Checking in from Gallatin, TN

Toni M
on 4/8/06 9:57 am - Gallatin, TN
Yesterday was a very scary day here in Gallatin. At about 2:19 my son was sitting in the recliner and looked out the patio door and asked "Mom, what's that?" It was the tornado, in my front yard! I called my Mom to tell her a funnel cloud was headed her way as we ran to the bathroom and hopped in the tub until it got quiet. We then ran outside to see if it hit any of the buildings around us and we saw it moving away, getting larger and darker as it went. A few minutes later my Mom called me back to say it came through her backyard and lifted up and crossed the road about three houses down from her then crossed the river. They lost some trees but no damage to the house. Some of our friends and neighbors were not as lucky, some of them have damage but the house is still standing. Others have lost everything. As far as I am able to tell, no one that I know personally was seriously injured or killed. I do know that at least seven bodies have been recovered from the wreckage. Had the storm hit later in the day I know the loss of life would have been much greater. WE are counting our blessings. Toni
corgimom
on 4/8/06 1:16 pm - Memphis, TN
Toni, Glad to hear you are okay. The storm passed through Memphis at about 11:30. We didn't have any tornadoes touch down though, just some hail and a big downpour. I have seen my share of tornadoes in the past and know it is pretty frightening. I feel for those who have lost their homes and loved ones. corgimom
BeckyKyles
on 4/9/06 7:21 am - Houston, TX
My goodness, that sounds so scary. I haven't seen a tornado since I was in grade school in Arkansas, but I remember how frightening it was. I glad to see that all is well at your house and with your family. I can't imagine what it would feel like to see one in my backyard or anywhere near my house. Becky
Susie~~~
on 4/14/06 12:42 pm - Lebanon, TN
Sorry to be so long in writing this... I was glad to hear you were okay. What a day for everyone there! If it had shifted just a bit, it would have been us! I'm glad it wasn't any worse than what it was and especially that you all are okay! Love ya! Susie
Most Active
Recent Topics
11 Years
Therese L · 0 replies · 460 views
checking in- 10 years out!
Therese L · 3 replies · 545 views
Checking in -9 year anniversary
Therese L · 1 replies · 637 views
nine years today
Ruby R. · 0 replies · 558 views