May 5 Surgery - Protein Shake questions

forwardmotion
on 4/21/09 2:36 pm
This is my first post.  I am set for lap band May 5.  I started my protein shakes today.  I have to say this is hard.  I have always had an aversion to powdered drink mixes so this is a challenge.  I would love suggestions to make them better.  This is just my first day on them so I am learning.  I found out real fast I do not like them really thick.  Threw that up.  Second one was better.  The last two have stayed down.  I just wish I liked them. 
iamfarfaraway
on 4/22/09 4:31 am - Charlotte, NC
Congrats on getting your date, there are lots of receipts for protein drinks I got some from my Dietation see if they have the same thing at your surgeons office.  Other than that I have this link below that this poster has lots on her OH page  http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/3916460/HEY-LOSERS/  

In Nik's signature line you will see where it says click here from protein shake ideas

40 lbs lost pre-op

forwardmotion
on 4/22/09 9:44 am
Thank you for the information.  I will check these out.
ForwardMotion
hollykep
on 4/25/09 3:51 pm - Coppell, TX

I bought Nectar - my surgeon's office had samples - go to BariatricAdvantage.com - in the Fuzzy Navel flavor - mixes just by stirring with ice - it's really good!  Almost like orange juice with a little peach flavor but not as thick!   My surgery date is May 1...yea!

-  Holly

forwardmotion
on 4/26/09 8:44 am
Thanks.  I will check that out.  I have become better at making the shakes and have found I just like them with water and REALLY cold so I put them in the freezer for about 15-20 minutes.  The chocolate is good to me now, the vanilla is okay and I can tolerate the strawberry.  I have lost 10 pounds this week drinking the shakes.  Since I have to do shakes after surgery as well I will check out your recommendation.  Just curious ... what are your dietary requirements after surgery.  How long on liquids, etc.?  May 1 is right around the corner.  Good luck!  I will be a few days later on the 5th.

ForwardMotion
Jilly821
on 4/28/09 9:39 pm
Protein can be hard... my sugery is on the 5th too - and i've been doing the shakes as well.  Some websites offer sample packs so you can try the products before investing a lot of money... I've found several that are a lot better than others.  www.unjury.com has a chicken soup protein that is actually REALLY good - so it makes it easier to tolerate at lunch and dinner - who could ever have chocolate for dinner?

I also like Nectar - they have really good flavor.  I bought a couple small bags from GNC - and they are better than most.  It seems like the more you pay for something, the better it tastes - I started out with the Walmart brand and got really sick of it quickly - but then i branched out and found that the shakes weren't that bad.

Also - if you mix yogurt with it, it will add some good stuff for you, and taste.

I hope this helps!
Jilly K
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Phillipians 4:13

forwardmotion
on 4/29/09 12:13 am
Thanks!  I will check these out - especially the chicken soup protein.  I think the shakes are very sweet.  I am VERY tired of only having sweet to drink!  Good luck on your surgery.  I am excited and ready for mine on May 5.
ForwardMotion
hollykep
on 4/29/09 5:36 pm - Coppell, TX
My surgery date has now changed from May 1 to May 4.  So - MORE shakes.  I will try to find the protein chicken soup.   Can we have yogurt at this stage (liquids only?)  I guess so...I've been eating SF jello.  Looking for something good that's chocolate...a friend gave me some pre-mixed Atkins protein shakes - one was chocolate caramel flavor...it was good!

-  Holly

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1398 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1385 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1261 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1122 views