Two weeks to surgery starting liquid only

lorindac
on 6/3/11 12:53 pm - durham, NC

Hello everyone I am very excited to find this site. I am scheduled for surgery on june 20 and starting tomorrow i will be on my all liquid diet to reduce my liver. This has been a long journey for me that i started last september with one dr but with them i felt like i was a number. So in Feburary as i was watching tv i saw a commercial for Rex hospital here and I called and they referred me to my current dr. Dr. Enochs he is awesome i was actually approved for surgery on 3/31 but due to work and training a new hire i waited until june. I was a little nervous at first but i have found some awesome support systems . if anyone can give any advice for the liver reduction diet that would be great. Since I am a single mom i cant throw out the food in my house but i know i am doing this to get healthy so that i can be around for my daughter. my highest weight has been 284 and i have 20 lbs to lose.

Sugar Mama
on 6/4/11 2:34 am - amityville, NY
Hey ...my reasons for doing this is also so that I can get healthy for my children. I started the liquid diet yesterday this is day two for me. I have to do this so my liver can be smaller on June 14....and God know I do not want to have to do this all over again with a push back date. I have been considering this surgery for years.....been on this forum for years....finally decided to do it and my insurance was cooperative. I had a dream a long time ago that I did this surgery and was very happy with myself when I looked in the mirror at my profile....my stomach was flat in my dream. I carry to much belly fat. My friend had the same belly but huger....and ended up with cancer. I have to do this for me .....and plus my two babies....one who is Autistic ...he needs a strong viral mom. And my daughter is 13 and she needs to see her mom not tired all the time. You know? Well June is our time to do this....Lets do it!
lorindac
on 6/4/11 6:00 am - durham, NC

I know exactly what you are talking about. My daughter is a competitive cheerleade so we are always at practice or competing and sometimes i am so tired but i have to keep pushing forward for her because i'm all that she has here. but she is my strongest supporter and motivator. So lets get healthy and do this.

Sugar Mama
on 6/4/11 10:08 pm - amityville, NY
 I love that your daughter is your cheerleader.....that is awesome.....My daughter was nervous until she found out that I got medical clearance for the surgery she is more at ease and in agreement now....but she still is keeping her eyes on my chocolate shake boxes....LOL
therealleigh
on 6/4/11 2:52 am - Matthews, NC
This is my 5th day on the liquid diet. It has not been as bad as imagined. My stomach stills growls a lot and talks to me. I just keep to a schedule of my protein shake at four hour intervals, then sf Popsicle, sf jello and broth. I drink water and crystal light constantly.

Good luck!
Sugar Mama
on 6/4/11 8:46 am - amityville, NY
 I think I should add more water also. I did have an Iced Passion tea from star bucks which is decaff herbal tea with a few sweet and lows and seeing that red mixture made me feel like it was a diet punch. I think I am going to go back later and buy a box of the tea keep a pitcher of it nearby. It taste pretty good....Those jello's are lifesavers. I am saving my broth to have for dinner ...but that low sodium is not that great ...but I have to do it ...I do not want to retain any water at this point ....
kaleidos
on 6/4/11 2:12 pm
I know it sounds odd, but the more liquids you drink the less water you retain. (You also really do feel better and lose more weight.)

The low sodium broth really can be quite horrible, but you can add your favorite herbs and spices which makes the flavor a lot better and you won't even notice the lack of salt. A mix of chicken and vegetable broths also helps.

And the jello certainly does help - it makes you feel like you are "eating" food which after a few weeks of only liquid becomes very useful.

Weight loss includes 57.7 pounds before surgery. Not weighing until 2 weeks after surgery.
Sugar Mama
on 6/4/11 10:05 pm - amityville, NY
 Good idea...haven't thought about adding herbs and spices ...there is a Mrs Dash garlic  blend that I absolutely love ....OMG I am going to the store today when I get off of work. Never thought about mixing them either .....great idea. I know one thing I had the most excrutiating heartburn last night so today I am sipping that broth...thats for sure....LOL...God knows I was guzzling....
lorindac
on 6/5/11 12:16 am - durham, NC
That is awesome. I am gonna get some Mrs. Dash today. i wonder if i could use my natures seasoning instead. because like you the broth was no joke and it does not taste the best at all. My stomach was doing some weird things yesterday to but i made it thru day 1 without cheating i did suck a piece of  sugar free hard candy though. but i will survive especially since i know i can use seasonings.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 6/4/11 6:53 am
If the doctor does not have you on a specific product like Optifast, find a high protein, low sugar protein drink or powder.  Use regular zero calorie beverages to drink, and sf jello in between protein drink meals.  My calorie limit each day is 1200.  I have been on the diet 5 1/2 weeks and have lost 30 lbs.

It's not that bad and gets easier the further you go. Good luck.

Winnie

Most Active