Help!!! Food Issues

emmyc3
on 4/3/06 8:15 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Hi, my name is Emily and I'm having a lot of difficulty. I'm so afraid that I'm going in the wrong direction. I'm a year out and I've only lost 125 pounds. Lately I've been eating things that I know I shouldn't eat because they are all the wrong things I ate before surgery. Every time I think about it I just cry. I can't go backwards but I feel so out of control and I feel alone because I'm so embarrased that this is happening. I haven't been able to work out for the last 4 weeks because I had a hernia and had surgery and I'm healing very slowly. I don't want to screw this up, but I feel like I'm loosing to the junk food again. Does anyone understand what I'm saying or can anyone help me. I'm desperate and I still have about 75 pounds to loose, so I don't want to gain any weight that I've already lost. I need suggestions, advice, direction, connections, etc..... Please, Please, Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
javafiend
on 4/3/06 4:13 pm - Lebanon, TN
Emily...first of all-RELAX. Everyone slips once in a while, comfort foods from before don't stop being comfort foods because you had surgery. Then that darned cycle starts again-the one where you eat something, then beat yourself up for being out of control, lacking willpower, "whats wrong with me", etc. (feel free to insert whatever negative dialogue runs thru your brain when you eat the wrong thing-personally I think terrible thoughts about myself, calling myself worthless, a loser, and on and on.)After you finish berating yourself-what do you do? Well, just an experienced guess here, but...you run for food. Unhealthy food, fattening food-empty calories. So stop beating yourself up-everyone makes mistakes. Next, take back control of your life. You went thru a LOT to even have the surgery, then you went thru even more post op, right? You have come a long way. You CAN beat this. Okay? Okay. Now, go thru the house and throw away anything that you eat that makes you feel guilty. Yes, it is a waste of money-but nothing compared to the money spent for your WLS, right? Good. Then, make copies of before pictures-put one on the fridge, one inside your cabinet door where the snacks are kept and one in your purse. Next time you go to the grocery store make a list first-stick to the list-if you feel yourself waivering near the HOHO's pull out your before picture and set it in the front of the cart as you move on to the produce section. Buy foods that are healthy, but also buy some good for you grab and go foods. (I love South beach cereal bars-10g protein and 100 cals-yummy!) Buy non perishable good for you things to keep in the car-nuts, jerky, whatever. Lastly, figure out a mantra that works for you-everytime you are in front of a mirror look at yourself and say it-no matter how foolish you feel at first, it does work. I have been using, "I control my life, food is fuel to my body and nothing more. I am stronger healthier and better looking than I have been in 15 years and I AM WORTH IT." Emily, you are worth it too! Good luck, Becky R
emmyc3
on 4/10/06 3:45 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Becky thanks for your words of encouragement and your great advice. I do enjoy the South Beach Protein Bars and plan on going out and purchasing some today. I've gone back to making sure I get in my protein and vitamins. I started back at the gym working out on Saturday and I'm feeling pretty good about things. I'm determined to stay away from junk food. I can't afford to erase all the good I've done so far. today. Thanks, Emily
Kat C
on 4/4/06 1:15 am - Tuscaloosa, AL
Hi Emily, I want to encourage you to truly appreciate and be proud of what you have accomplished in the past year. "Only lost 125 pounds"? ONLY? Girl, YOU HAVE LOST ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY-FIVE POUNDS! WOOOO-HOOOOOOOOOOO!!! If you want to keep it off, you have to acknowledge that you've lost it in the first place, right? So embrace it and claim it. You have done a big thing this year! Now, going forward, I hear you! I have another 50 to go to goal, and it's definitely getting harder to stay on track. Being restricted from working out makes it a double whammy. I don't have any magic words, wish I did! But I'm rooting for you. You already know what healthy eating is like for you now, right? You know that a steady diet of junk food will take you back to gaining weight. MODERATION is what I would urge you to consider. There are no BAD FOODS, only bad habits with food, I like to say. If it's a trigger food, stay away. If it's something you can enjoy in moderation from time to time, enjoy it in moderation, and don't feel bad about it for a single second! You've taken a big step coming here for encouragement. HANG IN THERE! Love, Kathy
emmyc3
on 4/10/06 3:48 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Your words are very encouraging. Keep up the good work and I know you'll loose those last 50 pounds just as I'm going to loose my last pounds. It just gets frustrating and scary at the same time. I have gone back to making sure I take in the protein and avoid the junk. I also back to working out and that makes me feel great. Thanks, Emily
jannywanny
on 4/7/06 8:39 am - oakdale, CA
Oh my god do I know what your saying!! I am 13 months out and have only lost 86pds and I need to lose 12 more pounds and this is the hardest We need to get back on track and remember what we were told THIS IS ONLY A TOOL.........So use it wisley and I feel like a failure.BUT we can do it just start tommorrow and make sure you go back to the basic......Best of luck to you!! Janice
emmyc3
on 4/10/06 3:52 am - Pittsgrove, NJ
Janice It's great to hear from someone who is experincing what I'm going through right now. I'm sure that we can both make it through this. It's just going to take us making a decision to be disciplined and determined. I'm ready are you? Be encouraged and take the first step now!!! I've gotten back into making sure I get in my protein, vitamins and exercise. I have no choice but to do this, I can't through away this great God-given chance to be healthy. Hang-in there you can make it. Emily
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 545 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 637 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 558 views