Has anyone's Lap Band failed to work, so you had it removed & had the Gastric Bypass done...

Marie R.
on 6/30/08 4:30 am - Pickerington, OH
I had my Lap Band surgery on 12/26/07. A few days ago, it was 6 months since my surgery. I have had 4 fills put in but each time I don't notice any difference. I have watched my diet and made sure to get enough protein in each day. I drink 8-10 glasses of water every day. I even did a lot of searching on various forums to see if I was missing something. Today is June 30, 2008 and I am still only down 10 lbs from my starting weight. I am very frustrated with this band because it hasn't worked the way I thought it would for me. I'm looking for someone that has experienced the same thing. I want to remove the Band and have a mini-Gastric Bypass done instead. Has anyone gone through this? If so, I would appreciate if you could share your experience with me. Thanks, Marie
zlynnc
on 7/15/08 12:54 pm - BEAUFORT, NC
Wow sorry to hear this, I Know your depressed. What does your Doctor say? Can you tell after each fill if it seems tighter or harder to eat? I had the regular by pass and my sister in law had the lap. She did great the first month, cause her mother in law followed her every footstep and she did only protein drinks but didn't lose for months after until she finally went back and complain enough to get a larger fill. Have you tried going over to the lap band board or the revision board to post your questions there? I wish I could help but I find it strange that your Doctor isn't concerned makes me wonder if he is really filling it enough....try the lap band board. Also try your home state board and see if anyone there has your doctor and if they might be having the same issues. Good Luck!
Christie N.
on 7/21/08 11:00 am - Riverton, UT
Before I had my RNY, I really was debating on which WLS to do. I wanted at first to do lapband because it wasn't as permanent and could be reversed (for a pregnancy. etc). But then after visiting this board for a few months and hearing people's frustration with the band, I decided to do RNY. Yes, it is more permanent but it is the most successful and has been around for 30 years! And if you have a lot of weight to lose, the band will only let you lose a few pounds a month. I wanted my excess 130 lbs gone in a year and RNY was the only way to do it! The band is successful for a lot of people, but I've heard more bad experiences than good about it. I would really research if you want to do the mini GB vs the RNY and then decide what you want to do. My Mom had the mini GB done by Dr Rutledge 5 yrs ago and suffered a lot of complications post op. That doctor we found out later had his license taken away in NC and had been sued several times for malpractice. So if you do the mini GB, don't go through that doctor!!!! GL to you! Christie
suelyn1260
on 7/24/08 10:13 am - OK
Hi Marie, I had the Lap-Band surgery on May 27, my 1st fill wasn't until July 2,(3 cc's) , I felt as if I wanted to eat anything I could get my hands on. I went back to my surgeons office on July 9 and he put another 1/2 cc in it. He said that if I still feel HUNGRY all of the time to call and make an other appointment.. He would need to "fill" it under X-ray and get it filled (properly) to where you dont feel this way. By doing this, it will save you 3 fills (visits). I have now lost 36 lbs. in 2 months, I can eat when I want, but not much. It helped me alot. Talk to your surgeon... tell him how you feel, tell him to fill it up more, you should have 'some' restriction. hope this helps, dont get discouraged. Sue
Most Active
Recent Topics
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 792 views
Canadian Surgens?
Balla · 0 replies · 785 views