Over a month now

iamfarfaraway
on 7/1/09 3:05 am - Charlotte, NC
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing.  We are all over 1 month since surgery, how are you doing?  Have you had any food issues?  Are you happy with your weight loss so far?

For me I started soft foods 1.5 weeks ago and have had 3 bad food experiences mainly from not chewing or eating to fast.  Since I lost 40 lbs pre-op I have been losing slower post op but so far I have lost 17 lbs since surgery and am happy with my total loss.

Wishing all of you lots of success on your plan
Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

charlene1
on 7/1/09 5:10 am - Wilmington, NC

Hi Sandy,
Your question is a good one for all of us who had surgery about the same time.  I lost 19 pounds during the month before surgery.  I'm now 6 weeks post op and have lost another 30 pounds for a grand total of 49.  Am I happy with my weight loss so far?  YEAH!!!!  

I've only had 2 bad food experiences and like you I think I may have been eating to fast.  The other problem I've had and still having is getting my fluids and protein in.  I'm never hungry and eat because I have to and I get so busy at work I forget to drink.  I'm trying to do better and still supplementing my diet with protein shakes.  As far as foods, I'm still eating more soft foods but experimenting a little bit but chewing, chewing, chewing.  My surgeon's PA told me everyone progresses differently and if I need to stay on soft or well chopped foods longer to do so.

Exercise is another thing I'm working on.  I've been walking, but am now getting on the treadmill and some weights.  I've always hated exercise and pretty much still do, but it's another thing I have to work at.  I hope I become one of those people who turn into gym addicts.  Not quite sure that will happen, but one can dream. 

Congratulations on your success so far and to everyone else who is on this journey.  We're all in this together.  Here's to us.....

You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be -----David Viscott      
iamfarfaraway
on 7/1/09 9:33 am - Charlotte, NC
Charlene it sounds like your doing great with everything.  Congrats on your success so far.

40 lbs lost pre-op

aphrael
on 7/1/09 6:01 am
Well tomorrow will be 7 weeks out for me.   I am doing pretty well.  I am active for the most part, still on "limited activity" for another week from the doctor.  I managed to get a massive sinus infection a couple weeks ago and that took a lot out of me.  I was getting my exercise up before getting sick and now am starting back where I was. 

I have not had much trouble with food, a few times that I have it has been related to not measuring my food and just trying to guess.  I typically guessed too much and thus got sick.  My pouch didn't like eggs, I might have to try them again.  I also have trouble with reheated seafood.  I tend to try and play it safe and am very cautions about trying new foods.  

Over all I am not happy with my loss so far.  I constantly read about people losing 40+ pounds in the first month or so and I just don't understand how.  It frustrates me and I get very discouraged.  I get my protein in, I get my water in and I am walking, which is all I am cleared to do.  I know everyone loses at their own pace, but it seams that the only people that post are the ones that have the amazing weight losses and the lower end people just hide.  So I feel like a failure.  I have lost a total of 35 since my pre-op diet and only 27 pounds in the past 7 weeks.  I have hit 2 week long or more stalls in that 7 weeks.  it is very discouraging.  I thought being that I have so much to lose I would drop quickly in the beginning.  Such is not the case, I hope once I can exercise more it will come off easier.  

I also wonder about my diet... the nut at my surgeons office is new and very wishy washy so I wonder if I am getting enough calories and protein.  She told me under 600 calories a day, 60-70 grams of protein, saying any more would be wasted calories, and no more than 50 carbs. Part of me thinks this is too low.  She also said I only needed 500mg of calcium a day. 

So this turned into more of a rant/pity party, but this is where I am, and how I am feeling and doing with it all.  So far my results are not what I was hopping for.  I had hopped to be down a few more clothing sizes and have lost more so my back and knees wouldn't hurt so much... sigh give it time I know...

Hope everyone else is doing better :) 

Alegria
on 7/1/09 8:39 am - Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Aphreal,

Don't loose hope, we all seem to get into these funks, and of course we are still very much in the honeymoon phase.  It's ironic that you would feel this way, as today I was thinking the exact same thing.

