Weening off....

princessfrogee
on 5/28/11 8:35 am - AL
I decided to put myself on a pre-pre-op diet.  I decided a few weeks ago that I was going to ween off of things slowly leading up to the surgery date (June 21).  Weening off of Diet Coke was not hard for me.  I usually only had 1-2 a day spread out over the day.  I even have some cans I found in the garage when I was organizing our shelves in there the other day and haven't even wanted them.  So first step was a success.

Next step was to cut back on carbs and portion control.  I want to slowly start eating less and less so that once I do get to the real pre-op liquid diet it won't be so hard.  I have done well on portion control...mostly.  I do great early in the day, but by dinner I want the full deal.  I have convinced myself that because I am eating less meat and more veggies that it isn't such a big deal, but post-op I have to focus most on protein and get out of this way of thinking.  So that one is sort of a half success??  Maybe not  ha ha

The cutting back on carbs has been another one.  It seems every meal we have has carbs in it.  So have to get better at just not even putting them on the plate or just a small portion.

I think this next week I am going to pull out a saucer as my plate and that will help hugely all around.

Just wondering if anyone else is pre-prepping and how it is going for you?

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
kim_in_alabama
on 5/29/11 1:05 am
I am starting on the 1st throught the 9th with meal replacement drinks with protein in them.  Then on the 12th full liquid.  right now I have miso soup for lunch at work and a protein shake for breakfast.  It's the dinner part at thome that kills me.  But I'm getting there. 
--Keep me posted we will get through together.  Did they tell you how much you had to loose before surgery?

HW:306  SW:291  CW: 265  GW:165      
princessfrogee
on 5/29/11 1:49 am - AL

No, they have never said how much I needed to lose.  When I first started this process, I was going to do lapband and that was almost a yr ago.  I have since changed my mind to doing RNY and have only talked to the surgeon's "bariatric navigator" as they have her titled.  ha ha  I go in for my pre-op on the 8th.  I am already down about 40 lbs from when I first met the surgeon and I am sure I will go down more pre-op on the liquid diet.  What scares me is even now my BMI is still at 46.6 and from what I have read the higher BMI tend to have harder time getting past the fatty liver issue.  I am paying out of pocket so CANNOT afford to have them go in and NOT complete this.  So I have to work hard.  I read one poster say they ultrasounded her liver pre-op so I am definitely going to be asking about that option. 

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 5/29/11 4:29 am
Congrats on being down 40 lbs.  That is great!  Less you have to lose with surgery.
I think you are smart to de-carb now.  You will have to do it anyway.  It will make it easier. 
I have pretty much given up coke/pepsi.  I think I have had 2 in the last 5 weeks.  I started to de-carb before I started Optifast.  I think that helped.  I now drink half-caff coffee in the morning and decaf at night.  Going caffiene free is going to be the killer for me because my surgeon wants that to be permanent.  I'm not sure I can do that.

Complex carbs are okay,  you don't have to get rid of all complex carbs.  It's the white stuff, flour, sugar, bread, white potatoes, pasta, white rice that you have to watch.

One of the routine tests they do at our bariatric office is an ultrasound of the liver and gall bladder.  That way there are no suprises and the surgeon can determine if he needs to take the gall bladder out.

Winnie

princessfrogee
on 5/29/11 6:16 am - AL
Winnie - My gaul bladder was taken out yrs ago, thank goodness.  So that is one less obstacle I have to stress over.  They never mentioned doing an ultrasound at pre-op, but I will fully welcome it.  They just said I have to first meet with the anesthesiologist, then the heart thing, then I will come to the surgeons office to talk to him.  Oh and somewhere in there do bloods.  So hopefully she just forgot to mention the ultrasound.    Yes, the complex carbs are my little friends or at least they have been the wrong kinds of friends for years.  ha ha  You don't realize how much is in your diet until you are looking out for them!  ha ha  But I am being stricter on myself pre-op and not doing any at all as much as possible.

mlyssa971
on 5/30/11 11:34 am
Ive started my diet a little earlier than the paperwork says but I am currently replacing one meal with a protein shake and cut down on carbs fat and calories. I am walking for exercise and tomorrow is my gall bladder ultra sound. 2 weeks out I go to 1 meal 2 shakes then liquids 24 hrs prior. Dropping sodas was not a problem for me I am a water drinker and have always drank about 3 gallons a day.
jeremiahhll
on 6/4/11 1:52 pm - WA
Defiantly substituting the proteins for full meals is how I have lost 50 lb in the last 4 months. My doctor has said that I have lost enough weight he is not concerned too much about my liver at this point. I am starting the protein replacements in the AM that will be 14 days pre-op for me.  I want to lose as much as possible before surgery so I will be having mostly salad, bars, and shakes. I recommend getting the magic bullet from the TV or online because you get two for the price of one. I keep one at home and one at work. I am going a little extreme and replacing all of my meals with protein shakes, and bars. I really like the premier protein bars and shakes low carbohydrates high protein. Good luck and remember not to make yourself miserable or it will not last. Good luck

Most Active