I DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M DOING!

Haleyjaye
on 6/11/08 6:38 am - Plaistow, NH
I don't know how to go abouts the whole surgery. I know I want to do the lap band surgery, but I have no idea where to start! I don't know how to get my foot in the door! I have crappy insurance (cigna and they DO cover it) and I don't know if I should go straight to the surgeon or my primary doctor! If someone doesn't mind maybe helping me get my feet on the ground...that would be a blessing! thank yOU!
shalanda
on 6/11/08 9:45 am
Hi Haley, first you need to make an appt. for the information class , to see and hear how the different surgeries work. their very helpful, in helping you decide what procedure is best for you. the classes show & tell how you can eat , what not to eat how slow to eat and how much to chew.the second step would be, to make an appt. with the doctor that you would like to do the procedure, then that's when the insurance plays apart.I had to call in to see if procedure codes were covered under my insurance and it was.I also had to show proof of at least 5 years of being unsuccessful with diet and exercise.you also have to go to a psychologist to make sure your going to be able to handle this MAJOR change in your life...one thing i can say , i was terrified but, i kept GOD first ,and i was successful.I turned 1 year post-op on may 29, 2008.before i had the surgery i weighed 316.05, now i weigh 189 and i've lost 130 pounds and i wear a size 14 in pants XL shirts.this surgery was a blessing to me. I had RNY GASTRIC bypass, and now i'm living life. if u need me i'm here. ~~Shalanda, a new friend
barbie1963
on 6/11/08 11:51 pm - Parsonsfield, ME
Hi, Yes, plus you do have to find out from your insurance if you need a referral from your doctor and from the surgeons office. My insurance doesnt require a referral but my surgeon did require a referral. Once you go to the informational seminar it will make more sense and hopefully the info they give you will make easier for you to understand. Good luck, keep us informed! Take care and God Bless
lisainphilly
on 6/12/08 7:07 am - Philadelphia, PA
I know how you feel. I felt ovewhelmed at first. Call the surgeons office and ask what the steps are and where to start. Here's how mine went: step 1 Consultation with surgeon (just called up and made an appointment, didn't need a referal, but if you need one, it's no big deal) step 2 the surgeon had me go to an informational seminar that explained in detail both types of surgeries band and bypass, and told you exactly how each one is done, how much you can expect to lose and how fast, and what the possible complications are and how they will be handled. Step 3 got a letter of medical necessity from my primary doctor faxed to the surgeons office. Step 4 paid my program fee, 350 dollars which covered the nutritionists and psych consult. step 5 the surgeons office, upon receiving the program fee, set up appointments for me for the psychiatric consult and the nutritionist, which were both on the same day which made it very convienient. step 6 had to go to a teaching class (surgeons office booked this for me, they guided me along the whole process) to learn how and what to eat both before and after the surgery and how to care for myself before and after. step 7 had some testing done, upper G.I., abdominal ultrasound and bloodwork (all covered by insurance) step 8 when doctors office received the test results, they called to tell me to come in and see the doctor. step 9 he told me I had to have my gallbladder out when I have surgery, but otherwise everything was good to go and asked me to pick a date, which I did (june 23) step 10 got the pre admision testing done, bloodwork, ekg, consult with anesthiologist and pre registered at the hospital now I'm just drinking my two weeks of liquids that my doc requires (not all of them require this, but I have a fatty liver we're trying to shrink) and on the 23rd I report to admissions. I know it sound involved, but just take it step by step and know that the administrative staff at your surgeons office will guide you through everything and make all necessary appointments and testing and everything for you. they make it very easy. I was overwhelmed and didn't know where to start either, but I just relied on the surgeons office to guide me. p.s. my first hmo wasn't so great about covering the surgery, so I switched insurance, the doctors secretary can tell you how good/bad your insurance is with this surgery. GOOD LUCK! Lisa
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 790 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 783 views