5/5/09 is my date....having fears of death!!

jillian1980
on 4/18/09 12:18 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Hello everyone...I recently got my surgery date, which is 5/5/09...and im truely excited...however being a single parent of 3, ive been having some anxities about death!! I know soooo many people who have had this surgery and have been fine!! I dont know anyone who has just died because of the surgery....although, im sure there are some people out there who have!  Another part that has me a lil worried is because i have factor V, which basically means im at a higher risk of getting a blood clott...ive never had one, and have had 3 c sections, but that doesnt mean that i wont get one My surgeon is gonna put me on blood thinners but I guess im just worried! But not worried enough to cancel surgery!! Im going to have it no matter what!!  But some input and support  would be nice

Thanks,

Jill
Robin D.
on 4/18/09 1:04 am
I am an RN but I do not work in surgery. I think the biggest risks of surgery besides the surgery itself is the anesthesia. If you or anyone in your family has never had a problem with anesthesia I think you will do great. Have you asked your doc how many surgeries he has completed in the past? Has he ever done one on someone who has the same factor V as you. May be some things you can ask when you complete pre op. I think this surgery is much less risky as it was in the past. It has been a little more "perfected" so to speak. I have read that 20% of patients do have complications but that can range from nausea to death. Before my surgery, I verbally planned my funeral with my husband . You can't take away those "what ifs" because you could have a car wreck tomorrow. I guess that sounds gruesome but you do never know but can plan as much as possible with questions to your doc. Good luck and I will most definitely send prayers and angels your way.

Robin

jillian1980
on 4/18/09 3:15 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Thanks so much for your input! I have had 2 surgeries where i was "put out" but they were when i was under age 10, i got tubes in my ears...and i was fine! And no one in my family had any issues with anesthesia.... My surgeon happens to be one of the best in my area...like almost anyone out in the Buffalo NY area who has had RNY has probobly used him....He has done lots of surgeries and he has infact operated on some people with factor v....my friend actually had surgery performed by him, and at the time she didnt even know she had factor v?? And luckily she was fine!! He said that 2 people who had factor v, did have issues...such as pulmonary embolizms (4give my spelling) BUT he said they happened to be much older and much heavier than me.... He also stated that because of my history with no issues...(3 c sections, and tubal ligation) that he feels with being on blood thinners i will be fine...He cannot guarantee that but his words made me feel more at ease.......I read that the death rate of surgery is .5 to 1.5% ...which is very very low...I also agree with you that the surgery is a lot less risky than it was a few years ago...Well thanks for the prayers and angels...i appreciate that!!!
Alli14ppfk
on 4/18/09 3:09 am - Buffalo, NY
It's normal to have doubts about surgery. My husband actually stopped talking to me for a while before surgery because he though I was being selfish by having the surgery because there was a chance I wouldn't make it out alive. I have a 9 month old and a 3 yr old step daughter at home, the last thing I wanted to make my husband a single dad. My advice to you would ask every question you have, the more informed you are, the more comfrotable you will feel. Do you see a hematologist for the Factor V? If so I would discuss it with him as well, just to have all your bases covered. Dr Caruana will never make you feel like you are a bother for asking questions, I had  appts at Synergy before deciding that I wanted to go through with the surgery. You could also give Lisa a call there, she's been through it herself and it more than willing to help! Let me know if you need anything! You're in my thoughts
Open RNY Gastric Bypass February 16, 2009
Fleur di lis abdominoplasty June 5, 2010
Mastoplexy Scheduled for February 28, 2011

SW 296/Surgeon's Goal 196/My Goal 175    

jillian1980
on 4/18/09 3:24 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Awww thanks so much for your support!!! I dont see a hematologist for the factor v.... My PCP didnt think it was necessary, as ive never had any issues with my blood, and had 3 c sections and my tubes tied without even knowing i had the factor v! He just recommended that i be placed on blood thinners after any major surgery!! The only reason i know is because 1 of my aunts found she had it, and then my mom got tested positive, so me and my sister were tested and both have it also....  Im actually very excited for this surgery and i know im ready for this....But just a lil scared to have any type of issue, that could take me away from my boys!!! But when its your time, its your time...and you can die from anything in your day to day life, and atleast the risk im taking is gonna make me healthier in the long run!!! Thanks again for your support, i appreciate it!
iamfarfaraway
on 4/19/09 7:26 am - Charlotte, NC
Congrats on getting your surgery date, my date is 20 days after your date.  I am sure everything will be fine.  Your surgeon is aware and will take good care of you.  I always stress when I have surgeries.  I have had 1 c-section, open glallbladder and a couple D & C's oh and of course the upper and lower GI I had to have for this surgery and stressed with them all.  I still have a little over a month but once I see my Surgeon on the 7th of May for my pre-op appt I will start really stressing. 

Do you have a liquid diet you need to do before your surgery?  I have a 2 week liquid diet starting May 11th

40 lbs lost pre-op

jillian1980
on 4/20/09 12:28 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Awww thanks sooo much for your support...Im sure i will be fine!!! No i dont have to be on a liquid diet before surgery...just the day before, after lunch start on liquids only??? I wonder why yours is different! Well Best of luck to you with your surgery!!!
tonigirlv
on 4/19/09 8:20 am - South Jersey Shore, NJ
Hi Jill, Your not alone!!   I'm in the exact same boat as you and I am feeling EXACTLY the same......my surgery date is may 11,  I was asked if I wanted May 5, but i got scared and kept it the 11. Now I wi**** was sooner..... I, like you am a single mom and nervous for the same reasons, but for some reason,  my fears aren't enough for me to cancel the surgery.  I am going through these waves of being extememly scared and extrememly excited.  What I'm finding, is surrounding yourself with positive thoughts and people who support your decision.  We are going to be just fine and a few months later, we'll be wishing we did this sooner!!! 

POSITIVE THOUGHTS, THIS IS AN EXCITING TIME FOR US!!!  ONE WE'VE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

Toni
jillian1980
on 4/20/09 12:30 am - Cheektowaga, NY
Thank you so much for your support....Its always nice to talk to someone who is in the same boat as you....I can sit here and think of a few negatives that can happen...but then i can sit here and think of hundreds of positives from this surgery...I think that WE are both making the right decision!!! Make sure you keep me posted on your situation and i will do the same!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1397 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1385 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1261 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1122 views