Weight ups and downs

Kathy S.
on 3/21/04 6:51 am - Circleville, OH
Hi everyone, I just found this board and enjoy the fact that we are all about on the same time level. I had my surg. on May 27,03. Started at 268, I am 5-3. What I would like to know is, I am weighing between 148 and 151 depending on the day, do any of you have ups and downs like this? I have not changed anything major and still get about the same amount of excerise. When do we know that we are at the weight we will be from now on? I am sure I will ask my surgeon these questions but don't see him again til end of May and can probably get better answers here. Nice to meet you all!! Kathy from Ohio
Dave Z.
on 3/22/04 10:16 am - c, CT
Kathy, It sounds like you are weighing yourself everyday. From what I read this is not recommended. That said, I weigh myself everyday and do have fluctuations from 145 to 148. I think it has to do with water retention and amount of water intake and when it passes through. I also eat pretty much the same things and exercise similarly. The weight loss has slowed but I think I am probably at my goal. Just my 2 cents. Dave lap RNY 5-28-03 Robert Bell, M.D. Yale-New Haven Hosp 274high 264 day fo surgery 145 present ??? goal
Lori F
on 3/22/04 9:36 pm
Kathy, I also weigh everyday. It's been so much fun to watch that little dial go lower and lower since surgery (mine was also on May 27th). I have another reason for weighing daily - my 93 year old Grandmother has weighed daily for most of her adult life on a doctor's scale. She knows immediately if her weight starts creeping up, and can take action. Even if it is "water-weight", she can eat a little less that day. I think that there is a lot of wisdom in that. I wish you the best!! PS( I recently went from Morbidly Obese to "just" Obese!!!!)
netter4
on 3/31/04 7:53 am - Wilmington, IL
Hi there Kathy! Yep! I have the same thing happening, just recently! I started at 264, surgery on 5-9-03. Last month I was at 152 and then like 2 days later it popped up to 155! I have been hovering at like 154-155 for the past 2 1/2 week. I lose in chunks around "that time of the month" so I am waiting for my chunk to fall off this month! It also normally comes right before my monthly anniversary date. I would like to lose 20-25 more pounds before my one year anniversary date, which is a little less than 6 weeks away =C I think it's not happening. If I could get into the 130s, even 139, before my anniversary I would be THRILLED! That is 15 pounds! I have really gotta focus to get there! Good luck to everyone! Jeanette Lap RNY 5-9-03 264/154/132
D. S
on 4/1/04 9:43 pm
I weigh myself every day and sometimes twice a day. I've done this from the beginning and it helps me keep things in perspective. This month I haven't lost anything. I would be so upset if I waited a whole month and then jumped on the scale and saw no progress. I'd rather know ahead of time how things are going. Since I weigh on a daily basis I really can see the fluctuations when I eat salty food. I can gain 8 pounds over night when I have bacon or ham. It all comes back off but it can be frustrating.
WLS_Deb
on 5/24/04 1:30 am - East, Tx
I weigh myself morning and evening when I think about it. I dont sweat the 2lbs that go up and down. From my surgeon he said RnY usually has about 18months of loss then you kinda have the tool more there as the back up and you have the driver seat on weight loss! I have noticed the last month or two im 12months out this month..that I have slowed to about 4lbs or less a month weight loss! How you will tell is if you stay at one weight for more than a month its considered a true Plateau... and after 3-4months you will find it harder to lose weight without more effort! This won't be true for DS and Banders.. just RnY from what I understand. If I wasn't finished with my weight loss NOTHING would stop me from continuing to monitor calories and go for goal even if I was past the 18month period. That just means that its harder ... but its not impossible. Go for the goal and dont give up! Time is on our side forever! deb
Most Active