April 14

Mary162
on 3/21/09 2:17 pm
Well my surgery is to be on April 14th.  I am to have Roux-en Y (RNY).  I've checked around and am wondering is a Duodenal Switch (DS) would be better for me.  It looks like with the DS, regaining weight is practically not possible.  DS is a more risky surgery than RNY.  I have had 4+ decades of bad eating habits.  I am wondering if I can change my eating habits enough to make RNY a success.  Sigh.  Any of you have any thoughts on the RNY vs. the DS?  I know if I switch surgeries, it will be many more months before insurance approves me for a new surgery.

"Marriage must constantly fight against a monster which devours everything:  routine."  ~Honore de Balzac

Tamilynn
on 3/22/09 1:05 am
congrats on the surgery! i too have thought about the DS. My insurance would have covered it but i did not find a doc on long island that would have performed it. I would have had to go to nyc. After reasearching i think i would still have gone with the RNY. Mainly because of the malabsortion factor. With Rny you have to follow a strict vitamin regimin and with DS it is more important 10 fold. I think i would be too nervous that DS would / could cause me health problems in itself in the long run. I guess i figured that RNY is somewhere in the middle and thats what feels right for me. I think that reguardless of what surgery we choose we will still have bad habits to break.. its gonna be a hard road but we can do it.....
Most Active
Recent Topics
strugling
windchimes · 2 replies · 727 views
Surgiversary Updates
Sephia · 2 replies · 879 views
April 13, 2009 people...
MelissaKM · 1 replies · 765 views
Stopped Losing Weight
free2bethin · 4 replies · 1293 views