April 20,2009

newbea46
on 3/18/09 3:27 pm - Hanover Park, IL
I am scheduled for surgery and am excited but nervous, of course.  I haven"t been able to lose weight pre-op but gain.  Any suggestions?  Unfortunately, my health has made me resort to taking steroids for my asthma which has contributed to the weight gain.  It just gets me down.

christyt3
on 3/19/09 7:31 am - Kirksville, MO

Congratulations!  Most of us have to do a 1-2 week pre-op liquid diet.  Did your surgeon/dietitian talk to you about that yet?  I have only lost 8 # over the last 6 months, but there is no way to NOT lose on 3 cans of Slim Fast and the rest clear liquids for 2 weeks!  Which surgery are you having?

289            268              218          150
               High         Surgery          Current        Goal

newbea46
on 3/19/09 9:32 am - Hanover Park, IL

Thanks for the support! I am scheduled for Lap. RNY.   Yes, I have talked to the dietician about the pre-op diet,  I will be needing to drink 2 IMPACT ADVANCED RECOVERY shakes daily for 7 days pre-op then clear liquids on the final pre-op day. My goal is to lose some weight pre-op but it doesn't look good,  Just have to take it one day at a time.     

hotmama2b
on 3/19/09 3:21 pm
I could only lose a few pounds also during my whole pre op phase, I had to change doctors to actually get my surgery scheduled.  I'm now set for April 13, and I can't wait to start my new life without being hungry  all the time!  Don't get too down, it will all change very soon!
Tamilynn
on 3/21/09 1:54 am
sweetie you are not alone... i have GAINED 5 pounds since i got my date... i think i am eating out of anxiety and for fear i might never eat certian foods again... our days in these unhealthy chains are numbered!
newbea46
on 3/21/09 2:57 pm - Hanover Park, IL
Thanks for the support.  It's one month until the big day and I am probably doing just what you said:  eating out of anxiety and for fear that I might never eat certain foods again.  I have to say though, some of my co-workers have had the same surgery and are eating a lot of the foods they had pre-op but you have to be careful to not fall into the same bad habits and eating foods that really aren't nutritious.  Wr can do it if we put our minds to it!!!!!!!!!!!!

wombat
on 3/25/09 10:12 pm - Australia
My surgery date is 20 April as well.  My dietician wants me to do two weeks liquid diet (Optifast, a VLC medical shake).

Ain't that gonna be fun over Easter.  No Red Tulip Bunny rabbits:(  Whenever I think like that I tell myself "suck it up princess".  I want this surgery and no amount of red Tulip chocolate bunnies could drag me away from it!

Don't forget that excercise helps to shrink your liver and make you better prepared for surgery as well, so try walking for half an hour a day if you can.

newbea46
on 3/26/09 3:05 pm - Hanover Park, IL
Thanks for the tips and support.  My pre-op diet is for 8 days only so Easter will be my last meal.  I have liquids in the form of medical shakes for 2 meals per day.  We can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I saw my lung doctor today and he doesn't know if I'll be ready for surgery because I have a bad sinus infection that has made my asthma worse.  My primary doc was more positive.  I think I'll stick with the positive

bleau
on 3/31/09 7:40 pm
RNY on 04/20/09 with
i guess i am lucky i only need to do 3 days of liquid diet my surgery is also on the 20Th i know about the sinus infections and the asthma. i have both on top of that i have diabeities so i have tried to stay away from the steroids because the last time they sent my sugars up to 500
i have to go for a stress test and my primary doesn't want me to run on the tread mill because he is worried about aflair up did you have this same problem are you getting nervous i know i am i also understand about the feeling of never getting to eat certain foods ever again
Most Active
Recent Topics
strugling
windchimes · 2 replies · 727 views
Surgiversary Updates
Sephia · 2 replies · 879 views
April 13, 2009 people...
MelissaKM · 1 replies · 765 views
Stopped Losing Weight
free2bethin · 4 replies · 1293 views