Pre-Op Diets----Support, Questions & Tips

Tammy G.
on 5/20/11 10:03 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Hey Junies!  I thought we could offer each other support while we work on our pre-op diets, do some discussion, give each other tips, etc.  What do you think?

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/21/11 8:22 am
Sure.  Have you started your pre-op diet.  I started Optifast on April 26th.  My surgery is June 6th. It really has not been that bad.

Winnie

That_816_Princess
on 5/21/11 11:32 pm - MO
 I start my 2 week liquid on Monday May 30..on Memorial Day..thank goodness I do not have to cook..

I also learned that Rachel Ray's Chicken broth has less sodium them Swanson Low Sodium..Hope Rachel's taste as good if not better..:D

I will take back my body and take back my health! 
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leeshas-WLS-Journey-with-Gizmo-her-pouch/237635902947481 
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheLovelyRANDOMNESS
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/locdagoddess

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/23/11 10:53 am
Cooking would be hard on your first day.  Going to a picnic would be difficult too.  We usually go to my brothers because he has a pool.  Memorial day is usually the first official day of his pool season.  But this year,  I'm not sure.  We have had so much rain that I am expecting Noah and his ark real soon!

Winnie

Tammy G.
on 5/22/11 10:02 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I started my pre-op diet May 26th.  It is no more than 30 grams of carbs and at least 60-70 grams of protein.  So far, so good.  I have been using Atkin's Advantage shakes to up my protein, but I don't really care for shakes.  I have the Chocolate Royale--I put about 5 ounces in the freezer and then eat it like ice cream--it isn't the consistency of ice cream, but it is pleasant and takes awhile to eat and tastes like a fudgecicle.  

I am glad my doc didn't have me do Optifast or an all liquid diet--I would have done it, and I'm ready for all liquids after surgery.  I miss my daily banana & yogurt breakfast, but to limit the carbs I'd only get a couple of spoons of yogurt and a bite or 2 of a banana.  I might get some anyway, weigh the portions I'm allowed.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/23/11 10:50 am
We can have 2 Optifast bars instead of shakes so I do get to chew each day.  Plus we can have up to 2 cups of SF jello a day and up to 1 cup of either, celery, green peppers, cucumbers or lettuce.  So I can have a small salad.  But for dressing all I am allowed to have is red wine vinegar.  I add splenda to it and its not bad.

I'm not much of a jello fan but I do try to chew it.  But I love the veggies.

The biggest issue I have with Optifast is the price.  But it keeps me on the straight and narrow.

Winnie

Tammy G.
on 5/23/11 11:13 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 I guess I can see the benefits of Optifast or other meal replacements--it completely takes out the guesswork of what and how much.  

Has anyone started getting ketone breath?  I hate it, but I know it is a sign that pre diet is working ;)
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/26/11 10:58 am
Optifast has carbs and sugar in it.  I was quite suprised.  So,  no ketosis yet.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 5/24/11 1:23 am - Elkton, MD
Thankfully, I dont have a long pre op diet. Just the 2 days before all clear liquids and sugar free jello. Cant wait to get this show on the road. Only 5 weeks left!
therealleigh
on 5/25/11 3:48 am - Matthews, NC
My pre op liquid diet starts Tuesday, May 31. It is clear liquids and protein drinks of 70 grams a day. I do get to have sf Popsicles and sf jello. I am shopping for it this weekend. I figure that 2 weeks will be the hardest for me, but I can do it. I am excited.
Most Active