worried that emotionally I wont be able to handle the food changes. Its not a constant thing and I look forward to food NOT controlling me. I look forward to eating breakfast and not thinking about what to make for dinner until dinner. I am also just like you with people that I dont know. I go into a total anxioty (spelling) attack when I have to meet anyone that I dont know. Especially in large groups. I am very uncomfortable speaking to people I dont know and it takes me a long time to feel adewuate enough to voice my opinions in front of a large group. My friends think I am very outgoing and fun to be around and in truth I am but thats because the awkward stage is over with all of them. They have now seen me completely change if even 1 person I dont know is in the room. I definately feel the same way that having to get around a lot of people is scarier than the surgery itself. Please know that your not the only one feeling this way. Your in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you the best...... P.s. My hubby and parents say I am going to be a real B***H postop.... so hang in there your not alone
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 548 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 639 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 559 views