is anyone else mourning food?

Tamilynn
on 3/15/09 8:13 am
i read this everywhere... i know that eventualy i will be able to eat normally... but i cant help it...

everthing i eat i think "this could be the last time i eat this....

i went out tonight and picked up gyros cuz who knows when and if i will ever be able to eat them again...

i knew i had a problem with food, but i didnt know it had this much control over me. I find myself walking through the grocery picking up things to have "one last time"

I start my liquid diet April 1st and then surgery april 8th.

April needs to hurry up and come cause i feel like i will GAIN just in anticipation.
KCowden
on 3/15/09 1:03 pm
I know exactly what you are talking about.  Found out about my surgery date last week and you would have thought this was my last weekend of life.  Strangely enough though as I ate different things that I was concerned about ever having again, I found that I really wasn't that thrilled over them after all.  I have been on a pretty strict diet since January 1 so I thought this was my chance before the 2-week liquid diet starting the 24th. 
Tamilynn
on 3/15/09 1:18 pm
Crazy I hear what u r saying. I had cheese with crackers as a snack tonight that in the grocery store called to me as a last supper item. Well it wasn't that great. It is sooo in my head because after I had one taste I know I could have gone without
dawnhouse
on 3/16/09 7:36 am - Panama City, FL
I'm with both of you!  I know I've gained at least 5 pounds since receiving my surgery date!  I keep making the excuse that I need that piece of chocolate cake because I'll never be able to eat it again.  Or the Girl Scout cookies, the bacon, etc.  So, I've made a commitment to myself to start a low-fat diet tomorrow, exactly 1 month before surgery, so that when I start my liquid diet 1 week before surgery, I won't have such a tough time with cravings.  Or so I'm hoping!  Good luck to all of us!  Ladies, no more of this... 

KissTheSky
on 3/22/09 1:57 pm, edited 3/22/09 1:59 pm - Narara, Australia
VSG on 04/15/09 with
My surgeon warned me about this and then gave me an even sturner waning. :(

He calls this phase 'The Last Supper" and said...if you gain weight, I won't do the proceedure as you will be higher risk. That was that. I was a little surprised, but it sure has motivated me.

He then put me on a liquid diet for 4 weeks prior to surgery..... It's not so bad, and I am breaking those habits day by day...it's hard work so I'd rater do it pre surgery than after.

That all said...when i decided to have surgery 3 years ago...i did just what your talking about..I ate and ate and ate......and gained so much weight and ended up not having the surgery. LOL!

I can relate to what your all saying, but this time.....I am all over it......my surgeon wants me to reduce the fat deposits around my liver and stomach as recovery is faster.

i'm now dealing with what I call 'head talk' or 'head hunger" and it's an inner dialog that encourages me to eat or 'why bother'. It's quite an amazing journey....this is not us v's food I realise. This is clearly body v's mind.

If you can, start your liquid progress weeks pre surgery so you have come to terms with some of it pre surgury. I figure we will all have enough to handle after surgery with managing how we handle our new stomachs, without having to deal with the first couple of weeks of head hunger as well.

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/09 3:14 pm - Wynantskill, NY
It's just so crazy the way our minds work. I LOVE food and it is going to be tough to leave it behind. I keep thinking that I want to have a " Last supper" and eat my favorite things. Oh god, where would that end? As I consider a lot of foods to be my favorite things!!!! Oh, and a margaritta, I must remember to have one of those, it's been awhile and it looks like it's going to be quite awhile before I enjoy another one. Just remember friends, nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. (I hope!!!) LOL
KissTheSky
on 3/23/09 4:39 pm - Narara, Australia
VSG on 04/15/09 with
I guess we ave to remind ourselves that noting could ever taste as nice as it will feel to lose this weight.

I find being this weight to be nothing short of hell..... and my relationship with food to be disturbing. i am feeling more in control already. i don't want food to rule my life...it's not been that good to me to deserve my loyalty or my life actually!

i figure I'm going to use it to my advantage now!
LittleGrizz
on 4/11/09 9:36 am - Clarence, IA
I'm so starved also !!!! My wife said Tue. night my daughter is coming up to stay with the dogs on Wed. That's my surgery day. She asked if I would go and get them PIZZA. I said h_ll no. I would have it ate before it got home!
Most Active
Recent Topics
strugling
windchimes · 2 replies · 727 views
Surgiversary Updates
Sephia · 2 replies · 879 views
April 13, 2009 people...
MelissaKM · 1 replies · 765 views
Stopped Losing Weight
free2bethin · 4 replies · 1293 views