I can't speak to the RNY, as I have a sleeve, but my surgeon recommends 600-800 cal, 60-70 grams of protein, and 64 to 72 oz of liquids (water) per day.  Limited fat and at this point until I reach the 8 week mark little to no carbs, only limited fruits and veggies.  Then at 8 weeks we can introduce as much of a variety as we choose.

Keep the faith, we've made this life altering decision for a reason, and no matter how quick or slow the weight will come off this time.  Keep doing what you are doing and keep up with the exercise as this will help.

One thing I had to remember is that I've spent the last 20+ years doing the yo-yo diet, and now my body is screaming at me just waiting for me to crash and give in and stop, you know the weak moment when we say I'll start again on Monday, well it's Monday everyday for us now and we need to remain strong.

You can do it, keep up the great work.

Smiles,

Nadine

5'10 ~ HW 333 / SW 319 / CW 223 / Goal 170

iamfarfaraway
on 7/1/09 9:31 am - Charlotte, NC
27 lbs sounds good to me, I think your doing pretty good.  I have lost 17lbs so far and granted I had surgery after you but I still think you ahead of me on the weight loss front.

I have been told that I need to get at least 70g of protein a day but also told the more the better.  Also I have been told at least get 1500g of calcium per day.  Granted we are all on different plans I am sure your weight loss will come in time but again 27 lbs is a great start for one month.

Sandy

40 lbs lost pre-op

EOD WIFE
on 7/1/09 12:04 pm - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
Hey May'ers!

I will be 2 months post~op on the 5th of July and I feel like I am doing great! I am down 45 pounds so far. Not having any issues (knocking on wood) I can walk 2 miles a day & I am exercising  3-4 days a week in addition to walking. I am also starting to do some yoga ( who would of thunk I would be doing all this!!)  I have dumped once (booo!) and thrown up 2 times only because I ate too much. I am enjoying not thinking about food or craving food for the first time in 20+ years. I started out in tight 24's and I am now in loose 18's, thank goodness I have all sizes in my closet! lol
My only regret is not doing this YEARS ago!

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

onyxmann
on 7/2/09 4:00 am - Cary, NC
RNY on 05/18/09 with
Since my surgery date I’m down 42lbs and 4 pant sizes.   If you count the pre-surgery diet, I'm down over 75lbs.  I"ve had 3 issues/dumping.   The first was on the 3rd day home when I drank to much water to fast.  I won't do that again.   As of last week I got the go ahead to start lifting, which is something I’m looking forward too. 
carrvan
on 7/2/09 10:18 am - Ontario, Canada
 Tomorrow will be my 6th week post op. I am down 42 pounds from post-surgery. I am also discouraged reading how others loose so much more. I have to admit though that I do NOT do protein, I have 3 full containers of UNJURY and they make me gag so I shelved them. My surgeon says I am to eat 1/3 of a cup per meal and nothing in between. So I eat things hi in protein. I have been on a two week stall and haven't seen the scale move. Wondering if it is because I am not getting enough protein. Any thoughts?

EOD WIFE
on 7/3/09 6:09 am - Lawton Ft Sill, OK
How much protein are you getting in?
Yes not enough protein will cause a stall, also not enough water. I cant do protein shakes they make me gag too, so I get all my daily protein in my food. I am having no issues gettin 60+ protein a day sometimes more. It takes planning and research to find things that are high in protein that wont cause me to go over in calories.

I  MY RNY 5-5-09    Life is Good
       myxferadd.jpg picture by mikeysbrightstarboobies.gif picture by mikeysbrightstar

Most Active
Recent Topics
anyone on?
losing_it86 · 5 replies · 1398 views
NOTLosing
onyxmann · 5 replies · 1390 views
How is everyone?
EOD WIFE · 3 replies · 1267 views
132lbs gone!
thisxtooxshallxpass · 7 replies · 1125 views