LRNY 4/30... Slow weight loss normal??

tina_trevino
on 5/11/09 3:21 pm - houston, TX
Hi, everyone!  I am a newbie here, so I spologize for any rules I may be ignorantly breaking in this post.  I had laproscopic RNY on April 30th.  I am almost 2 weeks out and I feel... normal? A little tired.  I can take in quite a bit, although I do find myself ALMOST taking gulps of whatever I drink, out of habit, and if I swallow too much it does hurt.  I am HUNGRY.. OMG am I hungry.  I am still suppose to be on a liquid diet until my post-op appt on Weds.  But I ate half a filet of baked fish yesterday.  I stopped myself..but didn't get any physical warnings.  Today I ate 6 round crackers with a bit of pb between them, 3 "sandwiches" total.  I don't feel like I have anything in my tummy.  I try to drink my protein, atleast 40-50g a day, but it's getting tough to get those shakes in, they taste crappy now.. I weighed 273 the night before my surgery and today, 12 days out, I have lost 11lbs.  It seems like the scale is baaarely moving!  I am in touch with a girl who had surgery 2 days before me and she has lost 21lbs... aaand she is also eating crazy stuff like baked potato with butter and cheese and chicken strips. I eat everything right, until the past 2 days like I mentioned.  I walk everyday, 30 mins around the neighborhood, which is sufficient for me at my pretty much non-existent fitness level.  Is this normal?  I am probably just overreacting, but I'm quite frustrated and very concerned that I may have done all this for nothing.  Also my hubby's scheduled for his surgery on 6/11,,  Any input would be soooo wonderful- did anyone have slow initial weight-loss? 
1Chica
on 5/14/09 5:19 am

Hi Tina!
I too am a newbie and don't know what the rules are either and don't know the lingo either.
CONGRATULATIONS! on your choice to LapBand yourself.  I too had it done on 4/16 and today I am 4 weeks post op.

Yes, I have to remind myself to NOT chug my water down and sip it only otherwise I am hurting.  I was very hungry on my 2nd week and told Dr. Jay about that on the first support group meeting I had last week.  He didn't say much about it just said that as long as I didn't vomit so I guess it was ok for me to eat more than just pureed foods.  i also called his office before the support group and they said that since the swelling went down it's normal to feel hungry but i was like you... very hungry.    I skipped the puree.  I did see one of his doctors at 2 wks post op and she gave me the go ahead on tuna/chicken salad with light mayo and I devoured that all day!  got a little sick but now I really don't have a lot of yearning for soft foods.   before my 3rd week was up i was eating soft soft brisket and potatoe salad.  was heavy but didn't need anymore.  now, i just concentrate on baked fish, mashed potatoes, cream of wheat, pudding etc.  the soft stuff......  I was afraid to mess things up so i'm back on protein drinks but really can't handle it much like i did in the first 3 weeks.   i'm planning to make my own protein drinks.  they say that before you get your first fill you MIGHT gain some weight otherwise you should be losing 1 to 2 pounds a week.    i dont have a scale yet so i don't know what i weigh but i was at 273 before liquid diet preparation and lost 10 pds then 1 week after surgery lost another 10 pounds.... now i feel i might have gained at least 5 to 8 pounds.  i don't walk but am trying to make myself DO IT! -   I can't wait for my first fill.  that should help me eat less and hopefully loose....   i do however know that i don't eat much the same or as much as i used to so i know this is still helping me as a tool to not go too far.  i've dropped the water level so now I've got to go back on sipping water, vitamin water and walk!    just weigh yourself once a week and make a note of it.  they do say that protein creates more muscle and that is ok because you can still lose inches.   i went on and on sorry about that but i hope this sort of helps because believe me i was there!

Abby
273/253??/140
5/14/09

KCowden
on 5/14/09 11:10 am

Did you not get guidance from your nutritionist? Mine have been very specific about liquids, then pureed, then soft, then soft/firm, then not regular food until 3 months out.  REMEMBER until about 6 weeks out  or later you cannot feel whether you are full.  Your nerves where cut during the surgery and have not healed back yet.  Do not overeat in portions size.  I am six weeks out and am very careful of not consuming more than 3-4 oz at a time, less if it is firmer food. Even though you cannot feel that you are full, you probably are overly full.  Don't wait for your pouch to reject it (throw up).  Good luck and take it easy - we all have a lot of learning to do after this lifetime change. 

canadiandiva72
on 5/17/09 3:24 am - Leamington, Canada
I had LRNY on 4/27 and my doctor has a very specific diet to follow.  I am almost 3 weeks post op and I am on a full fluids diet whi*****ludes yogurt, pudding, low fat cream soup, broth, popsicles,  jello, water, clear juice, nothing with sugar or fat and that is until next weekend, and then I will be on puree foods.  I also only eat 3-4 oz of food/liquid per hour.  I have lost 43 lb in 4 1/2 weeks (including the 2 weeks of liquid diet before surgery).  Good luck :)

Magyargal
on 6/1/09 1:21 pm
I'm sorry to say but you really need to talk to your surgeon big time and fast!! You are way over eating!!! Please be careful! You have not even healed yet! your pouch does not have feeling yet! you are recovering from surgery..

I am still on full liquid diet, I had my surgery April 27Th. I am now 5 weeks out. I would never chance rupturing my stapes!!! By eating that much and taking gulps of drinks...I can not believe you ate half a fish...2-3 ozs should have been plenty for you at this time. And crackers too with sugary peanut butter?? You are either very brave.. or just don't care that you just had weight lose surgery..Why did you have this surgery if you want to ruin it already?? it really makes no sense to me.. Please I beg you!! To rethink what you are eating and doing. 

I may sound mean to you, but some folks really need a kick in the butt to make them think.. I know I sure would want one, if I were not following the rules... Take care, Please call your surgeon first thing in the morning...Ask them what you should be eating and doing...All the best to you...Alizka

1st goal to be under 200. Done!  2nd goal to be just obese. Third goal is to be under 170 by Thanksgiving 2009. I Pray I can make it. I know the Lord will help me through this.  

L.Trall
on 1/7/10 11:13 pm
I would have to agree with Alizka. If you go too fast, you may cause a leak or worse... I am 3 1/2 weeks out from LRNY and puree is the way to go. I can puree just about everything. I am getting creative too. But I can rarely eat more than five small bites of anything.

Try to blend:
1/2 chicken breast (I throw them in the crock pot a couple times a week)
1/4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
1 scoop unflavored protein
1/4 cup salsa
garlic to taste
Serve over refried beans

It makes a nice flavorful meal, and its full of protein.
L. Trall  

Most Active
Recent Topics
strugling
windchimes · 2 replies · 726 views
Surgiversary Updates
Sephia · 2 replies · 877 views
April 13, 2009 people...
MelissaKM · 1 replies · 763 views
Stopped Losing Weight
free2bethin · 4 replies · 1292 views