I got a date, but...

angiemasters
on 2/26/04 11:19 am - Royal Oak, MI
Hi, all -- Please forgive my ramblings, but I need to vent about this. I got a call, today, from the surgeon's office, saying that they submitted my info to my insurer on 2/10 and that they had not yet received an answer. They also told me to "bug" BCBS, to speed things along. This was a bit of a surprise to me, as I had never been given an official surgery date. I was told it was scheduled for April 9 (Good Friday). I was thrilled to have a date; but, I was a little bit anxious about the lack of "approval" from BCBS. So, I took out my trusty card and read the teeny tiny little number on the back and called BCBS. I was told (rather abruptly) that they no longer "do pre-auth letters, for about 2 years, now." Well, I kinda already knew that; but, I explained that my surgeon's office had submitted the info and that I was calling to check on my status. Once again, abruptly, I was told that this was not something that was done and that the surgeon's office should know that. OK, so I asked what my options were. I was given every financial detail that I could ever want, with regard to how much I've paid in co-pays and deductibles (like I wasn't already painfully aware of all this) and that other claims had not been touched, yet. Lovely. So, I hung up the phone and panicked. Now, having a hundred extra pounds on me, I don't think it's advisable to get the old ticker racing, for any reason (except maybe romance ), so I calmed down and called the surgeon's office. The lady with whom I spoke could have given the rep at BCBS a lesson in courtesy: she very nicely told me that BCBS was playing a game and that what I needed was not, in fact, pre-authorization, but rather pre-determination. Whatever!! The dear lady (bless her heart) sensed my obvious distress and told me that she would call BCBS and find out what was up. So, I'm nervous and a bit angry with my insurer - I mean, aren't they being paid BIG BUCKS to manage my health? So, at the very least, shouldn't they be nice to me and not rude? Mean people suck. But, in any case, hey, I got a date!!! Thanks for letting me blow off steam!
Erin C.
on 2/28/04 4:37 am - Evanston, IL
Hi. Your situation sounds familiar. You are lucky that your surgeons office called the insurance company for you. Mine wouldnt. They actually were rather snotty about it, which has given me a good amount of stress. I am lucky that my husband used to work in Insurance and he helped me get to the proper person, and the insurance companies do not make it easy to talk to a human, and after several months I finally got my predetermination letter. I am scheduled for April 2. Good luck to you.
Leslie M.
on 2/28/04 11:04 pm - Jacksonville, FL
RNY on 04/05/04 with
Hello, After reading your message, I felt the need to reply... I also have BCBS, I never had to experiance the bad attitudes, and nasty behavior from anyone there. I'm not sure why they told you that they dont give pre-authorization letters... I received mine on Jan. 29th. But I have BCBS of ALA. maybe that is a differance. Im glad you got your date and hope everything goes well for you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
weight gain
merrillg · 0 replies · 477 views
9 years and counting
Pegtrala · 2 replies · 731 views
lap band
vixxen36 · 0 replies · 676 views
8 years out
feelinggreat · 0 replies · 750 views