Getting Ready for 6/20

41andFabulous
on 6/8/11 1:55 am, edited 6/8/11 2:02 am - Dallas, TX
Greetings from Texas!

This is my first post after a month of reading messages. I am on day 3 of my pre-op diet and my surgery is scheduled for 6/20. I have lost 4lbs on my pre-op diet so far and it is manageable other than a few headaches.

Question - I am traveling week 2 and 4 post op. What suggestions do you have for me? I will have refrig and microwave. Not an optional trip.

Thank You!

Tammy G.
on 6/8/11 9:15 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Howdy, fellow Texan!  Welcome to the Junies Club ;)

I'm traveling for surgery (to Austin) and will come home 2 weeks post op.  People have told me to be sure and have a good pillow to hold against my tummy for the ride home.  I'll also make sure I have plenty of stuff to hydrate....sip sip sip.

As for what to take with you...it would depend on what stage you are...probably be liquids and starting pureed--about anything you need you could take besides frozen stuff.  

Good luck!
41andFabulous
on 6/8/11 1:55 pm - Dallas, TX
Thanks for the reply.  Please stay in touch I would love to hear your progress. Thank you!

princessfrogee
on 6/12/11 12:40 pm - AL
Mine is 6/21.  From what I understand, by wk 2 you should be on either pureed foods or very soft foods, depending on your surgeon.  Some skip the pureed alltogether.  Depending on how you are traveling, where you plan on eating, etc. may factor in also.  Traveling so soon post-op may be taxing on you and you may not feel up to eating much anyway.  Personally, I would stick with cream soups and maybe scrambled eggs just to be safe. 

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
41andFabulous
on 6/12/11 12:49 pm - Dallas, TX
Thanks for your reply. I will be thinking about you on Tuesday.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hope and pray that it is easier than I have made it out to be in my head.

How are you coming on your pre-op? My weekend has been a *****allenging.

princessfrogee
on 6/12/11 2:12 pm - AL
I only have a seven day pre-op and will begin that on Tuesday.  I was doing so well a few wks ago weening myself down.  I was completely off of Diet Coke and drinking 64-70 oz water daily and had cut way back on carbs and was cutting back on portion controls as well in order to hopefully prevent such a "cutting cold turkey" shock to the system.  But my husband is a Government Contractor working overseas and came home on leave a few wks ago and it went downhill fast.    Thought I would just start up again once he was to leave tomorrow, but he got his leave extended and is now home until Friday.  I do love that I get a few extra days with him home, but the pre-op diet is going to be a challenge I think.  We will see.  Crossing fingers!! ha ha

41andFabulous
on 6/13/11 1:19 am - Dallas, TX
Hi there -- Enjoy your husband and do the best you can. The pre-op diet is not easy for a lot of us. Are you having the sleeve? What does your pre-op diet consist of? Mine is 1000 calories, min of 50 grams of protein and less than 40 grams of fat. I still find that I am getting around 2k grams of sodium and around 65grams of carb. The lean cuisine meals are loaded with this stuff but your calorie count is low.
princessfrogee
on 6/13/11 3:19 am - AL
I was given no restrictions/guidelines as to calories, etc.  The surgeon just said liquid diet.  In fact, straight from his packet it says...

"7 days prior to procedure it is necessary to consume a full liquid diet of Slim Fast or Sugar Free Instant Breakfast.  This will aid in shrinking the liver and making the procedure easier to perform.  3-4 Slim Fast or Sugar Free Instant Breakfasts should be consumed with at least 64 oz. of sugar free liquids (preferably water) to prevent dehydration."

This is all that was in his packet.  But I did ask and was ok'd for cream soups, broth, SF jello, pudding, etc.  Because I have hypoglycemia, I knew I would have issues regarding protein, so I am adding peanut butter flour to my instant breakfast shake and will add unflavored protein powder to my soups.  I tried the peanut flour with the instant breakfast this morning to see if I would like it and it was good w/a little bit of Splenda. 

41andFabulous
on 6/13/11 1:20 pm - Dallas, TX

Very interesting. I have a liquid only diet the day before the surgery. Keep me posted on your progress. Thank You!

Most Active