Cross addiction - How is everyone?

Larakatya
on 2/1/10 1:19 am - Twin Cities, MN
Every day it seems I hear of another friend who is suffering with wicked cross addiction as a Post-op.  Yesterday I lost a friend who had her surgery very close to me.  Our addiction to food is a real addiction, that would have killed us if we hadn't taken the measures we did.But it doesn't go away ever, and can only be kept at bay through support and a program of recovery.  I'm not the cheerleader for this surgery that I once was but its not the surgery's fault. It is just one tool in our arsenel that makes a long healthy life possible. 

Does anyone here relate? How are my fellow April Fools doing?  Have you experienced this - either personally or someone you love?  No judgement, just honest fear and hope for health and wholeness for all my friends.  
There but for the grace of god go I. 

DianneW
on 2/5/10 4:09 am - Louisville, KY
I've gained a lot of weight.  I'm up to 195, from my lowest at 125.  I was to skinny at 125.  Around 150 was ideal.  I started taking some medication for depression and it really added the weight.  I have started exercising and the gaining has stopped, but I'm not loosing.  It's hard. 
Rachelq
on 4/26/10 12:44 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
Well howdy Lara!

Ah cross addiction. I live post op very cognizant of the possibility. For me, binge drinking is my vice. I don't know how alcohol will affect me from one time to another. Well there are times when I've gone WAY passed too much before I even knew what hit me. Yet I continue to give it another go...and another...and another.

So, recently, I decided to start living with out it. I figure if the urge to drink is so great that I can't commit to that plan...then I need to look for additional help.

Was doing well up to this weekend...my niece’s bridal shower. Guess the champagne game. Not a lot of people in attendance so I felt compelled to join in. I'm happy to say I only drink 5 finger fulls of champagne and stopped there and have had no desire to drink since.

Time will tell. And you...how are you holding up?
Rachelq
on 4/26/10 12:51 pm - Laguna Niguel, CA
RNY on 04/27/04 with
I also wanted to add that I'm sorry for your loss and for your friends family.

I can't say I've ever been a big cheerleader for this surgery. It is such a personal decision (especially when the possiblity of death is on the line). I lost a friend who cross addicted to pain meds.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 472 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 728 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 672 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 747 views